Since nearly no one is talking about it... (Read 1266 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Even though it's all over the major news networks.  This tragedy has been pretty much swept under the rug in comparison to the level of grief and attention afforded to a similar and tragic event in CO just weeks ago.

Racism is so ugly.  A group of peaceful Sikhs gunned-down in their place of worship deserve just as much attention in social media as do a group of movie-goers, IMO.  If we (as a nation) ignore this event does it mean we agree with the white-supremacist shooter...?

Just hours after the CO shootings there were countless threads and graphics honoring the victims of that event.  On FB I have counted 3 links to the story since the shootings took place.  THREE.

Are there really that many bigots amongst my FB friends (I'd like to think this isn't the case)?  I only found out about this even this evening when I was online for the first time all day after a wonderful day in the great outdoors and happened to be scanning a local news site to find information about an accident we happened upon.

As much as the story upsets me, the reaction (or lack thereof) makes me truly ill.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It is in the news here and is actually being covered to a reasonable extent, but if I'm honest the Olympics are making the headlines far more than anything else at the moment (I'm not totally sure therefore how much more coverage the CO shootings would have been given when the entire country is focussed on something else).    Either way I'm shocked and saddened by the shootings, I really can't comprehend the terror and mourning the community must have faced and must now continue to face.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not the media coverage with which I take issue--it's the lack of non-media seeming to give a damn when compared to the CO shootings.  Even the Norway shootings a year ago were given more consideration from the general public on social media and BBs.

~ Sarah Kay

Fair enough.  A lot of people are talking about it at work today, so I guess we are bothered in this tiny little sample of people.  Not so much linking on facebook etc from UK-based people but that didn't happen so much with the CO shootings either.   I live (and work) in a very mixed community though, Sikh, Hindu, Muslim, Christian (of various flavours), Jewish, Baha'i, Tao, Buddhist  are all communities here (along with some of us more non-believer types) so perhaps we don't regard the religion or race of the people impacted by the shootings as the key to the story (although of course they are if this was racially or religiously motivated) but just the pure terror and upset of the shootings.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

If we (as a nation) ignore this event does it mean we agree with the white-supremacist shooter...?

Are there really that many bigots amongst my FB friends (I'd like to think this isn't the case)?  I only found out about this even this evening when I was online for the first time all day after a wonderful day in the great outdoors and happened to be scanning a local news site to find information about an accident we happened upon.

You just found out about it yourself because you were out on a weekend doing something, and your first conclusion when you see that everyone else has not already gone onto social media to discuss thoroughly is that your "friends" are bigots?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You just found out about it yourself because you were out on a weekend doing something, and your first conclusion when you see that everyone else has not already gone onto social media to discuss thoroughly is that your "friends" are bigots?

If it were obvious that no one is online using social media because they are away from their computers and phones and news sources, then I wouldn't be upset.  The fact that I grew up in WI and have a LOT of FB friends from that state and only ONE of my friends from behind the Cheddar Curtain expressed any sort of sentiment about the issue is distressing, to say the least.  But there have been plenty of entries on FB devoted to sports and Mars Rover photos and politics.  Nearly 24 hours after the shootings in WI and I've still only seen 3 people on all of FB (or any other social media/message board site) mention the tragedy.  It's clearly not a priority to the general public.  Why would that be?

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I guess I'm the only one bothered by the fact that every recent shooting of a similar nature garnered huge attention among the general public, at least as witnessed through the lens of sites like FB...VT, Norway, Columbine, the Amish school shooting--people were all over discussing the hows and whys and gun control issues within hours of those stories coming to light.  Why is this one different?

~ Sarah Kay

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Sadly, "those people" are not "like us." It couldn't have happened to "me."

Whereas, most (but not myself) could easily imagine themselves at the movies - and many were at that very same movie (albeit not that showing.)  Sad

Liz

pace sera, sera

Feeling the growl again

My newsfeed over the past 24 hours is populated almost exclusively by comments and photos of what people have been doing with their families outdoors and on vacation (away from news etc) and the Olympics.  Seems to me this is what most of my "general public" has had their attention on. 

Additionally, most of the events you list involved at least twice as many victims.  That tends to elevate peoples' pucker factor.  We had multiple people killed in shootings locally here that didn't make national news.

Why is this one different?

You don't know.  Remember FB is not the "general public", but people that have agreed to be linked to you presumably due mutually positive interactions.  It seems awfully presumptuous to assign the worst possible motivations to such people off so little information.

