Hamstring pain and tightness - but not while running! (Read 2085 times)

I severely strained my right hamstring about 6 weeks ago. I am pleased to say that it's been healing very well and I've been able to get my mileage back up to 25 miles a week with no real issue. Leg is only slightly tight at times, and it works itself out after the first mile or so. The big issue I'm having with the darn thing is when I drive to or from work or have to be in the car for more than 1/2 hour. The hamstring really starts to tighten up and ache after about a 1/2 hour of sitting in the car. It only happens when I drive and not when I'm sitting at work or home. I've adjusted the seat in as many ways that I can think of with little relief. It will loosen up after I get out of the car and walk for a little. Also happens when I drive my wife's car. Any advice to help with this problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris

dork.major dork.

Right or left hamstring? Automatic or standard transmission?

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Right hamstring, automatic transmission.

dork.major dork.

I don't know then, my guess is that depressing the gas pedal is aggravating it somehow. I guess I would treat driving like I normally treat running with an injury -- stretching and ice.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Not to sound like a smarta$$, but - where do you keep your wallet when you drive? It's a long shot, but maybe it's in just the right spot to aggravate your injury a little. Try putting it next to you on the seat and see what happens? Other than that, I got nuthin'.
              You know, I've tried taking my wallet out of my back pocket but it still doesn't seem to help. I guess I just need to keep stretching and strengthening the leg and hope that it helps. It's kinda funny, I usually complain that I can't run because of an injury. Now I'm complaining that I can't sit still in a car for 45 minutes on my drive to work!
                My hamstring advice is stop stretching it. Like completely stop. Keep on keepin' on with the strengthening - just don't go crazy with it. When you run - avoid speed. Yes. All of it. Keep them all easy. A month or two of that - and your hammies will thank you.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

That's the crazy thing about this issue. I can run fine, actually have started to add some speedwork. My hamstring is OK to run on. It doesn't bother me any other time during the day, just when I drive in a car for more than about 35 - 40 minutes. Maybe I can talk my boss into letting be work from home. Save my hamstring, save gas and help the environment at the same time. I don't think she'll buy it!
                    That's the crazy thing about this issue. I can run fine, actually have started to add some speedwork. My hamstring is OK to run on. It doesn't bother me any other time during the day, just when I drive in a car for more than about 35 - 40 minutes. Maybe I can talk my boss into letting be work from home. Save my hamstring, save gas and help the environment at the same time. I don't think she'll buy it!
                    It's not so crazy. I would even say it's common. When I had hamstring problems last year, it didn't give me any problems when running - in fact after a couple miles of warming up - I'd feel great and think it was healthy enough to do speedwork. It wasn't until the next day that I'd notice it other places, like when sitting in my chair at work or maybe driving the car.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Bugs

My chiropractor does a treatment on me called graston treatment when something hurts. He effectively is scraping off the lesion and letting the muscle and fascia work normal. I bet one treatment and your hamstring would be fine. I have had this done once on my hamstring and it was fixed with one scrape. Lots of chiropractors offer this service. After my insurance pays, I only pay $6. If you have to pay $60 it's well worth it.

Bugs

Bugs34, You mention "scraping off the lesion"; how does this work and is it as painful as it sounds? I think of scraping as something that would be done through surgery. Is that the case here? I've never gone to a chiropractor for an issue like this. Would certainly be something worth looking into if you say that it works. Thanks so much for the input.

The Greatest of All Time

I will throw this out there....I had a nagging hamstring thing for about 10 months. It never hurt when I ran but if I drove in a car or sat down too long at work it tightened up and started to hurt. I could never get rid of this thing no matter how much I stretched. It turned out I had a big knot in the muscle. I let my wife knead the hell out of it one night and it hurt really bad. But it completely fixed the problem.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Ya know DJ, I think that may be the problem. The issue is trying to find the knot, if there is one. I onces worked with a massage therapist for another injury in the hamstring area (actually, I think I pulled mt butt muscle during my first marathon). She did this thing with her elbow - digging it into my hamstring and butt - hurt really bad, but loosened the darn thing up. Turns out there was a knot in the area that needed some aggressive treatment. Before my painful session with her, I couldn't run 4 miles without cramping. After she worked on me, I ran a 20 miler 3 days later with no problem.

Bugs

Bugs34, You mention "scraping off the lesion"; how does this work and is it as painful as it sounds? I think of scraping as something that would be done through surgery. Is that the case here? I've never gone to a chiropractor for an issue like this. Would certainly be something worth looking into if you say that it works. Thanks so much for the input.
                              The procedure is minor, non-invasive. They use stainless steel tools that are suppose to be shaped to get around the muscles better. A lubricant is used so the tools glide over the muscles. He will glide the tool over the injury. My guy can feel with his hand and know right where a problem is. I've had several cases where I would say it hurts in my "achilles" and without me even telling him "ya it hurts there" he finds the problem. It takes only minutes for him to glide the tool over the injury, effectively it's a deep massage and typically doesn't cost any more than a massage would have. The procedure also works if it's just a knot. Often when I read on the forums of people's injuries where they rest, resumed running and it still hurts I think graston would fix. It gets rid of the scar tissue that is limiting the muscle from functioning normally. I've done it on myself using some massage oil and the back of the butter knife. If you do this, one tip is if you see red dots stop. You may bruise some, that is normal. People think the "stick" is great, your butter knife is a much better choice. I'd recommend you call around and ask if they perform this therapy.

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

Before my painful session with her, I couldn't run 4 miles without cramping. After she worked on me, I ran a 20 miler 3 days later with no problem.
                                I would bet you have another knot then. And you're right, once those suckers are gone it makes a huge differnce. I get them in my calves all the time.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.