GI issues w/ endurance gatorade? (Read 473 times)

uncontrollable

Just curious if anyone has trouble with the endurance formula gatorade? Since they've used it at Boston I have had major nausea & difficulty digesting it (swish, swish, swish) hard to take more fluids because of it. I don't want to carry my own fluids. I like to be as gear free as possible on race day. I am going to use it for my long runs from here on in to see if it gets better while training. Even when I'm done running & should be re-fueling with food - I find it impossible because of lingering nausea - for hours, 3-4 sometimes. I've run many other marathons with regular gatorade & even powerade & never had this problem.

peace

For shorter races I usually just grab water. For longer races I usually grab a cup of water and one of sports drink and cut the concentration, regardless of the brand. MTA: this may not be practical with hordes of runners, like Boston.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

uncontrollable

I should have specified: I am only referring to marathon distance - my stomach is pretty tolerant of anything (maybe not an italian sub w/ hots) 18mi & under.

peace

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

High salt load makes it tough to digest AND makes it an osmotic agent in the gut -> nausea and diarrhea.
          xor

I do ok with the Endurance formula if I dilute it somewhat. In a race, I'll grab a cup of endurance and a cup of water and drink some of each. BUT, I know lots of folks who have trouble with Endurance. I'm pretty sure Trent 'splained it in a thread once, and perhaps he'll stumble into this one. Endurance has the same basic makeup as milk of magnesia or golytely or something. (Ok, not really either one of those things... which are very different from each other... but it is similar to stuff you wouldn't normally consider during a race.) Edited to add: see, Trent got here first

mikeymike

I never noticed that Boston uses Endurance formula. Yuck. Good to know. MissPratt have you tried using Gu or similar and just drinking water? That's what I generally do for marathons. mmm, Italian sub w/ hots.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey