Tame Bunny or Rabid Rabbit? (Read 896 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On today's run I saw a bunny beside the path, nibbling on grass and dandelions. As I got closer I moved over to the opposite side of the path, as he was not timidly hopping away like most wild bunnies. Then I noticed that he was quite a bit larger than wild rabbits. And sort of a chocolately gray, not the usual brownish of a wild rabbit. And so tame to not take off as I got closer. Hmmm...gotta wonder if he was an escaped pet. But...as much as I was tempted to stop and see if I could pet him, I also know that rabid animals can behave tamely, too. And this also gave me pause...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Big grin Love that movie! Run awayyyyy!
      2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
        Ask Jimmy Carter about this one. You are too young to remember. Also, my father once shot a rabbit in self defense. True story.

Yeah. Please, stay away, Zoomy. Ok, on this note, can I admit something semi-embarrassing? I'd probably run more trail runs, if it were not for my concern about wild animals. Yes, they scare me more than cars. I feel that in a trail race, the sheer volume of people makes it somehow more safe. But for an average training run, I just don't feel safe running the trails alone, though I bet it is probably really enjoyable. There are reports of cougars in my area (and not the ones that hang out at gyms to snag 20-somethings). A guy at my local running store once told me, he was running the trails in our area and a bear approached him and he rain 2 miles, all-out.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Old, Slow, Happy

On today's run I saw a bunny beside the path, nibbling on grass and dandelions. As I got closer I moved over to the opposite side of the path, as he was not timidly hopping away like most wild bunnies. Then I noticed that he was quite a bit larger than wild rabbits. And sort of a chocolately gray, not the usual brownish of a wild rabbit. And so tame to not take off as I got closer. Hmmm...gotta wonder if he was an escaped pet. But...as much as I was tempted to stop and see if I could pet him, I also know that rabid animals can behave tamely, too. And this also gave me pause...
            I remember the Jimmy Carter issue, but I'm old. Your rabbit is most likely a pet that was released because it was no longer wanted. Little bunnies are nice, big rabbits are scary. My daughter raised rabbits for 4-H. She was always scratched up. In our small town, there are all colors of rabbits that have been set loose.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah...these were shot less than 10 miles away. I also ran a trail race in a park 45 minutes away last Fall, "Run With a Cougar." A few years ago several reliable sources saw a mountain lion in/near the park. Black bear are also not unheard of around here. So I won't run trails in areas where there aren't plenty of people/houses. Those boars scare me more than anything. Pigs are smart and aggressive.

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We have a cabin up in the Maine woods, in a very remote area. Our neighbor is a Maine Guide and asked our permission to bait bears on our property, because there are so many black bears there! We have a lot of birch trees, which they love. We've owned the land for 18 years and never seen a single bear ourselves. We don't let our 11-year-old daughter wander around by herself, but DS16 runs up and down the logging roads without any problem (so far...). No cougars, although another neighbor took a photo of a little bobcat. Lots of moose, but they're pretty shy.
                xor

Two really bizarre movies involving killer wabbits... 1. Night of the Lepus (this movie really, really sucks) 2. Donnie Darko (this movie is either The Best Ever or just dumb and annoying depending on how much you like 'dark' movies and how chemically augmented you are) I saw a cougar with my very own eyes in Coppell Texas (suburb of Dallas) last year. It was strange. Every now and then, someone there reports a sighting, and to this day, the city claims the sightings must be loose dogs. NO WAY. UNH UNH. Bear baiting makes baby Stevie Ray cry.

2. Donnie Darko (this movie is either The Best Ever or just dumb and annoying depending on how much you like 'dark' movies and how chemically augmented you are).
                    I'm going with dumb and REALLY annoying. So how chemically augmented am I?

Lazy idiot

So how chemically augmented am I?
                      Did you like Charlie the Unicorn?

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ewww....I hate that thing!Sleepy

~ Sarah Kay

omg. i think I just peed my pants.
                          xor

omg. i think I just peed my pants.
                            I didn't say WHAT chemicals you'd be augmented with. You stink.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I didn't say WHAT chemicals you'd be augmented with. You stink.
                              I wonder if she was eating asparagus...

~ Sarah Kay

xor

No SRLow-down happening now, that's for sure.