Running on the balls of your feet (Read 4555 times)

JimR

Jim: A good point but I don't necessarily agree. On my morning jog, I probably go at 10-minute pace or slower and I still land the way I do--on my forefoot. Last year, I gave my girl 2~6 weeks of break during the summer after track season. My Achilles was very sore so I thought, okay, this is a good chance to not run at all and rest. Well, it turned out, rest actually made it worse! So I thought, the hell with it, I'll run. Naturally, I was moving very slowly. Now because my Achilles hurt, I was "sitting in a bucket" and bringing my foot more forward than my natural landing. I was landing on my heel but, like I said, I was "sitting in a bucket" and the emphasis was more like "brinigng my foot forward". Interestingly, I got tired more and more quickly. So I brought my C of G up higher (not sit in a buckett) and very slightly lean forward; trying to, as I put it, "draw a circle with my legs". Sure, Achilles hurt like hell; but I started to move much more smoothly, naturally, and with less effort. On the side note; interestingly, initially Achilles hurt very much running like that; but it got much better by running this way. I've had this Achilles problem for over 7 years and I think I learnt a lot about it. I actually swear by minimalist shoes, XC running, and eccentric exercise more than anything else.
    Thanks nobby. I'm not a heel striker and the wear patterns on my shoes show I'm pretty even, but I know when I run slower (~10/mile) the action is a rolling motion so the pressure is even overall but I'm not braking when I contact. If I pick it up, there's less pressure on the back and I attribute it to the contact point of my foot. I don't know if the shoe itself is landing much different but the pressure after contact is definitely different and shifts closer to the front. I don't think the difference is very extreme, not like I'm running off my toes, but it's there. The 'draw a circle' sums up what I see runners much better than me do and I think a lot of us slower folk avoid making (or maybe we just can't) more exaggerated leg motions when running, probably in an effort to save energy.

#artbydmcbride

Barefoot running leads to forefoot landings also. Try short runs on soft surfaces barefoot. Smile

Runners run

This is a good topic. In an effort to try to reduce injuries, I have just recently started trying to run mid-foot and sometimes - especially on the hills - I'm up on the balls of my feet. I've been running faster and feeling stronger using this method. But I'm not sure whether that's just the cooler weather. It seems to work best at the beginning of the run and not very well downhill. I've been reading about Chi-running but I think it would be better to take a course to have someone check out my form to make sure I'm doing it right.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Half Fanatic #846

Barefoot running leads to forefoot landings also. Try short runs on soft surfaces barefoot. Smile
          That's right; I run a little barefoot to help strengthen my feet. Also, Nike Frees are designed to be closer to barefoot running than normal running shoes (I can "feel" the ground in mine) and they help promote forefoot landings. Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

You can't simply jump out one day and run 25k on your balls and feel fine.
            <snicker>

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

xor

The POSE method is ball striking
              Then please don't do it near me. <ouch> </ouch>

Imminent Catastrophe

It is indeed possible. Many elites are forefoot strikers, as are most, if not all, runners who run barefoot or in sandals (like the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico who run in sandals over a hundred miles at a stretch). The key is that they have been running that way for the many, many years that it takes to develop the required Achilles tendon and calf strength. Forefoot striking is very hard on the lower legs. I converted from heel striker to forefoot striker in the last year (not voluntarily--I had to because of foot spasms that I get when heel striking) and I can tell you that it is hard, but possible. I trained this way since March. I had frequent Achilles and calf pain while building up but managed to run a marathon in August. I finished well but ended up with Achilles tendinitis which I am just now getting over. Bottom line, you can do it but it takes a very long time to build up your tendon and calf strength, and you will most likely have problems with your Achilles tendons and calves. It will probably take me at least another year to develop the tendon and calf strength that I need.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Link spam. Read all 5 parts from the series if interested. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html
                  JakeKnight

Ah. Pose/Chi/forefoot/midfoot. One of the original Comet Trifecta. I've almost missed it. I still recommend Chia Running.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Scout7

Point of order: I think Geb is still on top as the best distance runner.
                      JakeKnight

I think Geb is still on top as the best distance runner.
                        There you go with that mind-reading thing again. Yeah, I caught that, to. Didn't he run a fast marathon recently or something?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

The POSE method is ball striking...
                          I have never been able to get past the pain of ball striking to give it a serious try. Ball striking might be good for some, but not me. It's really tough for me to run all doubled over.
                          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                          Scout7

There you go with that mind-reading thing again. Yeah, I caught that, to. Didn't he run a fast marathon recently or something?
                            Yes, I believe he did. Something like a record for it. I think it was a World Record, to be precise.

Think Whirled Peas

I have never been able to get past the pain of ball striking to give it a serious try. Ball striking might be good for some, but not me. It's really tough for me to run all doubled over.
                              I'mma fairly decent ball striker, particularly with my mid-irons. My problem comes in the short game. Me no likey chippy-chippy. Also, I can't run well when I'm ball striking. Nearly impossible to drive the cart. And hold my beer.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, ball striking hurts like hell. Oh, you meant the ball of the foot. Never mind.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016