Are you running towards or away from something? (Read 1093 times)

Just Be

I'm starting to really love the question, it has generated some really cool and insightful answers. As far as why I run, I thought about it, and the short version is that I'm running both towards and away from something. I've always wanted to see where the performance road ends for me but I never trained hard enough to find out, and if I don't find out before my prime is over than I'll regret it for the rest of my life, so I'm running from the regret and towards the peaceful future that will come from knowing that I truly molded myself into the best athlete I could possibly be.
      Running away from a heart attack (almost 10 years ago) and a generally unhealthy lifestyle. Yes

Just Be

Running away from a heart attack (almost 10 years ago) and a generally unhealthy lifestyle. Yes
        You had a heart attack? You've since put out some awesome times! Nice. You should be an inspiration for all who've suffered from heart attacks and feel like they should hide from physical activity afterward to protect themselves.
          Yes, good question. A song I have on my i-pod, pretty much "nails it on the head" for me. "I'm In A Hurry" sung by Alabama... (just one verse & chorus) I'm in a hurry to get things done Oh, I rush and rush until lifes no fun All I really gotta gotta do is live and die But, I'm in a hurry and don't know why I hear a voice It says I'm running behind I better pick up my pace I'ts a race and there ain't no room for someone in second place
          I love that song. I am running to a promise and away from diabetes medication and high blood pressure

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I'm running away from my old lifestyle of sitting on "the cheesy poof couch of doom" (those that listen to a particular podcast know what I'm talking about). It used to be that I couldn't even climb up two flights of stairs, empty armed, without getting out of breath. To boot I was obese and miserable. I'm running away from heart disease and cancer (both of which run in both sides of my family) I'm running away from that because I don't EVER want to go back. Evil grin I'm also running towards a healthier lifestyle. I run toward new running goals and seeing what my body can do. I run toward the future to learn from my past. I run toward living to 100 or beyond and still kicking some serious butt. I'm running towards my little goals that I set for myself to keep me going out the door every day. I run away from the wind because lets face it, running toward it really sucks. Tongue
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Oh Mighty Wing

Am I the only one who runs toward cookies, cake, greasy food, and other yummy goodness!!! Tongue

thumbs up!

I'm running from stress, crabbiness, bad attitude, laziness and running to the happiness and pride I almost always feel when done.
                2010 Goals
                1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                3. sub 30 min 5k
                4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                  I grew up with someone who was a track star in high school, very fast at distances under 800m. He always told me he was running away from everyone behind him (imagine them with knives...run fast!). I tend to get plenty happy running to just run, not to or away from anything, but I could set things like running to a PR or away from overweight.

~J

Beatin' on the Rock

I run away from the wind because lets face it, running toward it really sucks. Tongue
                    HA! I LOVE running into the wind. Cools off my hotness. Cool Thought provoking question... I think ... I'm running away ... from myself. I'd better speed up, huh?
                    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Originally I ran away - away from poor health and unhealthy lifestyle. I've pretty much outdistanced that (still working on it a bit, though) and primarily I'm running towards stuff now, specifically I'm in pursuit of speed.
                        I am running both away from my past of being overweight and lazy (almost away from this) and towards a healthier me and my goal of the 26.2 which I am almost half way to. Smile
                        "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                        My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
                          well i used to always run away from something. away from feeling bad after performing bad, away from stress, and away from fun, quite frankly. but recently, i've found new meaning in running, and i run towards things. i run towards making varsity for my team, towards achieving time goals, and especially towards running in the state meet and feeling the rush of a lifetime.
                            i am running through stuff. through job stress, through personal loss and personal joy, through my crushes, through my mortified moments, through breakups and moves and concerns about people i care about, etc etc. i took a couple of weeks off in january and man. life did NOT feel right.
                              I just run because it's fun.
                              dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

I think I run because it feels so good when I stop.
                                Steve Boyett
                                Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                                Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!