Water Station Etiquette? (Read 1420 times)

Kill

As complicated as drinking a cup of water seems to be, I'm shocked it's not a class taught in our schools.

Passion is a rather frightening thing because if you have passion you don't know where it will take you.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xor

As complicated as drinking a cup of water seems to be, I'm shocked it's not a class taught in our schools.

Yes well.  Go to a race in Europe and experience the Tiny Bag of Water firsthand.

julz24

I normally tuck used water cups into my waste band. After the race I'll find the proper dispensary and dispose of them properly. I just can't imagine throwing garbage on the ground. It seems a bit tacky.

Yes well.  Go to a race in Europe and experience the Tiny Bag of Water firsthand.

At the Rotterdam Marathon they had cups with foam lids that had a "/\" cutout to drink out of and then the foam could be used to wipe the salt from your forhead...seemed way ahead of their time when I ran that in '09.

In 2010 I ran the Oberlichtenauer Sommerlauf (just north of Dresden) and it was sparkling water on the course. <--Not happy about this.

But there was beer + sausages + Germany v. Argentina on at the finish line Smile

laufenem

...and all of this is why I run trail ultras instead of road marathons.

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

I had venison at an aid station in one ultra. Haven't had it in a marathon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yep.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 20/21 July 2013

Boston Marathon 21 April 2014

Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 19/20 July 2014

I had venison at an aid station in one ultra. Haven't had it in a marathon.

The aid station was close to a rural highway, right?  You should have had the opossum -- it has more electrolytes.

“Everything you need is already inside.” -- Bill Bowerman

xor

Score was...

1, Car

0, possum

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

The aid station was close to a rural highway, right?  You should have had the opossum -- it has more electrolytes.

But chasing down an opossum isn't as much fun as chasing down a deer.

xor

Neither are terribly wily.

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

Neither are terribly wily.

Yeah but either one is probably 5 time more intelligent than me by halfway through an ultra of any kind any kind of race.

just a simple cat

I normally tuck used water cups into my waste band. After the race I'll find the proper dispensary and dispose of them properly. I just can't imagine throwing garbage on the ground. It seems a bit tacky.

Srsly?  I am picturing you with 12 plastic cups stuck in your pants.  Smile   Good for you, maybe you  could attach a trash bag just to use for them, and any gel packages too.

xor

You rang?

just a simple cat

Oops, I set off the Stevie Ray bat signal by mistook.   Smile