First 5K completed! (Read 596 times)

Big grin Hey all, Ran in my first 5k this past weekend! It was a lot of fun. As I am preparing for a 10k in May, I thought it would be good to run at least one 5k just to get a feel for the protocol, the excitment, my pace, etc. I placed about where I expected, in the top 1/3 of about 650 runners. Although I did not really care about my time, I was hoping to come in under 30 minutes. Official time for me was 28:28 with 9:11 pace. This is consistant with what I have been running for the last few months so I was happy with that as a starting point. I cracked up when the guy pushing the 3 wheel stroller passed me about a mile into it Smile. Also, I had my two kids 10 and 11 come a long and they entered in the 1/2 mile for fun. They actually placed 3rd and 4th out of about 75 kids! They are soccer players not runners, but held their own, so now they are asking when is the next one! Overall, a great experience and will be doing at least one more 5k before my 10k goal! B

The Greatest of All Time

Congratulations!!!
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

over 9000!!!

gratz!! sounds like someone got bit

Giant Flaming Dork

Great job! Keep up the good work!

http://xkcd.com/621/

Did I read that you train around your 5K race pace? We need to talk if that is how you are training. Nick
              yay!!! that's great...you'll be hooked for sure now Smile
                Thanks for the encouragement everyone, Long Run Nick...I am open to any feedback you have. Just for clairity, January 08 began my 4th month of running on a consistant basis (5-6 days wk). I began this program with two three things in mind. Exercise for health, lose weight and complete a goal of a 10k in 6 months. My mile pace in January was about 10:30min/mile, February down to 10:00min/mile, March has been about 9:35 average min/mile. My 5k pace Saturday came in at 9:11 which I felt was decent for my history, and even a bit quicker than what I have been running. Probably due to a quicker than normal start (excitement on race day) and a "last push" at the finish to beat the two 8 year old girls that were on my heels Smile Anyway, any suggestions or help here is welcome. My goal for the 10k is really just to finish and say I did it. That has been my goal all along, now after running this 5k, I'm begining to think my goals after the 10k will focus more on time improvement. I don't know...maybe that is not the right approach? Undecided B
                  OK--my coaching approach is to get folks to focus on long range goals --like--run for the rest of your life. I know this may be a little difficult to fathom--but--if you slow down you will get faster. It will take some patience. If your goal is the 10K and then hang up your shoes--continue to do what you are doing. If, you don't get injured you will finish the 10K. I present this based on my running history(32 yrs and over 65,000 miles) as well as coaching 100's of neighborhood class runners. If you slow down your training pace--you may well build some more endurance. Over time the slower running will get faster with the same effort. If you slow down at least 90 seconds to 2 minutes for 95% of your training miles you will do your body a favor and you will get faster. Actually, I have seen a lot of folks gradually improve over up to a 10 yr span of running. I will add a brag and advise you I ran a marathon 2 months ago that was 12 seconds faster than my first marathon--31 yrs ago! (3:57:48 vs 3:58). 95%+ of my running is 2-3 minutes slower than my race pace. I use to run consistent 18 min 5K's and 37 minute 10K's on mostly easy training. More important than that is I am still out running--120 miles to 66,000 and will celebrate 32 yrs of consistent running on 4/22/08 and will celebrate 65 yrs on the planet in September. Make your mottoBlush want to be a lifetime runner. When you head out to run: start off EZ--then back off. Nick
                    Thanks for the feedback Nick, So if I understand correctly...If my pace is about 9:30/mile...I should actually slow to about 10:30 a mile but concentrate on longer distance? But on "race day" pick up the pace? I guess I'm not sure the reasoning here, but may answer my own question with the following statement...My goal is first to stay healthy and avoid injury, second finish the 10k in May, third be concerned about time in this order. I guess I got a bit of the bug running in the 5k and would like to improve time, but not at the expense of longevity and remaining injury free. Any thoughts? B
                      If longevity and staying healthy are your major goals--there is no real hurry to get to a "fast" time in the upcoming 10K or even run the 10K. Patience is important. Willingness to let your body get use to running--I am not talking about weeks/months here. I am talking years. Most folks want quick results. Immediate gratification of wants--I guess. Take your time. Try starting out on your first mile at 11-12+ m/m pace when training. The second mile shouldn't be much quicker. Relax. Make it fun. Did I tell you walking is OK? Try some gentle running--add in some gentle walking as you go. Walk when you are not tired? Try it. For every runner I know who has been out on the roads for 10-20 ++ years--I know way more who ran too fast/too soon/too far and joined the world's largest club--"I use to run but..... club". Vary what you do. Take rest days. Hydrate well. GO EZ. Don't take yourself too seriously. If you follow these simple practices you can brag 30+ yrs from now how you are still out running and having fun. I did present a little leeway--5% of your running can be quicker--"race pace" BUT--the more you slow down--take it EZ and build a solid aerobic base--say the next yr--the better runner you will be. Also--you may well avoid over-use injuries and you will avoid "running burn out". There is a lot of books on running--probably too many--- read some of them. Check out the Low Heart Rate group forum. Read the stickies. Lots of good stuff. Hey, did I tell you--have fun? All the best. Nick

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Congrats on your first race! Smile
                        -Jen
                        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                          Thank you Nick. I appreciate and respect your words of wisdom and encouragement. Funny thing...as I was running in the 5k last weekend, the competitive side of me wanted to be "up front" with those that were in the lead. The practical and rational side of me won over those thoughts quickly,and the little voice said "don't think of this as a race, this is to maintain health and fitness and the goal is to finish and have fun, not to break any personal records, so keep a steady pace like you have all along and have fun". I like that voice better! It reminds me of why I started running in the first place 6 months ago. Your feedback is well received. My focus is to do the 10k and satisfy my desire to reach my goal of completing one, but not to comprimise for injury or foolishness. Thanks again! B