Am I ready? (Read 1344 times)

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Ok. the CMM in two weeks is my 5th half marathon. My first in 2007, I walked the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon and by the San Antonio R&R in 2008, I was running about 1/2 of the half with a PR of 2:47 (sloooowwww, I know). So, somehow I started running more this spring. I guess because I slowed down and have not had injuries in 2009. After a successful 15k (in a brutal race - ask Zoom-Zoom), I wanted to try to run the entire CMM or the Sunburst in June. In the past three weeks, have done 9.3, 8 and 8.9 on very hilly terrain. All at about a 11:30 pace and have been feeling good. The last two weeks, I've run every step. Am I ready to run the whole thing or should I run/walk something like run 6 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Or should I just continue training and wait to run the entire half at the Sunburst in June?
    March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)

jfa

I'm not an expert, nor have I ever played one on TV. But if your half in 2 weeks is relatively flat, I would say that you're ready, with long runs out to nine.Certainly you should be in good shape for June. Good Luck !!

I
        http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
          If you can run 9+ miles you can probably make the 13.1. Its a stretch but doable... Ideally would have more than 10 mile LR...maybe if possible get in a 10+ mile LR soon and have 1 - 1 1/2 week taper. I would take approach of racing like you did 15K (I assume race as who else would run 9.3), but add maybe add 15 sec to pace in early miles. If you start to feel like your going to bonk at 9 - 10 miles take a 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk and then only left with a 5K to finish. You will make it. Good Luck

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

If you can run 9+ miles you can probably make the 13.1. Its a stretch but doable... Ideally would have more than 10 mile LR...maybe if possible get in a 10+ mile LR soon and have 1 - 1 1/2 week taper. I would take approach of racing like you did 15K (I assume race as who else would run 9.3), but add maybe add 15 sec to pace in early miles. If you start to feel like your going to bonk at 9 - 10 miles take a 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk and then only left with a 5K to finish. You will make it. Good Luck
            Talked to my running club "coach" this afternoon. Our running club is training for the 5th 3rd 25K that is two weeks after the CMM, but she knows I am training for the half at the CMM, so she has been helping me with routes, pacing, etc. since the 15K race. She came to the same conclusion you did, which is to do a 10+ LR in the next couple of days and then taper. No more intervals until after the CMM (that will take some doing - I love intervals). I essentially did what you suggested when I ran that crazy 15K. I walked for about 1/4 mile when I hit 6 miles and then ran it in as a 5K. Good suggestion on the pacing - I am concerned about going out to fast, I think I am in a 2:30 pace corral. Thanks for the encouragement. I am more excited than scared, but still amazed that I am running this well. It feels like a brave new world. All you RA'ers have been more helpful than you know.
            March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
            kcam

I would say that what's more important than your 'long run' is your daily mileage. Seems like yours is about 3 miles per day, with a not insignificant amount of that mileage as either treadmill or walking. IMHO, you won't be ready to run continuously 13.1 miles in two weeks. If you want to run the entire half you should get your mileage up around 4 to 5 miles per day (some combination of easy, daily runs and a longer (also easy) weekend run which, divided by 7, equals 4 to 5 miles per day). Of course more is better. Less than that I would probably plan on a run/walk mode which may get you to the finish line faster than an attempt at 100% running at this point. You're doing a pretty consistent 21 mile per week - you don't want to derail that success with a disappointing 1/2 in two weeks. I hope I don't sound harsh, just wanted to give what I think is a realistic answer to your question. Now, for Sunburst you will surely be able to run that one, and pretty well, with the progress you seem to be making. Good running vibes to you at CMM!

SMART Approach

Talked to my running club "coach" this afternoon. Our running club is training for the 5th 3rd 25K that is two weeks after the CMM, but she knows I am training for the half at the CMM, so she has been helping me with routes, pacing, etc. since the 15K race. She came to the same conclusion you did, which is to do a 10+ LR in the next couple of days and then taper. No more intervals until after the CMM (that will take some doing - I love intervals). I essentially did what you suggested when I ran that crazy 15K. I walked for about 1/4 mile when I hit 6 miles and then ran it in as a 5K. Good suggestion on the pacing - I am concerned about going out to fast, I think I am in a 2:30 pace corral. Thanks for the encouragement. I am more excited than scared, but still amazed that I am running this well. It feels like a brave new world. All you RA'ers have been more helpful than you know.
                I think your only taper should not be doing a long run the last week and a half and no fast work. I always recommend the last long run before a half be 9-12 days before. Other than that, I would not drastically cut your miles which will be cut anyway without next weeks long run. You can't afford to lose any fitness. Of course take it easy the couple days before the half with maybe one short run. Good luck - you can do it!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I hope I don't sound harsh, just wanted to give what I think is a realistic answer to your question. Now, for Sunburst you will surely be able to run that one, and pretty well, with the progress you seem to be making. Good running vibes to you at CMM!
                  Thanks so much for your input. Jury is still out. Appreciate you noticed the steady progress. I feel like I'm blazing new territory (for me) and not certain how far to push it. Long run will seal the deal. I agree that I should be ready for the Sunburst. It sure has been fun progressing like this. My trainer referred to me as a runner today. That kinda made me laugh.
                    My trainer referred to me as a runner today. That kinda made me laugh.
                    I think what qualifies a runner is more attitude than stellar athletic ability! You are a runner!
                      I would second T-Chuck. Try and do your long run soon 9-12 days out and then start the taper. Looking at your log I do not think you need to cut back the miles any except for the weekend long run. Try not to lose any fitness. If you are doing walk breaks I would suggest the 6 run 1 walk. The reason is that 21K will be different form 15k for some one new to the distance. Your legs may just get really stiff if you stop and walk for 1/4 mile after 15K. Just start out gentle and spread the walk breaks through out.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Sheesh.... Did six pretty rough miles yesterday, followed by a terrific 4-mile run/walk (in terms of how I felt). I had intended to run 10. The temperature jumped here in the snow globe to 65-70. It felt GREAT to run in the warm sun, but it did seem to slow me down. My easy miles have been around 11:30 to 12:00 and this was well over 12:00. Oh well... All that said - I feel am ready to try to run the CMM half on Saturday. I am so much more prepared than I was for San Antonio R&R Half and I ran half of that half. Gonna follow the advice given on pacing. Thanks!!
                        Rundadrun27

I am also two weeks away from running an HM. This will be my first. It seems that our training is similar. Good luck to you.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I am also two weeks away from running an HM. This will be my first. It seems that our training is similar. Good luck to you.
                            Our miles do look similar. Good luck to you - be sure to give a report! I'm hoping I didn't put too much taper in my taper.