Over Active Thyroid (Read 75 times)

Does anyone here have any experience with an OVER ACTIVE thyroid. Please feel free to PM, I have a bunch of questions.

robin from maine

Like a thermostat set too high makes you feel tired, weak, washed out; also, hot, rapid heartbeat,  jittery, anxious, sweaty, and can have weight loss and diarrhea. Treated with medicine, sometimes radioactive iodine, occasionally with surgery.

Fixable.

All the above seemingly magnified by a 1000. IT SUCKS, anyway, i'm in the initial stages of treatment, started Atenolol for these crazy Arrythmias.

It is treatable. And after treatment you may be a very different athlete then before all this started for you. But it is treatable and all you have to do now is take action to treat it. This is more a marathon than a 5k quick fix so settle in. Could be a year after treatment before things start to stabilise and correct dosages are found. However...there is nothing that says you can't do whatever you can do at the time you can do it. That means if you can jog...do it. If you can walk...do that. If you can sit down, draw or write a book or music do that. If you need to take a nap...do that. But do go out into nature...and spend some time being there and let thoughts and creativity come to you. Do not let your turn at adversity be a time to feel down about what is happening. Instead embrace it and allow it to make you stronger and perhaps grow in other areas of your life. It is treatable and you will be here for that.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

dhuffman63

Trails

I have Graves Disease, and autoimmune disease which causes hyperthyroidism.  I'm currently in remission but have to carefully watch my stress as that's what kicked it off in the first place.  I'd be happy to tell you my story if you want to email me.

Thank you for your reply, it is reassuring. I've been talking to friends and colleagues and it isn't as scary as I initially thought. Scariest part is having these arrhythmias on going for 4 days now, non stop. Prolly take a few days for the Atenolol to kick in. I have a nuclear exam lined up for Thurs-Fri. so I should find out if it's my whole thyroid or just part of it. My labs are within normal limits except my T3-T4 which are high. Anyway, thanks again for the input everyone. I really appreciate it.

kcam

Atenolol?  Not great for runners, but you have to do what you have to do.  Years ago I was put on Atenolol to control high blood pressure.  Felt like I was running under water.  New doctor found out I was a runner and moved me to an ACE inhibitor (lisiniprol) and I felt much more energetic and like my old self within a few weeks of starting it.  I ran for several years while on Atenolol, I consider those my 'lost years'.

robin from maine

Atenolol to control the rapid heart rate, which ACE can't do. It's not forever, just to reduce the misery while figuring out definitive treatment.

By the way, there's also a very good chance of getting back to pre-problem normal.

4 days on Atenolol now, heart rate is normalish, still have  atrial flutter or something.  I suppose it will take a week or so for that to go away.

Kcam, that's what I'm doing, doing what have to do, and yes.....running  SUCKS right now but at least I still can, barely.. My heart rate skyrockets and I feel like i'm going to drop any second but never do.

Robin, I hope so. I think now that I CAN'T do what I love right now, climb. I hope to l come back with renewed vigor once this is all figured out. I think my goal by December 31st will be to climb 5.12. I know his grade probably means nothing to you guys, but trust me it, it's gonna be freakin' cool.  Thanks again guys.

dhuffman63

Trails

You might ask about seeing a cardiologist if you still have the flutter.  I wore a monitor for a month to determine if I had aFib but luckily no heart issues were observed.  The beta blocker keeps my HR much lower than the previously normal for me of 90 to 100 at rest.  Now it's in the 60's.

Robin, I hope so. I think now that I CAN'T do what I love right now, climb. I hope to l come back with renewed vigor once this is all figured out. I think my goal by December 31st will be to climb 5.12. I know his grade probably means nothing to you guys, but trust me it, it's gonna be freakin' cool.  Thanks again guys.

Just thinking about 5.12 makes my heart skip a beat!!  Hope you feel better soon.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

If I wear a Holter monitor they will definitely see things. I'll ask about this when I talk to my Doc,  will likely be tomorrow. I just took a radioactive pill for thyroid test tomorrow. I was going to get Mexican food tonight, there is a great place right around the corner, but might have to hold off on that because of the Iodine in the salt, at least that's what the guy said that gave me this pill. I checked my HR earlier, was 84.

Just thinking about 5.12 makes my heart skip a beat!!  Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you, runsinskirts.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

1. My wife had her thyroid removed. It took her a while to get her medicine adjusted. Also supplements that the doctor didn't tell her about helped

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes