1600/3200 Track shape (Read 384 times)

I also do a summer training program where I reward the kids in August for meeting their training goals.  I require them to use the RunningAhead training log.  I encourage them to read the forums and I even give them a list of posters to whom they should "follow."  Spaniel, you have been first on that list for a few years.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Feeling the growl again

what I sense as hostility.  I could be wrong, but that's how I took your post.

\...

Many, I can't put a percentage on it, of the high school coaches I know are coaching track and XC because it is a passion of theirs.  Most have been runners since their own high school days.  Where I am, the idea of a coach just being some casual person from the building is a foreign concept.  Not saying it doesn't happen as I am sure it does.  It's just not my experience.

I'm surprised sometimes by the nastiness I see on this board.  It's not the norm, but as a frequent reader and rare poster, I am disheartened by the more than occasional hostility.  I have used the training log here since the beginning and really do enjoy reading the forums.  But I have always felt there is a hierarchy and a demand for deference to the most frequent posters, best runners, and to those who would invest the energy in making this a vibrant community.

My post was not intended as hostility.  For sure, I have grown awful weary of internet nastiness and negativity.  Reasonable people can disagree.

However it is my experience that despite what I am sure is the best of intentions...on average...high school coaching of distance runners is awful and coaches are...on AVERAGE...pretty poor in their knowledge of how to develop distance athletes.  The possession of such a skill set is completely a separate issue from their desire to do what is best for their athletes or a passion for the sport.  My HS coach was awful at developing my skills as an athlete, but wonderful at instilling a love of the sport in me.  So in the long run he was a great influence on me, even if during HS he worked against me reaching my potential.  In his 70s he is still working to develop local talent, I value the influence he had on me even if it was not always on target.

You should not feel a need to cushion your posting on some assumption of hierarchy based on post count or frequency.  Such a thing is absurd and frankly a personal pet peeve of mine.  If someone wants me to support what I say my posting frequency is the last thing I would fall upon.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I also do a summer training program where I reward the kids in August for meeting their training goals.  I require them to use the RunningAhead training log.  I encourage them to read the forums and I even give them a list of posters to whom they should "follow."  Spaniel, you have been first on that list for a few years.

Well I am humbled by this and I should probably watch myself a bit.  Smile

As indicated in my prior post, given the lack of affect in the written word I had no hostile intent.  I will admit I am a busy person and while I frequent here I don't put an awful lot of time behind what I type.  I'm a positive person so if I come across harsh it is probably not intended that way.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I wouldn't encourage my kids to "read Spaniel" if I thought you were a jerk.  And I'm not sharing my stipend with you either!    I also tell them to read manfromnantucket, so what the hell do I know.

Seriously, I want my kids to succeed.  I don't know everything and I coach in a time when I can supplement my coaching for free by directing them to good sources.  They're high school kids, so they're savvy.

As for coaches, you are right - good intentions are nice, but they don't equate to competence.  Competence doesn't equate to execution.  Enthusiasm and commitment are important, but a foundation in knowledge is fundamental.

I know many, many coaches who have more than just a basic knowledge of training distance runners.  As you know, there is a wrong way to do it.  I do know bad, but well-intended coaches.  I also know coaches who are clueless and don't care either.  Fortunately, where I am, they are uncommon and usually don't last long.

I have peers with advanced knowledge in bio-mechanics, training theory, and all the "science stuff."  I don't count myself among them, but they are so willing to share, I have learned so much from them.  And they ain't getting any of my stipend either!

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

joescott

I also tell them to read manfromnantucket, so what the hell do I know.

Well, now, that does work against your credibility!  Isn't he the idiot who runs 14-minute 5k's, you know, just casually in everyday running but has never raced 'cuz he just doesn't feel the need to prove anything.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Just a dude.

My 2 cents on high school coaching.

I had a pretty good one. He quit my sophomore year due to sickness. He died of cancer my junior year.

He was replaced by a very good coach. Under my second coach, every single distance school record went down, and he had 2 boys state XC championships in 5 years after 1 in like 30.

But, he wasn't a teacher. He was a business owner in the community. A teacher who used to run track decided he wanted to be the coach, and because of the rules, he got the job and they let the other guy go. The team went on a pretty significant downhill slide. Coaches here make roughly $500 a semester.

