2014 iWatch Thingy (Read 271 times)

bhearn

With crappy iOS7.  The only reason I'll likely "upgrade" to the 6 would be for a more reliable iOS than 7.  It's been pretty much a complete disappointment when compared to iOSs 5 and 6, which never gave me a moment of irritation.  7, on the other hand, is forever unstable.  When I first installed it on my 4s I assumed that the issues were simply a matter of new software on old hardware.  But it's been no better on my 5s.  Still better than the Android I had prior to switching to iPhone (which would crash in the middle of the night on the charger and had to have the battery removed a minimum of 3x/day once they rolled-out the first major update), but not the reliability I expect from an Apple product.

Huh. I've had no issues with iOS 7, apart from it being as ugly as sin. But I don't think that's going to improve much with iOS 8. They really threw the baby out with the bathwater when they decided to completely nuke skeuomorphic design.

Anyway you don't need an iPhone 6 for iOS 8.

mikeymike

C.) Whatever.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyway you don't need an iPhone 6 for iOS 8.

There's the thing..."upgrading" my 4s to iOS7 made me gunshy, so I probably won't bother with 8.  I fear a new OS being even less stable.  One of my friends works at an Apple store and he was frustrated by iOS7 on his 4s.  At that time I wish I would have just left well enough alone with 6.  I've really not found the 5s to be any improvement over the 4s running iOS6.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I'm not sure why Apple is said to have greater reliability; at least in the past 6-7 years, I've had as many problems with their OS as Windows or Android.  Two of the last three updates on my work iPad have sent it to the IT ER for extended periods (the first time they thought it would need to be returned to Apple).  Coworkers in my group have had similar misfortune to the point that we all put off updating until IT forces us to.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm not sure why Apple is said to have greater reliability; at least in the past 6-7 years, I've had as many problems with their OS as Windows or Android.  Two of the last three updates on my work iPad have sent it to the IT ER for extended periods (the first time they thought it would need to be returned to Apple).  Coworkers in my group have had similar misfortune to the point that we all put off updating until IT forces us to.

Yeah, my daughter and a lot of my acquaintances have had a pile of trouble with their iPhone 4/5s, while my Galaxy has been trouble free and beautiful.  Also, iPhone users always seem desperate to find an AC plug.  Just my impressions.  The "watches," whether Apple or something else, seem to me to be simply an auxiliary display, perhaps with some Fitbit-like features.  So, yeah, meh.

bhearn

The "watches," whether Apple or something else, seem to me to be simply an auxiliary display, perhaps with some Fitbit-like features.  So, yeah, meh.

Not true. The non-Apple watches, yes.

kcam

Kelly, have you tried just running with the phone in your hand? That's what I do for any run that isn't a race or a track workout where my phone is close anyway.

For this reason I want a small iPhone 6 like Samsung has a galaxy mini. I guess that's a 5 and it's in my hands right now.

On the rare occasions I forget my Garmin I just carry my Galaxy S3 in my hand.  I have a rubberized low-profile case on it and it does not slip from my hand.  No problems carrying it even on long runs.  The S3 has been very reliable for me but then again I'm not much of a power user (I think I've downloaded 3 or 4 apps in the 18months I've had it).

iwatch? no.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, iPhone users always seem desperate to find an AC plug.

Or that would be whatever HTC disaster my husband has.  I had to fix the camera on it for him (because the exposure compensation got stuck on +2 after the last update and he didn't have a clue how to fix it...and I'm a photo geek and knew exactly what the issue was).  The battery life on that thing is awful.  I rarely even get close to  >30% remaining battery life after a full day of using my phone.  He's forever having to plug-in and doesn't even use his phone all that much.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not true. The non-Apple watches, yes.

The interface and design generally are greatly improved.  What else?

Just a dude.

Kelly, have you tried just running with the phone in your hand? That's what I do for any run that isn't a race or a track workout where my phone is close anyway.

For this reason I want a small iPhone 6 like Samsung has a galaxy mini. I guess that's a 5 and it's in my hands right now.

