Does racing make anyone else sick? (Read 1198 times)

This is a bizarre thing that continues to happen to me. I have been running for about 5 months, and I ran my first race on Oct. 25. I was fine during the race, but the minute it was over, my nose started running, I was sneezing like crazy, and I had a terrible cold. It lasted about four days, and then I was fine. I raced again November 8, and the same thing happened. About 15 minutes after the race, I began sneezing like crazy, and then my nose ran for days. This time I saw a doctor who prescribed a nasal spray and an antibiotic because he thought I had allergies that had developed into an infection. I felt fairly good again by Thursday of this week, so I raced again yesterday. This time, I was feeling it by the finish line. As soon as we finished, I started in sneezing. By the time I got home, my nose was running constantly and my throat was on fire. This morning, my throat is still on fire, and I cannot get two inches away from the Puffs. I run outside daily in the same conditions as race day, and I never get any symptoms after my daily runs--even the long ones. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I am miserable, but I love racing. I want to train for a marthon eventually, but I have to get to a point where I can race without the accompanying flu-like symptoms Confused

Running Dad

Hard running(racing) can affect your immune system but that close to finish is confusing. More than likely you already had(have) what your talking about(flu) before your run but it's your running that's setting it off. Or it could all just be Psychsomatic?
      Things to do this year:
      Not get an injury
      Things done this year:
      Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
        I was reading this and couldn't help but chuckle a bit; I get this runny nose, pretty much throughout the year, some mornings. It's always first thing in the morning; it runs and runs and runs and, by 9AM, it's fine. I always tell my wife that I'm allergic to the morning so I should sleep in! ;o) Maybe you're just allergic to races! Yes, hard racing would affect your body quite a bit different from training runs but, looking at your workout log, I don't think you are running that much harder in racing that some training (this is another matter...). Probably a possibility is that you might be allergic to something that some other people have/wear (BO? ;o) or maybe some sort of perfume or things like anti-perspirant or some sort???). I'm assuming, when you race, there are tons of people around you??? If you run 9:50~10:10 pace for your race and 10:20~11:00 pace for training, it's hard to imagine "races" are putting that much more stress on your body that could lower your immune system. Symptoms sound so much like allergy anyways; I would incline to thinkn it's the environment races would bring that training would not (mass of people). I used to work for Breathe Right Nasal Strip. They had a study that nasal spray actually get your nose so accustommed to it that, it may start to clog up when you don't use it. BR is, as they claim, drug-free product that mechanically dilate your nasal passage. If your nose skin can handle the adhesive, I'd use that instead of the spray. If you think it's too expensive, send me your address; I'll send you a boxful--I still have whole bunch including some prototype. They had clear one but that's basically plastic. It's not as comfortable and hard to stay on your nose. I worked on some prototype with whole bunch of holes punched throughtout the product. They never make them but, one time I was talking to this coach in Japan and their number 2 runner on the team had stuffy nose problem when she runs but didn't want to wear regular tan strip. I sent her this prototype clear ones and she absolutely loved them she became a regular user. She finished 4th in the Tokyo women's marathon this past weekend (2:25). I even have some sample of Breathe Right for horses which I designed! ;o) Seriously... One the side note, I see your "fastest" mile came from one-mile run you did THE DAY BEFORE one of your races. I would not quite recommend that. It might be good as a speed work but you probably don't want to do that the day before the race. I actually prescribe 1km tempo run the day before the race to, well, a bit faster guys. I tried it myself this past summer and I didn't perform as well. It sort of occured to me that, when I do 1km now, it takes about 3:45. That's too long (I used to do it in 2:50). So next time on, I just did 2:30 fast. It really worked. It's not so much of the distance (1km) that mattered but the sustained effort of a certain duration (2:30~2:50) that really put you in a good rhythm. 9-minutes is way too long. Besides, this is pretty much a recipe for someone who runs everyday, sometimes twice a day. If you run everyday, say, up to about 25~30 miles a week; then I'd give 1km good effort on Wednesday, then jog on Thrsday and Friday (20~30 minutes) and race on Saturday. If you run, say, 3 or 4 times a week; then 1 mile tempo the weekend before and jog through the week and then race. Try that and see how you feel. Of course, this would most probably not help your runny nose in any way what-so-ever...
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to work for Breathe Right Nasal Strip. They had a study that nasal spray actually get your nose so accustommed to it that, it may start to clog up when you don't use it. BR is, as they claim, drug-free product that mechanically dilate your nasal passage. If your nose skin can handle the adhesive, I'd use that instead of the spray.
          I doubt the spray her doc prescribed is a nasal decongestant, as you are suggesting. More likely a nasal steroid, which isn't something one becomes "accustomed to," like those addictive OTC sprays, which are bad news. Nasal steroids are used to treat sinus allergies, not temporary congestion--I am on one year-round (Flonase). It uses the same steroid that I inhale 2x/day to treat my asthma. Not at all comparable to something like Afrin, which most docs will recommend patients stay FAR away from, as they are addictive and can cause chronic sinus congestion. I don't feel immediately sick after races, but did get sick within a few days of finishing my marathon...I had felt something coming on for weeks before that. I think I am lucky that I wasn't sick ON race day. Jeanne, I wonder if your illnesses are simply coincidental...? Keep racing...keep a log of what happens. I can't believe that this would happen to you every time.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Zoomy: Yeah, makes sense. I guess I left BRNS too early to know all that??? ;o) I still think it's the BO from people around her...??? ;o) Just (half) joking. No, I don't think "racing" would cause "runny" nose although it sounds rather appropriate!? ;o)
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I still think it's the BO from people around her...??? ;o) Just (half) joking. No, I don't think "racing" would cause "runny" nose although it sounds rather appropriate!? ;o)
              jscovill and I walked by a guy before the start of the Milwaukee marathon...he REEKED. We both looked at each other like this Shocked while holding back gagging. I can't believe anyone would be so socially inept as to run with others while having so little regard for personal hygiene. It was NASTY. Dead

