A sort of non-meat-hi carb-active person diet (Read 976 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I 2nd that. THat sounds amazing to me right now. I can't wait to bring home a crock pot, twill be better than my tuna-barley-pea-chili flavored concoction. Smile
    Ha, know what one of my favorite "white trash" concoctions is? A big bowl of mac-and-cheese (the kind with the gooey sauce in the silver packet) with about a half can of tuna and some chopped broccoli tossed in. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha, know what one of my favorite "white trash" concoctions is? A big bowl of mac-and-cheese (the kind with the gooey sauce in the silver packet) with about a half can of tuna and some chopped broccoli tossed in. Big grin
      Why bother with broccoli? Just use salsa. Chunky salsa. mac & cheese + tuna + salsa. More disgusting, perhaps, than fried scorpions. But oh so tasty!! Big grin
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why bother with broccoli? Just use salsa. Chunky salsa. mac & cheese + tuna + salsa. More disgusting, perhaps, than fried scorpions. But oh so tasty!! Big grin
        Ooh...that sounds pretty good--and I actually have all the ingredients! Evil grin But we're doin' pork BBQ sammiches tonite! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I eat fish twice a week on average and poultry a couple times a month. Most of my protein comes from nuts and soy products. Btw, I think that low carb diets for distance runners make no sense at all. Diet regulars: Cereal – Grape Nuts, Shredded Wheat, Oat Squares are a few of the main ones Organic soy products – hot dogs, cheeses, tofu etc. Potatoes – baked or boiled Homemade soups – main ingredients are carrots, broccoli, green beans, potatoes, noodles, other misc beans. Broth from vegetable boulion Fruits – especially bananas (avg 4-5 per day), mangos, apples, oranges, grapes, watermelon Nuts – mostly walnuts, almonds and sometimes peanuts Almond butter, peanut butter Non-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt. The kind that has sugar – my vice. I can eat a half gallon in 2 days
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Best Present Ever

i love cottage cheese and canned salmon (I don't eat tuna because of the mercury, but canned salmon seems to be ok from both environmental sides -- mine and the fishes') mixed together. Everyone looks at it and says 'blech' but it's quick, tasty, full of protein and filling. And i say 'canned' but i actually buy the pouches or plastic cups of salmon so it doesn't even require a can opener.

Imminent Catastrophe

Pork?
              Ugly. But I live in chicken-farm country and they don't fare any better. Then there's the description of cattle feedlots in "Omnivore's Dilemma". What's an omnivore to do? Unfortunately unless you're a vegan who doesn't wear leather, you have to accept the fact that this is going on. All I can do is purchase free-range/organic/grass-fed and support organizations that expose this kind of cruelty. MTA: Then there's fish. All sorts of problems there, from overfishing to the environmental effects of fish farms. And mercury.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Unfortunately unless you're a vegan who doesn't wear leather, you have to accept the fact that this is going on.
                Veganism, per se, does not help. Pollan, on the "Vegan Utopia" - http://www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/Forum/Post/a61f9fcc68824354a3fb5c06acc027aa#focus Saladin's approach, also described in the Omnivore's Dilemma, section 3, is a possible solution. Also, check out an extended essay of his on this theme - http://www.michaelpollan.com/article.php?id=55
                mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

There is another answer - whenever possible, go out and get your own. It's not easy, but you get an understanding of where food comes from and what it has to go to to get to the grocery stores.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is another answer - whenever possible, go out and get your own. It's not easy, but you get an understanding of where food comes from and what it has to go to to get to the grocery stores.
                    That is, my friend, the exact topic of Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. Well worth reading.

flatland mountaineer

Pork?
                      quote from the article "Temple Grandin, a leading animal welfare expert who serves as a consultant to the livestock industry, said that while those are standard industry practices, the treatment of the sows on the video was far from it. "This is atrocious animal abuse," Grandin said after PETA sent her the video. But she disagreed with PETA's contention that it was widespread in the industry. "I've been on many good farms, and the pigs are handled gently," she said. "This was blatant, deliberate animal cruelty. These people are sick. They need to be prosecuted. There are certain people that enjoy hurting animals and they should not be working with them -- period."" Hmmmmm now who mentioned that name on this forum before??? No livestock producer I know would condone that sort of behavior, and absolutely none of them would trust PETA to put out anything that would actually help animal welfare!!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"I've been on many good farms, and the pigs are handled gently," she said. "This was blatant, deliberate animal cruelty. These people are sick. They need to be prosecuted. There are certain people that enjoy hurting animals and they should not be working with them -- period.""
                        Right. This was NOT about the industry. This was about a single bad actor. The problem is, how does the consumer know whether the food they get comes from the 99% who treat animals better than this or the 1% who do not? (Percentages made up)
                          I thought I was the only one! I lived off a combination of mac-n-cheese, tuna, and green beans or peas or broccoli when I was in college. DH thinks I'm a freak cause I still make it every once in awhile. To the OP, fish (esp white fish like haddock or tilapia) can be very inexpensive to buy and you can often find single fillets in the freezer at the grocery store. I also second the chili suggestion, it's really pretty cheap to make a giant pot of chili that will last for awhile, and you could freeze it for later too. I don't konw what your freezer space is, but another good option is to check out your local meat shop and see if they offer bulk packages...if you have the freezer space that's a great way to save money.
                          2009 Goals:
                          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                          Run a 10K
                          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                          Complete my first Sprint Tri
                          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

That is, my friend, the exact topic of Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. Well worth reading.
                            I'll be adding that to my reading list, then. Nothing more satisfying than, say, fresh-caught bluefish grilled with tomatoes and garlic from your own (or your in-laws') garden.