BQ & mileage (Read 1946 times)

I will be running my first marathon in May, and plan to BQ, so I am glad you asked this question, Clay.

As I will be 60 I get a generous time allowance, but on the other hand I  recover slower than most of you from hard workouts.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It's hard to make sense of but I'll try. I started out 2010 with a femoral neck stress fx, frayed labrum of the hip and partial tear of the glues medius. I spent most of my time running in deep water and in PT until the end of March. I started running again and peaked at one 60 mile week in July. Then I developed horrible shin splints. I spent the next few months running very little. I biked and ran in the pool. I ran 30 miles total in the month before my first marathon in September and BQ'd with 22 min to spare. 8 weeks later I ran the NYC marathon 16 min faster. Crazy, huh?

+1

The injury part is what I am  trying  to avoid. Reason for No speed workouts. Plan to start doing 1 mile repeats-4 weeks- 800m -4 weeks - 400m-4 weeks. Bermuda Jan 16-(<4)   GA Thrill in the hills( 4:15 trail) Mar 26.  6 marathons in 6 months with a few halfs thrown in. BQ is on the Bucket List. If the knees can withstand the speed of racing I will give BQing a shot. Half marathon time 1:47:51( 10/3/10),50k 6:32:00(11/27/10) Knee decided it had enough at mile 15.Cry

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Ronald

wow, that is an impressive plan!   good luck with that, seriously hope you achieve it.   u r becoming a running animal, very motivating for others.  yeah understand the knee part.  My only trouble is the knee, my hamstrings, calves,  glutes, (almost always on the right side).  Each day something different.  other than that I have no issues.

Julia1971

The injury part is what I am  trying  to avoid. Reason for No speed workouts. .

I read posts around here that seem to be saying speedwork causes injuries.  But, I think what the posters probably mean is that jumping into speedwork too quickly causes injuries.  With that in mind... is there a reason you're starting out with mile repeats?  I would think you'd want to reverse that and start out with the shorter distance repetitions and work your way up.  But, that's just my instinct which could be wrong.

I look my best blurry!

Lots of time! Up to 2.5hrs! I did easy runs and some tempo "runs". I even did some fartleks. Seriously, I tried to duplicate the workouts I would have done on land if I could have. I came out of the water raring to go. Two weeks later I set a 5K PR by 40 sec. Look at my log. On the left there is quite a lot of blue!

Only if you think water running isn't effective. How many hours did you spend in the pool?

My DW went through a period when the only time she ran on the roads was when she entered (and won) races.Smile

Feeling the growl again

I read posts around here that seem to be saying speedwork causes injuries.  But, I think what the posters probably mean is that jumping into speedwork too quickly causes injuries.  With that in mind... is there a reason you're starting out with mile repeats?  I would think you'd want to reverse that and start out with the shorter distance repetitions and work your way up.  But, that's just my instinct which could be wrong.

If the short intervals are significantly faster than the long ones, they may hold more injury potential.  If they are all about the same speed, I would agree to swap around and start with the short ones.

Runnerclay,

Why 4 weeks in a row of the same interval workout?  Nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit.  I try to cycle speed workouts back around every 4-5 weeks to see progress made.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

With that in mind... is there a reason you're starting out with mile repeats?  I would think you'd want to reverse that and start out with the shorter distance repetitions and work your way up.  But, that's just my instinct which could be wrong.

Yes.  My thinking is to work up to the  400m and not jump into speed work. Short fast - Long slow. 5k @ 7:30 pace vs 26.2 @ 8:30 pace. Most of my runs are in the13+ range. Low Heart Rate training. Going from 13:00 to 7:00 on repeats could be a injury in waiting.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

If the short intervals are significantly faster than the long ones, they may hold more injury potential.  If they are all about the same speed, I would agree to swap around and start with the short ones.

Runnerclay,

Why 4 weeks in a row of the same interval workout?  Nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit.  I try to cycle speed workouts back around every 4-5 weeks to see progress made.

What kind of speed cycle do you recommend? 5k 22:37(7:18) on 8/14/10    13.1-1:47:51(8:14) 10/3/10. I am planing to use McMillan or Team Oregon pace calculators.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Feeling the growl again

What kind of speed cycle do you recommend? 5k 22:37(7:18) on 8/14/10    13.1-1:47:51(8:14) 10/3/10. I am planing to use McMillan or Team Oregon pace calculators.

