New MacBook Air (Read 782 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xhristopher

Me want. Now.

An Apple netbook. When asked about netbooks Steve Jobs said "We don't know how to build a sub-$500 computer." That much is true.

They, don't know how to make a computer for under $500 (ignoring the $499 iPad), because they over charge.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/files/2010/09/mac01.jpg

bhearn

I'm very tempted... I was waiting for this to decide between an Air and a MacBook Pro for my next laptop. The memory, SSD, screen, and weight are all improved from the previous generation. The only disappointment is the processor, but there's really no way Apple could have put an i5 or an i7 in there with Intel's current stance on integrated graphics.

More exciting is the prospect of a Mac App store. It's high time for that.

xhristopher

They, don't know how to make a computer for under $500 (ignoring the $499 iPad), because they over charge.

That's a pretty sweet hackintosh replacement for a Mac Pro, which represents about 5% of MAC sales, but it makes for a pretty damn awkward portable.

evanflein

I want it, too. Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

Reminds me of when cheapskate consumer reporter Clark Howard went on a long rant about how the iPod was too expensive so he got his wife a cheaper mp3. Then went on a rant about how difficult the mp3 was to use. He never connected the dots.

BTW evanflein, cool license plate!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love my cheapy Mac Mini with a beautiful 22" LG monitor (Apple monitors don't impress me for the money, but their computers do).  First one lasted me about 5 years and the primary issue when we upgraded to new was that it wasn't handling newer video stream formats well.  DH has a much pricer HP that has been nothing but trouble.  If he weren't a gamer he'd have gone Mac for his home machine, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Reminds me of when cheapskate consumer reporter Clark Howard went on a long rant about how the iPod was too expensive so he got his wife a cheaper mp3. Then went on a rant about how difficult the mp3 was to use. He never connected the dots.

BTW evanflein, cool license plate!

Except, that I in no way suggested the use of Windows. I would suggest Linux, since it is easier and faster than OS X. The only time I use a Mac is at work and that was because they gave me the computer.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Easier and faster if you have nothing in your life to do but geek out about building your linux box.

And how often have you used Linux? I can do pretty anything in Linux that a Mac user can do (with different programs of course).

bhearn

But can you find a non-Apple machine with the specs of the new Airs? Let alone ease of use, which does not equate to "I can do it".

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I can do pretty anything in Linux that a Mac user can do

Dude.  You are a professor in mathmatics.  Of course you can.

Heck, I can do pretty much anything on a PC I can do on a Mac, but with much more effort and much less satisfaction.

And what bhearn said.

Dude. You are a professor in mathmatics. Of course you can. Heck, I can do pretty much anything on a PC I can do on a Mac, but with much more effort and much less satisfaction. And what bhearn said.

But, I am talking about with similar effort and sometimes less. I wouldn't use my netbook more than the Macbook Pro that my department provided if that wasn't the case. The only time I use the Macbook is either at work (because it is already there) or because I need to run Mathematica or Matlab. And that is because my netbook only has a 1.2Ghz processor and it can't run those programs. Only sometimes does Linux seem like more effort. Case in point would be Linux support from Garmin. Although, I think I wrote a pretty good how to. However, this isn't Linux's fault rather Garmin's fault.

My wife also uses Linux. At first because I told her she should try it, and she loves it. She does boot into windows to Play Sims and Civilization (neither can be played on Mac in their current versions), which both can be played in Linux. Still haven't figured out why she does that.

But can you find a non-Apple machine with the specs of the new Airs? Let alone ease of use, which does not equate to "I can do it".

I wasn't bashing the Macbook Air. I actually think that if you want something that thin and light, with those spec, it is the way to go. I was commenting on the price statement.