Maine man ushers in 2009 by running Boston Marathon course (Read 870 times)

I hope he enjoyed his run, it was pretty cold here this morning. From http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/01/01/a_running_start_to_2009/ : At 6 a.m. every New Year's Day, Gary Allen toes a faded starting line in Hopkinton in deserted darkness, the hallowed Boston Marathon course silently stretching before him and him alone. With a beep of his watch he is off, the first runner in the new year to embark on the long road to Boston, leaving a new mark on the world's oldest annual marathon. The wiry 51-year-old from Maine covers miles without encountering a soul. In Framingham, dawn breaks, but the world remains fast asleep. In Wellesley, site of a deafening din on race day, the only sound is the draw of his breath and the fall of his feet. In Newton, he and Heartbreak Hill wage a lonely battle, with no cheers to push him over the rise. If all goes well this morning, Allen will complete his fifth New Year's journey in Copley Square, crossing a snow-washed finish line unnoticed. Then, as usual, he will smile wearily for an arm-length photograph of himself in the middle of a carless street. "All is quiet on New Year's Day," Allen quipped, referencing lyrics to a U2 song. Allen's annual 26.2-mile trek is both a personal tribute to the acclaimed race and a heartfelt ritual of reflection and renewed resolve. While Patriots Day brings some 25,000 runners along the marathon route, Allen runs alone, thoughts of the year past and the one ahead his only companions. "It's a perfectly clean slate," he said in an interview this week after an afternoon run. "There is no more historical stretch of road in running than the Boston Marathon, and I can't think of a better way to start a new year. It's a magical experience." Allen, an accomplished marathoner who has broken the three-hour mark 53 times, said he rarely sees another runner before he reaches Newton and assumes he is the first runner each year to traverse the entire course. That is a humbling, nearly mystical, concept, he said, a perfect match of time and place. "For runners, the course is bigger than any of us," said Allen, a jack-of-all-trades who counts landscaping, farming, carpentry, boat-building, and lobstering among his professions. "I'm just a grain of sand on the beach. But during the run, when it's pitch dark and perfectly still, you can feel the energy. There have been so many dreams realized - and broken - along the road." Allen, a lifelong resident of Great Cranberry Island, Maine, began the tradition four years ago while staying in Boston with family. He wanted to get in a long run to prepare for the actual Boston race in April, which he has run 16 times, and decided he might as well run the course. Runners take to the Boston course throughout the year, of course, particularly on weekend mornings leading up to the April race. Visitors make a point of blending the infamous Newton hills into their training, to witness the legends themselves. While New Year's Day, with resolutions fresh in the mind, is a popular day for a run, even the most dedicated runners might sleep in a bit, and save the full marathon distance for their next race. In stark contrast to race day, when Hopkinton crackles with energy, the starting line is a desolate, often bitterly cold, scene on New Year's Day. Allen, a slender 6-foot-1-inch, 160-pound runner who has logged more than 100,000 miles without serious injury, says he gently stretches before beginning at precisely 6 a.m. "You just launch yourself down that hill," Allen said of the start. Except for the weather, early New Year's Day provides a serene setting, he said. The mile markers are visible, and he puts a few waters along the route beforehand. He runs in the road the entire way, even running tangents to reduce distance, and has never had to stop at a light. "It's the only other day, besides race day, when there are basically no cars on the course," said Allen, who says he has run the course on New Year's in as little as three hours, 10 minutes. Allen, who started running when he was 13 and now directs the Mount Desert Island Marathon, heads to bed before midnight on New Year's Eve to rest up for the run, but celebrates First Night festivities with his wife and 6-year-old daughter and has a nice dinner out. Allen said the tradition invariably produces transcendent moments, and he has come to savor it more than the actual race. He finds his New Year's run purer, a more authentic celebration of running and one of its most sacred venues, and more personally inspiring. "Given the choice, I'd take the New Year's," he said. "It always lives up to all my expectations, and more." There is no finisher's medal or space blanket, no hoopla. Just the burn in his legs, the bite of the air, and the slow, triumphant walk to his family's house.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Imminent Catastrophe

Marathon Maniac #59.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Marathon Maniac #59.
        Very cool. Are you still planning to run Mount Desert Island Perfesser?

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

It must have been cold for him this morning. It was 9F with -15F winchills when I went out at like 10. He starts at 6 AM when it would have been about 4. That's some cold stuff for running 26.2. I saw that story in the Globe today too.

Runners run

xor

Here's Gary at the NYCM a few years back. You might recognize the man just behind him. And if not, his bib gives it away. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's Gary at the NYCM a few years back. You might recognize the man just behind him. And if not, his bib gives it away. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
              Don't tell my husband I said this, but I think Lance Armstrong is a major tool. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I've met the man and I think the same thing. That said, it's still pretty cool that Gary ran a bit with him... and then left him in the dust Smile.

mikeymike

I ran more than a bit with him at Boston this last year...then he left me in the dust Sad Not my best race. Dammit. mta: still getting used to the fact it's 2009 now.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've met the man and I think the same thing. That said, it's still pretty cool that Gary ran a bit with him... and then left him in the dust Smile.
                    Yeah, Gary sounds like a cool guy. I can't imagine running that distance alone in the cold. I know DH thinks Lance is cool because of all that he has overcome health-wise (we lost my FIL to cancer) and because of the particular sport...but that whole "Lance-specific" finish line and media afforded him when he ran NYCM really left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't even know about the special "Lance" bib. Gag me. Seriously. What a friggin' ass.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

For those who haven't done MDI and are considering it: very fun race, well organized, I didn't think it was nearly as hard as the website makes it sound (website: "treat it like an ultra"... nah). The weather was really terrible the last time I ran it, though. 4 stars! Two thumbs up! 5 chili peppers! Edited to add: Gary got Martha Stewart as a guest star and awards presenter right after she was released from the klink. That was kind of cool. But he had a way, way cooler and altogether more subtle presence there too. The guy that announced stuff before the start of the race... I don't recall his name... is the dude that says "In the criminal justice system..." before every Law & Order.

mikeymike

Yes, MDI is on my list. Bad weather would be a deal breaker for me though. I'm not running it unless it's chamber of commerce fall in New England weather. And that's final.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

Very cool. Are you still planning to run Mount Desert Island Perfesser?
                          Absolutely! It's on my bucket list. In '08 I had vacation, hotel reservations, flights--it was all planned but I just wasn't ready, not even for a "just survive" race (by my loose standards) so I went anyway and just did a couple easy runs in Acadia NP and drove the race route. What a beautiful and challenging course, I can't wait to do it for real. And I still had a great time! I've bid on another mid-October vacation in '09.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Yes, MDI is on my list. Bad weather would be a deal breaker for me though. I'm not running it unless it's chamber of commerce fall in New England weather. And that's final.
                            heh. Well, there's a difference between shiTAY weather and blow-you-off-your-feet wind and freezing rain. Perhaps someone has pull with your CoC. (I wrote that just to balance perfesser's macaque crack elsewhere)

Flat footer

I live two towns over from Hopkinton and I ran on the treadmill today because it was to cold. I feel like a pussy now. He did 26 in single digit temps!
                              xor

I live two towns over from Hopkinton and I ran on the treadmill today because it was to cold. I feel like a pussy now. He did 26 in single digit temps!
                                Gary's not a pussy, but to borrow a semi-quote from Office Space, you are also not a pussy. You got out on Mother of All Hangovers Day and ran. treadmill, outside, whatever. You did it, maaaan. That's goodness. (I'm the pussy. If it's below 35 and semi-kinda-windy, I'm on the treadmill too.)