How competitive are you? (Is this a comet thread?) (Read 1175 times)

SimonR, I do all those things, too. I hold my breathing in when I pass someone so he/she doesn't think I'm passable because I'm huffing and puffing. psych. If a race has a pre-race confirmation list by age group, I look up my competitors on athlinks.com and find out how fast they are. If it's a triathlon, I try to target them to pass them on the run portion. I also make sure nobody passes me in the post-finish-line chute! grrr But I'm not competitive.
      I'm pretty competitive while racing. When I'm with people, I want nothing more than to either leave them behind early or out-kick them with a few hundred meters to go. Honestly, if I were in a pack and someone went down with an injury of some sort, I'd almost certainly just jump over them and keep going. Any time I'm not in between a start and finish line, I'm a lot less competitive. It's still there, but to a much smaller degree.

Non ducor, duco.

I'm competitive too. I like to make sure that I am wearing the cutest outfit among the ladies. Blush Big grin
        I like to kick the crap out of the women that go out there to look good.
        xor

Ooo! Cat fight! Cat fight!

Non ducor, duco.

Ooo! Cat fight! Cat fight!
            oh I forgot to add this. Big grin I dont wanna fight the poster in particular, just chicks in my races that are all matchy-matchy.
            protoplasm72

Usually I'm not competitive. I can get an attitude towards the end of a race though. If I see someone ahead of me that looks old or looks like they should be slower then me I kick it in and pass them or at least try to. I'll often repeat to myself, no way this old guy is gonna beat me. In the last 100 meters of a race I look around to make sure no one is trying to give me the sneaky outkick. If I see someone coming I'll say 'hell no you don't' and drop them in a hurry.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I'm more competitive than you!
                are not!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

In any endeavor, whether it be racing, Scrabble, or eating a pizza, my goal is to destroy you and everything you believe in.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Usually I'm not competitive. I can get an attitude towards the end of a race though. If I see someone ahead of me that looks old or looks like they should be slower then me I kick it in and pass them or at least try to. I'll often repeat to myself, no way this old guy is gonna beat me. In the last 100 meters of a race I look around to make sure no one is trying to give me the sneaky outkick. If I see someone coming I'll say 'hell no you don't' and drop them in a hurry.
                    I think I am often picked out as the "I'm gonna catch that guy" guy. Everybody sees the 40 year old dude huffing mightily, sweating a lot, who weighs 215 pounds, with the bald spot and says "I'm getting him". I have a fast finish though for a middle of the packer... I used to run the 400 & 800 many years ago. I tend to get strangers saying "good job I could not catch you" at the end and I realize they thought they were racing me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I look up the previous year, and I think about who I know in the group and what they're running. I usually drop back from the lead pack when I see the quarter or half split is too fast, and then slowly pass some of the during the rest of the race, and usually kick hard. Passing people is always fun. But I'm usually friendly to people I encounter or pass, and I enjoy it if they speed up and try to stay with me or go ahead.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I like to kick the crap out of the women that go out there to look good.
                        damn. I was kinda hoping you were going to get competitive about the whole pictures thing. Your avatar works well enough though I guess.

A Saucy Wench

I am very competitive with myself. I do look up prior year times sometimes, but mostly to gauge where I should start in the pack. I like to be polite to the faster runners, but not get screwed by the slower ones. I'm getting pretty damn good at positioning myself properly in the field. I'm not terribly competitive against other people, although there are some SPECIFIC people I am very competitive against. Mostly ones who have disparaged my running in the past. But I will try to pick people off, just as a way to keep MYSELF moving and meet MY goals.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

oh I forgot to add this. Big grin I dont wanna fight the poster in particular, just chicks in my races that are all matchy-matchy.
                            Ahhhh I am safe below anda's radar. I tend to wear a shirt that is 2 sizes too big and baggy shorts. Whatever is clean. Speaking of which, I should go do laundry for this weekend.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

matchy-matchy...(could this be me?) Shocked I target women with "girly strides." The splayed-out feet. Bleah! They deserve to be marathon roadkill. Evil grin I also target women who wear yoga pants to race in. Racing in yoga pants is just stupid. Evil grin I target teenage boys because they need to eat some humble pie. (I have to pass them decisively because invariably, they'll sprint like an idiot at the end.) Evil grin I target people wearing their race bib on their backs. Sorry, newbies! Evil grin I target people who are overdressed. They should have known better than to wear their favorite jacket. Evil grin I feel bad passing people who have leg cramps, though, and also those who are in costume -- it takes more effort to run when you're dressed as a frog. Undecided
                                I am completely into smilies today. Sorry about that. Embarrassed