"Self-Service" Road Race Rankings (Read 1330 times)

SoCal Pete

Hi RunningAhead forum users!

Hey, I've noticed over the past couple months that quite a few participants in this forum have visited and linked to my blog, Younger Legs for Older Runners.

So I thought you might be interested to know that I've just gone live with "Road Race Rankings" for older runners - those of us 30 and over.  It's a self-input rankings system, meaning you fill out a "Submit Results" form, and then you instantly get ranked!

You can enter results for as many race distances as you want.  Then you can check your rankings in three different ways.  You can go to "Athlete Lists" and click on your name, which will instantly pull up your times for all races and your rank at each distance.  Or you can go into indiviual "Events" rankings and see where you stand in your age group that way - as well as checking out who else is ranked.  Or you can access the age-graded "Top 100" for each race distance, which pits runners from all age groups against one another via age-grading.

In any case, I hope I'm not breaking any rule of this forum by posting a link back to my own blog for this.  But since so many of you are regular visitors anyway, and since I think this is such a great system.  And since it's really important that it get off to a good start - meaning I need as many people who are willing to seed the system with their results as possible, so that others will follow - I figured I'd take the chance.

Here's the link:

http://www.mastersrankings.com/index.php?pseason=RR

Thanks!

Pete

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pete, you're the last person we'd shout out of here for pimping his/her blog.  I can't tell you enough how much those of us who read and subscribe to it appreciate your experience and insight.  Keep it up!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hi RunningAhead forum users!

So I thought you might be interested to know that I've just gone live with "Road Race Rankings" for older runners - those of us 30 and over.

Hey Pete -- if you call 'older' runners 30 and over....what do you call guys like me that are turning 57 next month??

Is there a category called 'Aincent Runners"   or maybe "Geezer Runners" that is possible more appropriate for us runners taht are 'truly older' runners??

i was just checking it out --- this is pretty interesting.......thks Pete

Champions are made when no one is watching

jfa

...what do you call guys like me that are turning 57 next month??

Hey come on John, don't you know that 57 is the new 35?!?

Thanks Pete! I love your site and that ranking thing sounds cool !

SoCal Pete

Well, John A, I'm about to turn 48 myself (in June), so I'm a little over the 30 threshold myself!  ;-)

In fact, when I was on today's morning run and actually had to detour around a chain that was blocking my usual trail entrance - a chain that was dangling about 6 inches off the ground - I felt like I was about to turn 78 (though I doubt Earl Fee, at 80 and still running hurdles, would have ever considered detouring around a chain at that height!).

But I figure our early 30s is when most of our age-related running troubles begin ... you know, the training and recovery errors that lead to so many problems when we hit 40 ... and then 50 ... and then 60 ... and then....

So if we can rope runners in early, maybe we can guide them down a kindler gentler path into their golden running years.  Besides, the years from age 30 to 40 can be very lonely, as we lose the youthful spring that had us competing in our 20s and are left to trudge through a long decade before we are reborn as masters.  So I figure it's almost our duty to help the "young" ones along so that, by the time they do turn 40, they're still running and all the more ready to join the masters ranks.

Now must get to work on this week's Weekly Roundup!

Best regards!

Pete

flovesparko

Hey Pete,  your blog is awesome!  Thanks.
                Ditto.  Love the blog.  (another ancient runner)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Prince of Fatness

Pete,

My times put me solidly in the mid pack but I entered them.  I don't mind helping you at all, since your blog is required reading.  I like being able to get AG rankings .... interesting stuff.

One thing I noticed is that there is no 5 mile option.  That distance is quite prevalent here in the mid Atlantic states.  Any plans to add it?  If not it's no big deal.

Oh, and there is a masters group here on RA.  You may want to join that group and introduce yourself over there.  Many there are aware of your blog.

Masters Group

Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

I was going to make use of your self-input rankings, but I don't turn 30 for a few more months. I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

My sentiments exactly. I've learned a lot from it.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                        I'll tell you one thing -- after you look at some of the records and top times for guys in any age group (i was specifically focused on age 55-59), you have a whole new respect for older runners....

Good proper training and it looks like 50'ish guys can put up some pretty serious numbers.....(or fast times)....

PETE - What specifically does the term "All American Standard: 22:42 mean?

<form> </form> <form> </form> <form> </form> <form> </form>

M50      5K      Show Complete M50 5K List

All American Standard: 22:42

16:36.00

90.26%

BRIAN PILCHER

SAN FRANCISCO,CA on 04/19/2009

16:40.0h

89.20%

JOHN LOFTUS

CARLSBAD,CA on 04/05/2009

17:01.3h

87.34%

ROGER SAYRE

WASILLA,AK on 05/16/2009

21:13.0h

69.52%

KEVIN COWLEY

PORTLAND,OR on 03/15/2009

Champions are made when no one is watching

Younger Legs for Older Runners.

When I saw that title I couldn't get over there fast enough. Great blog!

A pretty fair runner, this Pete Magil guy is too:

American 45-49 record holder at 3K (8:37), 5k ( 14:34), and 10k (31:27). Sick!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Right on Hereford...

Younger Legs for Older Runners.

When I saw that title I couldn't get over there fast enough. Great blog!

A pretty fair runner, this Pete Magil guy is too:

American 45-49 record holder at 3K (8:37), 5k ( 14:34), and 10k (31:27). Sick!

Jim, don't tell me this is the first you'd heard of Pete's blog!

The Running Mom

Crap. I'm "older." Thanks for the link.
                              Monica My Blog

MoBramExam

Well said.  Another fan here...In fact, direct quote from my training log just this morning:

"Lots of self-doubting for last couple days leading up to this. Even short bad dream after hitting the snooze button this morning. Couple of bananas, some coffee, and a Pete Mcgill blog got me where I needed to be mentally."

Thanks again for sharing your experience.