~ Sarah Kay

Oh... Sorry! Clowning around
                  jscovill and I walked by a guy before the start of the Milwaukee marathon...he REEKED. We both looked at each other like this Shocked while holding back gagging. I can't believe anyone would be so socially inept as to run with others while having so little regard for personal hygiene. It was NASTY. Dead
                  I've only encountered it once, at the Yankee Homecoming 10 miler in Newburyport. The race is in July so it's hot as hell, but still pretty impressive if you can make people gag as they are running outside. Nasty hardly begins to describe it, everyone in the pack was more than willing to give her extra personal space.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Is it possible that as soon as you are done with the race that your body knows it and lets down? When I was in college, I used to get sick during every break....spring break, summer, thanksgiving, winter....and realized it was because it was the one time where I felt like I could get sick without major repercussions.

TRUST THE PROCESS

... it was the one time where I felt like I could get sick without major repercussions.
                      DH already knows he should plan something for the first days of our vacations, because every time I have a week or longer off, I get sick...

Running in Belgium
                      Ann

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DH already knows he should plan something for the first days of our vacations, because every time I have a week or longer off, I get sick...
                        I had a bad flu for about half of our 1 week honeymoon. Fever, chills, cough, sinus gunk, miserable. At least 2 nights were spent miserably ill and I missed the cool tidal bore that came in late at night in Truro, Nova Scotia, since I was too sick to go out and watch it come in. I actually think I may have picked up something on the flight over, since it was about 3 days later that I fell ill. I get sick a few days after nearly every time I fly. All sorts of nasty stuff floating around on planes with recycled air.

~ Sarah Kay

What where you doing before the races? Where you a bit over trained? Did you have several hard weeks in a row? Perhaps it isn't just the race but you are wearing yourself out leading up to the race... if you get overly tried it will lower you immune system.
                          JimR

I had a bad flu for about half of our 1 week honeymoon. Fever, chills, cough, sinus gunk, miserable. At least 2 nights were spent miserably ill and I missed the cool tidal bore that came in late at night in Truro, Nova Scotia, since I was too sick to go out and watch it come in. I actually think I may have picked up something on the flight over, since it was about 3 days later that I fell ill. I get sick a few days after nearly every time I fly. All sorts of nasty stuff floating around on planes with recycled air.
                            You spent your honeymoon in Truro? Dear god....
                              Is it possible that as soon as you are done with the race that your body knows it and lets down? When I was in college, I used to get sick during every break....spring break, summer, thanksgiving, winter....and realized it was because it was the one time where I felt like I could get sick without major repercussions.
                              This is interesting because I always get sick at the end of every semester (I am an English Professor). I also got sick while I was in college as soon as finals were over. I wonder if your theory might be correct.
                                Or it could all just be Psychsomatic?
                                If it is psychosomatic, it is the most annoying "fake" illness ever! I have been through at least seven boxes of Kleenex and have spent over $150 on docs and medicine since my October 25 race.