Running with Hypothyroidism (Read 3126 times)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi. I am a 40 year old woman who started running again today after a 2 1/2 year hiatus. I quit because literally, it was a struggle every step of the way. About 2 months ago, I had some bloodwork done. Suprisingly, I was anemic and also had hypothyroidism. Two big contributors to my sluggishness. Today's run as great--3 miles, with some walking, but it feels good to be moving again. Can I expect this to continue? Any one else deal with this?

Member Since 2008

Does Hypothyroidism really effect your running? I was diagnosed with it about a year ago. That might explain several things. Trent can you chime in?

Driver, Runner, Bestie

It negatively impacted my energy level. I also suffered with circulation problems, too, and my legs and hands tingled and were numb. Mentally and physically, I just didn't even want to pick up my feet.
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

There's actually a group here devoted to that specific topic: Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold
          Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have hypothyroidism and just did my longest run a couple of days ago (12 miles) and have my first half later this month. Don't push it too hard, and you will see results and you will feel better.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If untreated, hypothyroidism can substantially diminish your energy, your sense of strength, your wakefullness, your focus and your ability to sleep well, all of which can translate to poor running. When properly treated, you should be able to run normally. Much luck!
                A good friend of mine has it. This person is on the thyroid medication. It's helped greatly because this person places in the top-5 of most 100 mile runs entered.

Member Since 2008

Thanks Trent. I was given medication for this, but have not been taking it as I should, thinking it was a bunch of hog wash. I will get with my doctor and start taking the medication again and see if it helps my energy level. Although I am now working the night shift and my system is thrown for a loop.
                    Im a 56 yr old male and have been taking medication for this for 20+ years - with no side effects. After your dr determines the proper dosage of medication for you - you will be just fine....but you may have to go back a few time and get your blood tested until they get your meds figured out...its a little tricky at first.....(it can take 3 to 6 months to get the dose just right) - after that - peice of cake... But after you take the medication for even 2 weeks - everything really changes ...so you must be feeling better now..... I doubht you'll have a problem......... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Thanks Trent. I was given medication for this, but have not been taking it as I should, thinking it was a bunch of hog wash. I will get with my doctor and start taking the medication again and see if it helps my energy level. Although I am now working the night shift and my system is thrown for a loop.
                      GO PRE - Definately take this medication and take this condition seriously.....its not hogwash - GUARANTEE (but really easy to deal with).......and as stated it can also take the Doc 3 to 6 months to get it regulated correctly...its tricky to get regulated 100% correctly - at first, but when treated properly there are not effects....I know this as a result of 20+ years of dealing with it..... Shocked You won't believe the difference in how you feel after you take the meds for 2 to 3 weeks.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

+1 , John-A I don't have a thyroid - now that I am properly regulated, I see no difference in what ever activities I do - BUT, before my doses were straightened out - it was a major problem - not just in the energy levels, but also the way my muscles could recover - I had a real problem with knots building up regardless of how much cool down/stretching I did. Not a problem anymore. If you are being treated for anemia - please make sure to take your iron supplement at least 4 hours apart from your thyroid meds - it can interfere with absorbtion of the thyroid meds. Great news that you are feeling better and running again!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

After your dr determines the proper dosage of medication for you - you will be just fine....but you may have to go back a few time and get your blood tested until they get your meds figured out...its a little tricky at first.....(it can take 3 to 6 months to get the dose just right) - after that - peice of cake...
                          Well said... Personally, I've been tweaking my levels for a few years and consider it more frustrating than diabetes, but if you stay on top of it, you can get where you need the levels to be.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Take the meds - they help. As much as I hate meds, I'd never give up my thyroid meds.

TRUST THE PROCESS