Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

I suppose the good bad thing is we don't have to try and match great times we did when we had youth on your side! (sorry guys!) know how fast we can go now.
    Like it!
    I suppose the bad exciting thing is we don't know how fast we can go now.
    Though this sorta works well too.

Why is it sideways?

Though this sorta works well too.
      Absolutely!
        Hi - I am running a small (and uncertified) 5k this sunday. haven't raced a 5k in ages but the best i ever did was a 19:38 on the track on my own but got injured before i could take a crack at a good 5k race. I've been coming back from a sports hernia surgery in late october and have got mileage up to about 60mpw and have been working on my speed a little. most recent track effort was 6 x 1,200 in 4:29/4:30 with 90s walk recovery - last 1200 was definitely a tough one (had to close in 85 to hit 4:30) - there wasn't much chance i could have run a 7th at that pace. most recent tempo was 7m at 6:30 and HR was pretty steady. course is a flat out/back, probably long, and they likely wont be any competition at that kinda pace. what's the group vote on converting that into a sub 19? thanks, alan
        - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
          Hi - I am running a small (and uncertified) 5k this sunday. haven't raced a 5k in ages but the best i ever did was a 19:38 on the track on my own but got injured before i could take a crack at a good 5k race. I've been coming back from a sports hernia surgery in late october and have got mileage up to about 60mpw and have been working on my speed a little. most recent track effort was 6 x 1,200 in 4:29/4:30 with 90s walk recovery - last 1200 was definitely a tough one (had to close in 85 to hit 4:30) - there wasn't much chance i could have run a 7th at that pace. most recent tempo was 7m at 6:30 and HR was pretty steady. course is a flat out/back, probably long, and they likely wont be any competition at that kinda pace. what's the group vote on converting that into a sub 19? thanks, alan
          I ran 4 X 3/4 mile at about 19:55 pace for a 5k with 2 minutes rest in between each interval. About 5 days later I ran a 5k in 20:03. My time trial was with the track club so I had a little help in that I wasn't running alone. Based upon my effort last year I think you should be able to beat 19 since 6 minute pace looks like your pace. EDIT...Now that I open my eyes II see you did 6 X 3/4 mile at 6:00 pace....wow you should be 18:30 or under your next race.
            6:30 tempo for 7 miles. You are very fast. I think you are ready to go sub 19. My 7 mile tempo pace is between 6:50 to 6:55, so I still have ways to go.
            mikeymike

most recent tempo was 7m at 6:30 and HR was pretty steady.
              7 mi @ 6:30 would be a big workout for me. I'd be really surprised if you can't run well sub 19 easily right now, assuming a fair course obviously.

Runners run

Right on Hereford...

Alan, if you can't go sub-19 easily then I will eat my hat. And my hat is pretty disgusting, with all the dried sweat and salt crusties and such. You seem to be stronger than me and I ran sub-19 in my last five 5k's.
                  crap - looks like none of you are gonna give me any excuses for wimping out in the last mile. if i don't post a followup on sunday, then you know it went badly...... thanks.
                    crap - looks like none of you are gonna give me any excuses for wimping out in the last mile. if i don't post a followup on sunday, then you know it went badly...... thanks.
                    You did 4.5 miles of long intervals at 18:36 pace for a 5k. Just don't go out too fast in mile one and you should be good to go. Why don't you try and break 18 Sunday as it will make 19 seem like a breeze? (I am half kidding about the sub 18 but that will be your next goal after this race) You need to have some confidence. All the posters on here can see that you are a burner. Accept it chosen one Big grin
                      I agree with everyone else - these are close to/or sub 18 workout levels, not sub 19, where's a good Sub 18min 5k thread when you need one?!! Wink Good luck on Sunday Alan, the biggest challenge may be the lack of competition.
                        My Marathon training plan called for a 8 to 15k tune up today. But since I already ran a hard 8k and a very hard 1 mile race last weekend, I was just planning to do a 5 mile time trial on my own. I planned to run just slightly faster than my tempo pace, between 6:45 to 6:50. I did 3.7 mile warmup. Then I only managed to run 4 miles instead of 5. I could push for 5 but I had a bit too much hard running in the last 2 weeks and my next 2 workouts would also be tough, so I decided to pack it in after a pretty good 4 mile workout. I then ran 4.5 miles for cool down. Splits of my 4 mile time trial were: 6:51, 6:47, 6:47, 6:46
                          Splits of my 4 mile time trial were: 6:51, 6:47, 6:47, 6:46 That's pretty good - just a little over 27 - coming off the training you said you did recently. I did my first 10 mile run in 14 years yesterday. It was 75 degrees (earlier in the week we had 7 inches of snow and it got down to 8 the next morning - ahhhh March). I got tired/dehydrated the last 3 but ran 1:22 and today have no residual soreness. My weight is also down to 191 - I've lost 15 pounds since New Years! I am hoping to get my mileage up into the 30s either next week or the week after. Pretty much everyone in this thread really has a ton more, it looks like a lot of you focus on much longer races. I probably still rely on my speed more than most - I can still run a 200 in 28 seconds given 5 minutes to stretch. I think I can get under 19 running less than 40 miles per week by this summer, but at some point I will have to up my distance again to maintain improvement. Those 4x1200 and 6x1200 workouts - ugh, brutal!!
                            OK - so I ran the 5k, or should I say "5K"....... started with a 10k, about 250 runners total - but not too many serious runners. out/back, 20' hill down at the start, followed by a really tight 180 degree through a small gate.....no mile markers, - these are the 1/2 mile splits from the garmin goal was 6:06 pace 1/2 - 2:53 - 5:46 pace - started way fast (first 1/4 was at 5:31 pace.... then i got it under control - 2 runners ahead of me, 1 was doing the 10k, wasn't sure about the other 1 - 3:03 - right on pace, feeling good - no position changes 1 1/2 - 3:03 - we turned about here so i knew we were running short - 8:57 at the turn, 2nd place runner turned too, so i had some competition! 2 - 3:00 - passed the lead runner and he slowed as i went by 2 1/2 - hurting 3:06 3 - 3:00 heartrate max'd final time 18:06 - course measured 2.98 on the garmin - so 6:04 pace, which was the plan. 3.11 at that pace would have been 18:53. could of probably run that last mile quicker if i was racing someone. first race i have ever won! picked up $150 in prizes too. not bad for 18 minutes work! thanks for the feedback, definitely helped me.
                              Nice job Alan. It is good to see that you didn't just accept running with the leaders but you actually went past them even though you were hurting by 2.5 miles! Congrats on winning the race! I was anxious to hear your report.
                                Congrats Alan! Sounds like the lead guy(s) went out a little quickly. You were smart to keep your head - 2:53 for the first half isn't out of your head, and it definitely contributed to your third mile being close to goal pace. 2-2.5 miles is always the "dead zone" in a race and the best time to make a move if you have the energy....bet the guy you went by at that point couldn't hang with you for long.