Yes, I have tried that. I find it gets pretty sweaty and is awkward to me. Just something about it is the wrong shape.

I dropped a car off for my daughter to borrow the other day and ran home. I ended up having to carry my wallet and my phone. I ended up with them in my shorts pocket. That was the least annoying thing of them all, but it was still annoying...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

CT JEFF

I would like a decent un-tethered smart watch.

I've had medical problems. My wife doesn't like the idea of me running who knows where with no way for her to get ahold of me. I refuse to carry my smart phone, and haven't found a comfortable way to strap it to myself somewhere. Putting it in my pocket doesn't work either.

-Kelly

Check out the new TIMEX GPX ONE+. I love it because its a 3G phone. Ok. Almost. You pre-program messages to send back. The messages come through looking like text messages, but they are set up to a separate email account (wont send you all the junk mail you normally get) - Bottom line it works great for emergencies. The nearest device I found was online and at REI as an emergency beacon. Its meant for hiking and boating. But it still requires 3G monthly fees. The TIMEX phone is set up with AT&T for a year of 3G included. The biggest question for me. IRONMAN is on the watch. IRONMAN rules say no electronics on the course (but they have never worried about GPS) with 3G 2 way communication, will the IM watch be allowed at IM? ? ?

https://www.timex.com/one

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

CT JEFF

Yes, I have tried that. I find it gets pretty sweaty and is awkward to me. Just something about it is the wrong shape.

I dropped a car off for my daughter to borrow the other day and ran home. I ended up having to carry my wallet and my phone. I ended up with them in my shorts pocket. That was the least annoying thing of them all, but it was still annoying...

-Kelly

The thing that got me to buy a GARMIN watch was doing this. I was carrying my Samsung Note 2 (big phone) but without too many issues. Mainly Id just put a rubber band on my hand for a little extra grip keeping the phone in my hand. Till one day, it was raining too hard. I thought I could put my phone inside the raincoat center pocket. Water got in. It got ruined. Had insurance. Paid $100. If you ruin too many phones, they wont allow you to have insurance. I was able to put the phone inside a regular ziplock sandwich bag, but it was one step too many for me. I love my Garmin watch, but I miss being able to snap a photo or get a message, or send one. Not sure I'll buy the TIMEX ONE+, but I am really glad that someone took the watch in this direction.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

When I was a kid used to spend summers in my village at my uncles place and cousins.  Did not see or talk to my parents for 2 months.  Once fell off a bike, came back home in a cast, for a dislocated elbow.  My parents were OK with that when I got back home a week later. Now we need to be in constant touch, and send out messages mid run.  we sure have made progress on the communications front.

CT JEFF

When I was a kid used to spend summers in my village at my uncles place and cousins.  Did not see or talk to my parents for 2 months.  Once fell off a bike, came back home in a cast, for a dislocated elbow.  My parents were OK with that when I got back home a week later. Now we need to be in constant touch, and send out messages mid run.  we sure have made progress on the communications front.

great story. but its not like you broke your arm and a week later someone realized it needed to be in a cast. You were just with different adults. People who had all these freedoms as kids like to complain online, but rarely stand up for a parent "free-range" raising their kids in the real world.

But I guess I see your point on the constant contact while running. We should probably assume the drunk driver who just hit us is going to call the cops and perform First Aide and CPR while waiting for help to arrive.

great story. but its not like you broke your arm and a week later someone realized it needed to be in a cast. You were just with different adults. People who had all these freedoms as kids like to complain online, but rarely stand up for a parent "free-range" raising their kids in the real world.

But I guess I see your point on the constant contact while running. We should probably assume the drunk driver who just hit us is going to call the cops and perform First Aide and CPR while waiting for help to arrive.

Surely the iWatch will work after being hit by a  drunk driver and you will be in a position to call the cops.

BTW I was talking about " I miss being able to snap a photo or get a message, or send one"

What does a parent "free-range" mean?