Well it depends a lot on your goals and background, I was speaking to the variability.  

You mentioned 400s to mile repeats in terms of range.  So, assuming you can handle a base of 4 miles' worth of intervals (cut down to 3 if you need to), you can swap around 16X400 on 60-75sec recovery, 8X800 on 90-120sec recovery, 4X(400-800-400) with 60-90sec between repeats and 3min between sets, 6X1200, 4Xmile on 3-4min recovery, 400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400 on 90-120sec recovery.  Paces you can get off the calculator, it will be near 10K pace for the 1200/1600s and 5K pace for the 400/800s.

The goal here is just go give your legs/mind a little different taste of pace and distance.  In general I start shorter and work toward longer (up to sets of 2000-3200m intervals), but that is not when injury is in the picture and over mile repeats is probably not applicable to most.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Well it depends a lot on your goals and background, I was speaking to the variability.  

You mentioned 400s to mile repeats in terms of range.  So, assuming you can handle a base of 4 miles' worth of intervals (cut down to 3 if you need to), you can swap around 16X400 on 60-75sec recovery, 8X800 on 90-120sec recovery, 4X(400-800-400) with 60-90sec between repeats and 3min between sets, 6X1200, 4Xmile on 3-4min recovery, 400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400 on 90-120sec recovery.  Paces you can get off the calculator, it will be near 10K pace for the 1200/1600s and 5K pace for the 400/800s.

The goal here is just go give your legs/mind a little different taste of pace and distance.  In general I start shorter and work toward longer (up to sets of 2000-3200m intervals), but that is not when injury is in the picture and over mile repeats is probably not applicable to most.

Thanks.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Right on Hereford...

1127 miles for the year

1st marathon, 3:30:28 (not a BQ)

3000+ miles for the year

2nd marathon, 2:58:00

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've had several years and a good handful of marathons and ultras before my first BQ, which was 2010. 

According to my log, I ran about 1,200 miles in 2010.  I cross-trained a lot (on most days I was not running) since I do a lot of triathlons too.

My BQ time was 3:08.

I want to hit 1,500 miles this year and up the cycling and swim time substantially (since I have Ironman Lake Placid to train for) but I'm hoping I'll BQ again this year at Boston (actually I'm hoping to run sub 3). 

I think it's a combo of high milage and smart milage and cross training.  No doubt a LOT of people on this site run way more miles than I do, but I think my cross training helps a lot.   I do plan/need to up my milage in the months leading up to Boston tho (ahem, now I guess!) to hit that sub 3 mark.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

C-R

Ron,

1000+ miles in '08 and no BQ - still just a dream

2400+ miles in '09 and almost a BQ

2600+ miles in '10 and a BQ with 19 minutes to spare.

'11 reBQ but miles will go up.

One thing I noted from people that tend to BQ is a consistent build-up of miles over several years. Patient is the victorious.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jpdeaux

I ran 1076 miles (1111 if you include the 35 miles I ran in 2004) the year before my first marathon, Disney 2006. My time was 3:29, for my first BQ. Over the next three months I ran 338 more miles to finish my first Boston in 3:33.

As a new runner, I didn't know any better.

Muebele

I got my BQ on my 3rd Attempt (3:09:38)

First marathon, ran most of the year for 5k's and then did a 10 week marathon build up.  Got up to 66 miles one week with 3 weeks above 60.  Died at mile 18

Second Marathon, started training right after the first marathon. Mostly on treadmill (do to bad winter last year) got up to 70 miles 1 time and had a couple weeks in the 60s.  Last 3 weeks was hurt and couldn't do much running.  But felt fine for the marathon.  Fell off pace at mile 15

Third Marathon, 16 week training program started after training for an completing a half-ironman.  At least 7 weeks above 60 miles and hit right near 70 3 times.  Felt great for 22 miles and then just held on

I think the key for me was getting high milage for a consistant period.  The longer build up with lots of miles week after week really made the difference.  The pace I was running my runs was the same for each training period.  If you can't build up to a solid amount of miles for a good period (I would say at least 10 weeks) then set lower goals, I learned alot from the marathon failures, so much that I did not want to repeat them.

Good luck