(FWIW I was every bit as outraged by the WI event as the CO event.  I am always outraged by these events.  A mentor of mine was gunned down in the Alabama shooting several years ago, leaving a young family behind).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Additionally, most of the events you list involved at least twice as many victims.  That tends to elevate peoples' pucker factor.

Amish school shooting killed 5 people.  This shooting killed 6.  Similar scenarios...gunman went after a gathering of a non-mainstream religious group.  Amish shootings were discussed at great length, this is a quiet blip, barely on the public's talk radar.  I'm not even seeing the rabid (on both sides) debate on gun control with this.  Perhaps that will change in the next few days, but the fact that there's been almost no discussion in the first 24 hours seems sorta telling.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am seeing it all over the news.

As far as social media is concerned, well, the WI shooting happened over a weekend while many people are away from FB and other social media. The CO shooting happened late in the week when everybody is ready to stop focusing on their work and is happy to use FB and other social media.

Also, the Batman thing has a lot more of a gory fascination to it, with a whacko who thinks he is the Joker going in to a crowded midnight theater and gunning down a bunch of moviegoers while wearing a full-on protective costume, using gas and smoke, and then leaving behind a rigged, bomb-filled apartment, all just a few miles from Columbine. The WI shooting, while tragic, has much less of a sideshow character to it.

It will be interesting to see whether, now that folks are back to work and bored in front of their computers, whether the WI shooting will get a lot more attention (hmmm, as this thread suggests Smile ).

At a loss for words. Tried to put together a few responses, all coming out wrong on re reading. If I hear someone blame the lack of guns with the victims allowing the shooter to get away with it as was said with the CO shooting, I might just lose it.

Menace to Sobriety

At a loss for words. Tried to put together a few responses, all coming out wrong on re reading. If I hear someone blame the lack of guns with the victims allowing the shooter to get away with it as was said with the CO shooting, I might just lose it.

+1

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Early on (yesterday, early afternoon), there wasn't much to go off of when this story hit the news.  There wasn't any mention of the number of deaths or anything about the shooter.  There wasn't any mention whether it was an internal feud from within or an external act (as it appears to be).  The only mention within the early report was that there was more than 1 shooter involved, but I haven't seen any report of that since the earliest news report.  Last night was the first time I read that it was a racist man (ex military) who did the shooting.  Sad. 

Regardless, I hear what you're saying, but cannot come to the same conclusion as you. 

Whether its Oklahoma City, 9/11, VT, Columbine, Aurora, WI, Norway, or whereever, you wonder what causes people to turn from "normal" and "valuable" within society to the crazy mind that is "abnormal" and who doesn't value other's life.  I find the story sad and sickening from a human perspective (regardless of race, religion, or national origin).

There are some reports that make quick headlines (Aurora was known by most of American by 8:30AM their local time). 

Some stories take more time to spread (ie. Miami person-eater bath salt dude from a couple months ago).

Some stories hardly make it to the news (don't know any that I can speak of).

For you, it's more personal (you lived within the "cheddar curtain").

For me, it's less personal (yet still newsworthy).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

HCH

Even though it's all over the major news networks.  This tragedy has been pretty much swept under the rug in comparison to the level of grief and attention afforded to a similar and tragic event in CO just weeks ago.

Racism is so ugly.  A group of peaceful Sikhs gunned-down in their place of worship deserve just as much attention in social media as do a group of movie-goers, IMO.  If we (as a nation) ignore this event does it mean we agree with the white-supremacist shooter...?

Just hours after the CO shootings there were countless threads and graphics honoring the victims of that event.  On FB I have counted 3 links to the story since the shootings took place.  THREE.

As much as the story upsets me, the reaction (or lack thereof) makes me truly ill.

I get what you're saying. This is a BIG deal, and not in a good way. They are calling it an act of domestic terrorism. I can't say which is worse: a group of movie-goers gunned down by a madman in a random act of violence, or members of a faith community gunned down because of their beliefs. Both are tragic and appalling, but the latter, to me, is more threatening because it's an attack on many of the things I love most about my country: its pluralism, its diversity, its freedom, its domestic tranquility.

I don't buy the argument that the number of victims makes much of a difference to the general public's reaction. We still talk about Columbine, but the massacre at Red Lake High School has been forgotten in most circles, even though 10 people died in a town of just 1,100. In one case, the victims and perpetrators were white and middle class; in the other they were Native American and poor. I don't think it's overt racism, but a more subtle case of identification and maybe even an astonishing lack of empathy towards people who are different than us. "That could have been my kids at Columbine," or "I could have been in that theatre" make the tragedy more personal to many people.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.