I definitely think different areas have a different class of average coach. When I was in high school, most schools had someone halfway decent. We did have a guy having kids run around with medicine balls and weights and stuff like that. But most of all, people were doing some kind of training that they probably picked up in a book or something like that.

I've seen in other areas where generally the average performer is much slower, and what little I've looked at coaching, it was far less competent. When I was in high school, we had the opportunity to travel some. I remember that people in California raced differently than people in Nevada. And the one time I ran an invite in Utah it was a whole different style of racing.

All I say is that you could both be right. Spaniel might be in a pocket of crappy coaching, where McSpartan85 is in a pocked of good coaching. Philosophies might be different. When I was in HS, we thought it was weird how robotically even the pacing was in Utah compared to what we were used to. When we went to Northern California, we were amazed at how fast everyone went out. Southern California seemed to have more sit and kickers. I think that the predominant strategy and quality is regional.

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

SkylineTrack

Did a 5 mile steady/tempo run on Monday at 6:20 pace and today I ran a 8x400 with 70 seconds standing rest. Ran the first two in 72 and 71 and then the rest were 70's. Last couple were pretty tough but I probably could have done 1-2 more at that pace but I would have been absolutely shot. The meet is in  2 days and the 32 is first and then I'll do the 8 and 16 after. So I'm thinking I'll start the 32 out at 10:20 and see how it goes.

Feeling the growl again

Did a 5 mile steady/tempo run on Monday at 6:20 pace and today I ran a 8x400 with 70 seconds standing rest. Ran the first two in 72 and 71 and then the rest were 70's. Last couple were pretty tough but I probably could have done 1-2 more at that pace but I would have been absolutely shot. The meet is in  2 days and the 32 is first and then I'll do the 8 and 16 after. So I'm thinking I'll start the 32 out at 10:20 and see how it goes.

You young guys and speed.  I could easily pop 5 miles @ 6:20 now....likely close to 6 flat....but race 10:20 for 3200 off that?  Never.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If I could go back and tell HS me one thing about running, it would be to run a lot more easy miles.

But if I could go back and tell old me two things, the second would be to race more patiently and not go out so fast, whether it was the mile, two-mile, or CC.  I started to understand this when I was a senior, and it really paid dividends, but I wish I figured it out earlier  -- finishing races with a 65-sec last 400m was a lot more fun than starting them that way and blowing up.  The races I ran really well and was proud of were patient efforts involving even or negative splits.  The other 80% of them were go-out-too-fast-and-die-disasters.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

+1

If I could go back and tell HS me one thing about running, it would be to run a lot more easy miles.

But if I could go back and tell old me two things, the second would be to race more patiently and not go out so fast, whether it was the mile, two-mile, or CC.  I started to understand this when I was a senior, and it really paid dividends, but I wish I figured it out earlier  -- finishing races with a 65-sec last 400m was a lot more fun than starting them that way and blowing up.  The races I ran really well and was proud of were patient efforts involving even or negative splits.  The other 80% of them were go-out-too-fast-and-die-disasters.

mikeymike

High school you wouldn't listen to some weird old dude.

Runners run

joescott

That is the problem.  Wisdom is wasted on us old farts and speed is wasted on the young.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Seems true on the surface, but I see many "old" HS coaches around my area, and the kids listen when the advice/message is to not run many easy miles, and starting every race way faster than necessary.

One of the local teams (Hersey) was highly ranked in the state and country all year. They were expected to compete for the IL state title in the 3A division (largest/most competitive).  However, they finished far lower than expected.  Their coach was quoted after the race in saying, "We started the race too fast ..."  I think he basically has the same team back next year so it will be interesting to see how he instructs his runners to race then.

HermosaBoy

I am in my first year as an official distance coach for a local high school team -- have enjoyed reading this...

I have heard that you can't win the race in the first quarter mile, but you can certainly lose it.  That is one thing I will be trying to drill into my team!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I am in my first year as an official distance coach for a local high school team -- have enjoyed reading this...

Great. Maybe you can share the kinds of workouts your runners are doing, and what works and what doesn't work?

good luck!!