10k workouts (Read 832 times)

Just finished my marathon melt-down this past weekend. The recovery is coming along very nicely. Everything is staying easy through at least one more week. Just going to maintain my base, keeping it easy, not overexerting myself. June 13 will mark a local 10k on a flat greenway a few minutes away. I've never done a 10k, and I need that in my PRs. I obviously want to perform well, so after I feel as though my body will have recovered well enough, I plan on incorporating speedwork into the mix through June 13. I have begun my own training regimen instead of following cookie cutter programs, thus I don't want a 10k training program as for most of those my mileage is going to be way up. My long runs will be much longer than an 8-10 mile run. I am simply looking for a link, or for recommendations of speedwork to incorporate to fine tune my ability at the 10k.
      Try this ... It may be cookie cutter but seemed good. I was looking at Intermediate plan but advanced would be good for you. Of any of the internet plans this seemed the best. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--1117-3-5X8X10-4,00.html Also looking for some shortterm speed after marathon in 2.5 weeks and just found this yesterday. Good Luck.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

No expert here --- you are ahead of me -- but my $.02 is that you are already doing really well and so I think as a starting point, you should consider maintaining your mileage but on two of your medium to longer run (like possibly Wed and Sun or maybe Tue and Sat, you should throw in 3 mile tempo runs at as close to your 5k pace as you can maintain.... This will give you two workouts at slightly faster then your 10K pace......should help you strengthen your 10K time and doing so, in the content of an existing longer run. On the other days just focus on miles and make sure the are recovery/easy miles..... Interested to hear what some of the more experienced 10K 'er have to say about his also...... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

For the next 6 weeks: 1.) 16 x 200 / jog 200 (2 mile pace) 2.) 6 x 1000 / jog 200 (10k-15k pace) 3.) 8 x 400 / jog 200 (2 mile pace) 4.) 4 x mile / jog 200 (10k - 15k pace) 5.) 4 x 800 / jog 200 (2 mile pace) 6.) 10k race. For each of the above workouts to a 2-3 mile warmup with some strides and a 2-3 mile cooldown. Each week include a long run of at least 90 minutes, with a fast finish if your feeling it, and keep plenty of easy mileage on the other 5 days. That's one idea anyway.

Runners run

For the next 6 weeks: 1.) 16 x 200 / jog 200 (2 mile pace) 2.) 6 x 1000 / jog 200 (10k-15k pace) 3.) 8 x 400 / jog 200 (2 mile pace) 4.) 4 x mile / jog 200 (10k - 15k pace) 5.) 8 x 400 / jog 200 (2 mile pace) 6.) 10k race. For each of the above workouts to a 2-3 mile warmup with some strides and a 2-3 mile cooldown. Each week include a long run of at least 90 minutes, with a fast finish if your feeling it, and keep plenty of easy mileage on the other 5 days. That's one idea anyway.
            Thanks mikey. You recommend those workouts 1 day a week or 2? Heh.
            and keep plenty of easy mileage on the other 5 days.
            I always sucked at math and reading.
            mikeymike

Yeah I meant 1 of those per week, in that order (it's sort of a progression if you notice.) I messed up the 5th workout--meant to put 4 x 800 / jog 200 there, fixing it now. You could do 2 per week but if you do I'd put the 10k-15k pace workout in your long run. So do 4+ mile warmup, do that workout, do a 4 mile cooldown = 12+ miles. I'll sometimes do that if I've got like 3-4 weeks to cram for a race in the 5k - 10k range. The idea is you're alternating a workout that is about 2 miles worth of work at 2 mile race pace with equal time recoveries with a workout that's about 4 miles worth of work at 10k to 15k pace with short recoveries. None of these should be killer workouts, but they're hard enough to get the job done.

Runners run

Mikey's plan sounds good, but make sure your "2 mile pace" is challenging (I'd do almost as fast as my 1 mile pace). Take those strides seriously, too. If not, then your legs will only experience something race pace or faster once a week.
                bap

Last night our 10K workout was 2 x 1200 meters at 10K pace, 1 minutes rest 4 x 600 meters at 5K-5 mile pace with 2 minutes rest

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

SMART Approach

Mikey has a nice plan or here is another option with warm up and cool down around these work outs. This will sharpen you up nicely with a progression toward race time. 1. 4 X 1000 at 10K effort w/ 90 sec jog recovery between, then 3 X 200M at 800M pace or fast w/ full recovery between 2. 3 X 1000 at 10K effort 90 sec jog, 2 X 800 at 1 mile pace, 3 X 200 fast 3. 5 X 1000 at 10K effort 75 sec jog w/ 4 X 200M at fast pace or 4 X 30 sec hill surges 4. 3 X 1000 at 10K effort 75 sec jog, 3 X 800M at 1 mile pace and 3 X 200M at 800M pace 5. 6 X 1000 at 10K effort, 60 sec jjog, 5 X 200M Fast 6. Early in week (Mon/Tue) 3 X 1000M w/ 60 sec rest followed by 3-4 X 200M fast RACE - Sat/Sun Throw in some quality miles in your long run to give you two awesome work outs. This could mean a faster finish over last couple miles. A 4-6 mile section in middle where you run faster (not killer fast but more steady fast, don't push) or rotate miles with one being normal comfortable with one being about 45-60 sec per mile faster or by feel or two slower and two faster etc.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

makers, sorry to hijack but it's close to the your question! Didn't want to start a new thread just for this ... I have a 12K (Bay to Breakers) coming up on 5/17. I'm guessing the workouts/tuneups for 10K would apply to a 12K as well. Since I only have two weeks what would y'all recommend for two quality workouts next week and maybe 1 quality the week after (race week)? For this week I have one more quality workout planned (a longish run, ~14 miles, consisting of a long warmup followed by 12X400 @ 10K pace(6:30), 2minute recovery jog; long cooldown - done tomorrow night). What do you think? Recent prior training in my log.

SMART Approach

makers, sorry to hijack but it's close to the your question! Didn't want to start a new thread just for this ... I have a 12K (Bay to Breakers) coming up on 5/17. I'm guessing the workouts/tuneups for 10K would apply to a 12K as well. Since I only have two weeks what would y'all recommend for two quality workouts next week and maybe 1 quality the week after (race week)? For this week I have one more quality workout planned (a longish run, ~14 miles, consisting of a long warmup followed by 12X400 @ 10K pace(6:30), 2minute recovery jog; long cooldown - done tomorrow night). What do you think? Recent prior training in my log.
                        Do the the 10K paced intervals but longer - at least 800M and preferrably 1000-1200M. 400M at 10K pace with 2 min recoveries are not going give you as good of a benefit because 400M at 10K pace isn't an ideal stress. You need to go faster than 5K pace with 400s but I will argue that longer 10K paced reps with something like 4 X 200M fast will tune you up just as well.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com