Podrunner: Intervals launches February 1, 2008 (Read 755 times)

dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Hey, guys! I feel bad posting an announcement as my first post at runningahead, but I came here after realizing that it wasn't my link to the old forum that hadn't updated, it was the old forum that didn't update my old link! It looks like a lot of the CR crew is here, and I'm looking forward to reading posts (& weighing in) as I'm able to. For now, though, I wanted to let y'all know that Podrunner: Intervals, a separate podcast of varied-BPM mixes for interval training, will launch on my website and iTunes (and any podcast aggregator) on February 1, 2008. There's more info on the Dec. 28 entry of my Run Time newsletter. Nice watering hole ya have here. Smile
    Steve Boyett
    Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
    Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
      Welcome to RA. I love your podcasts. They keep me moving many mornings.
      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
      dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Thank you very much! I'm loving this interface -- clean, intuitive -- and a SEARCH FUNCTION!!!! I do the Snoopy Dance of Joy.
        Steve Boyett
        msl

Steve! Any of your mixes longer than an hour? ( Who would have thought I would ever ask that question!!) edited to say: I just read your newsletter! I cannot wait for the HM mixes! Thanks Michelle
            Thank you for all your hard work. Dh and I both look forward to your podcasts. We will be sure to check out your interval mixes.
              Steve! I just read your newsletter! I cannot wait for the HM mixes!
              Ditto
              dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Steve! Any of your mixes longer than an hour? ( Who would have thought I would ever ask that question!!) edited to say: I just read your newsletter! I cannot wait for the HM mixes! Thanks Michelle
                Michelle-- It is very cool that you're able to ask this question, isn't it? I'm afraid I've had to cap mixes at an hour because we are currently doing over 40 terabytes of transfer a month, and bandwidth is a serious consideration. Also, licensing for this music is well into the mid five-figures a year, and adding to that makes it pretty tough to keep Podrunner afloat. Before long, though, you'll be able to put like-BPM mixes in a row, but it's going to take a bit to rebuild an archive. (I had to take down nearly 90 mixes when our music licensing agreement changed after we acquired sponsorship.) Chels & Csmithn-- Thanks so much! We're focusing on a "First Day to 5K" set similar to C25K at first and haven't committed to an agenda for moving beyond that other than what's been loosely described.At the moment it seems to make sense to move from 5K to 10K to HM, so I hope you'll be patient! Figuring out a release schedule that is fair to everybody can be maddening. To be honest we are taking a bit of a chance with P : I, as we have to build up a decent-sized listenership in 2-3 months for P : I to be viable at all, which is why I'm asking listeners to spread the word to anyone who might be interested. It's not entirely from my insidious selfish desires to metastasize my evil podcast empire; if enough people download, everybody can keep getting it for free. We like free. Free good. And Happy New Year, everyone!
                Steve Boyett
                  steve, great to see you here! i read your newsletter, but it's nice to see you here at ra. congrats on a very successful year of podrunner mixes, and best wishes for your future. you did a great job with your recent sponsorships (although i do miss access to that archive). i'm looking forward your interval session mixes, since i run 2-3 speed sessions per week. wishing you and yours a great year in 2008.
                  msl

I have an archive of my own, don't I? All the previously downloaded mixes with my subscription to Podrunner? I can easily then put together my own similar BMP to form longer than one hour...right?
                    dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

mcsolar-- Thank you so much! It's 11:15 on January 1 and I'm not quite recovered from last night yet. Worth it, though! Most people I know are fairly glad to see 2007 go out the door, and are very optimistic about 2008. I had a fair-to-middlin' 2007, but 2008 is looking huge. Thank you for your good wishes (and for subscribing to RUN TIME!), and I hope that however you look back on your year, you look forward to this one! MSL-- There were nearly 90 mixes up, and I believe all BPMs got covered twice, so there should be at least two hours available between 130-180 BPM. When I started Podrunner I never dreamed I'd be covering the range (or longevity!) I have, so there are actually more on the zeros and fives than any other BPMs. I'd think you could put together good-length list, especially with more on the way every week. To anyone interested in the archived mixes, I strongly recommend perusing the more recent entries on the Yahoo Podrunner Group. Other listeners are a great resource. Wink
                      Steve Boyett
                        Alright, I just took one of these mixes on a run to see what the fuss is all about. Cool. Very cool. I didn't even have the "right speed" w/ me and I still really liked it. I'm a fan. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Marcus-- I'm glad it worked for you! It's a bit frustrating right now that I had to take down a huge archive on Nov.1, because until then I was able to tell people to download a range of a few BPMs on either side of what they thought might be their ideal, and that way they could dial in an ideal pace. Now I have to ask for your patience while we rebuild an inventory, but there will eventually be a mix at every BPM between 130-180, with some "ramp" mixes that escalate steadily thrown in, and then we'll start duplicating BPMs so people can have fresh music for their ideal pace. Thanks for giving Podrunner a try!
                          Steve Boyett
                            with some "ramp" mixes that escalate steadily thrown in
                            I was just thinking about that this morning as I tend to start off slower and build during a run to a constant pace. How do you determine the extent of the build?
                            dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

They've varied. Over an hour a build of 30 BPM seems pretty good; I've done 130 to 160 and 140 to 170 (and I forget what-all else). Accelerating too much in an hour makes it hard to keep pace; you feel like you're always trying to catch up. I try and time it so that if I'm increasing by 30 BPM over the hour, the 30-minute mark is also the +15-BPM mark. You also want the last 5 minutes, at least, to be a steady run at the peak BPM. The ramp mixes have gotten very positive reactions as conditioning mixes. They're harder than they seem; most people start out slower than they usually run and end up faster than they usually run, and it seems to be common to cover more distance and/or spend the full hour running. I'm playing with the notion of a podcast dedicated to ramp mixes as well, but first I need to see how Podrunner: Intervals goes!
                              Steve Boyett
                                Keep on mixing!!!!!! your podcasts have helped me get through my 20+ mile runs!!!! wish I could run my race with my Ipod Sad Good luck in 2008!!!! Smile