New Desktop Computer, v.July2013 (Read 210 times)

imho, the i7 is overkill and not worth the buy-up, i'd stick with the i5-4670k (you dont need the "k" version and can save a few more bucks if you dont want to play with overclocking).   also, I really think more than 8GB ram is wasted if youre not doing media editing.  only other geek tip is DEFINITELY get a 120GB  (or more) solid state drive (SSD) for Windows, office, games and other key programs.  Its the biggest bang for buck speed improvement you'll get nowadays.

My thinking was to "buy ahead".  I plan to keep this one for a few years, and I'm hoping to delay the onset of the machine struggling to handle then-current applications.  My Dell was great when I got it, but Pentium 2, 1GB RAM, and a 95% full 80GB HDD only takes you so far. Surprised

Do you think the i7 and/or 16GB RAM will be overkill in five to eight years?

... only other geek tip is DEFINITELY get a 120GB  (or more) solid state drive (SSD) for Windows, office, games and other key programs.  Its the biggest bang for buck speed improvement you'll get nowadays.

10-4.  Working plan is a [Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD + WD Black 1TB HDD] setup.  I already have a 1TB external for backups.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I should mention:

My discretionary income will dip somewhat for the next ~3 years.  I'm also leaning toward getting the most computer possible now, since I probably won't be able to afford (the bigger) upgrades for a while.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Not dead. Yet.

I think 5 to 8 years is expecting way too much no matter what you get.  I usually consider 3 years the useful life of a computer.  Sure, they last longer, but usually by then the next version of the OS comes out and is written for newer machines.  You can keep a box going a lot longer, but as you mention, you'll start to notice it struggling with newer software, especially if you upgrade the OS.

You might be buying a 3 or 4 core machine now, and in 8 years they will probably have 12+ core desktop machines.  Or the busses will be four times as big, or whatever.  Buying up is a losing battle.  Buy what you need now.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

lagwagon

My thinking was to "buy ahead".  I plan to keep this one for a few years, and I'm hoping to delay the onset of the machine struggling to handle then-current applications.  My Dell was great when I got it, but Pentium 2, 1GB RAM, and a 95% full 80GB HDD only takes you so far. Surprised

I agree with the concept of buying ahead to some extent, but as sdizzaro suggests, anything bought today will seem obsolete in a few years.  my goal is always to buy in the "sweet spot" for price/performance.

i feel there isnt any functional difference between the i5 and i7 for you.  the big difference between the two is in multithreaded apps...in single thread apps (office, games, browsing) the difference is very minimal.  If you were doing a lot of video editing or CAD rendering or compiling using multithreaded apps, the i7 makes sense.  otherwise the $150 difference is better spent elsewhere.  (for example on a next gen CPU when they're dirt cheap in 2 yrs!)

a new motherboard (ie H87 or Z87 chipset) will easily accept 16MB, probably at least 32MB of ram. ram will get cheaper so just get what you need for now.

great setup for the SSD HDD, I have the same and its a big difference.

good luck!

Prince of Fatness

I think 5 to 8 years is expecting way too much no matter what you get.  I usually consider 3 years the useful life of a computer.  Sure, they last longer, but usually by then the next version of the OS comes out and is written for newer machines.  You can keep a box going a lot longer, but as you mention, you'll start to notice it struggling with newer software, especially if you upgrade the OS.

I get this but don't necessarily think that 5 - 8 years is unreasonable.  Much depends on if his needs will increase over time.  If they remain rather stagnant then buying up (to a reasonable level based on his needs) may not be a bad idea.

I work in a small office and we are finally are moving away from Windows XP, not because it doesn't do what our users need it to but because the OS is finally reaching end of life after 10+ years.

Not at it at all. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As others have said, the i7 may be overkill unless you run applications that require all of that multi-core, hyperthreading horsepower.  Considering what computer you were using, I'm gonna say that's a no.  But max out your RAM.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

+1 on build your own.  here's all you need to know.  the anand forums are excellent, and I used them to build my own system 5 yrs ago.  (yes, I'm also overdue for an upgrade, which is why I've been shopping).

good luck, i'll be curious to see what you get as i'll be upgrading this fall/winter.

I went the "buy components and build it myself" route, using pcpartpicker.com to keep track of things.  The system:

CPU = Intel Core i5-4670

CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Mobo = ASUS Z87-PLUS

RAM = Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 8GB (4GBx2)

SSD (CUndecided) = Samsung 840 120GB

HDD (DUndecided) = Western Digital Blue 1TB

Video = MSI GeForce GTX650 Ti BOOST 2GB

Optical = LG basic CD-ROM/DVD drive

Network Adapter = ASUS PCE-AC66 (*)

PSU = XFX Pro XXX 750W

Case = Corsair Graphite 600T

Router = ASUS RT-AC66U

(already had monitor, keyboard, mouse, and UPS)

After mail-in rebates, it ran about $1400 (although that also included a new router).

And it is SWEET.  Lightning fast, boots up in seconds.  The only downside is my Internet connection (see below), which must be wired for now.  That involved putting the new computer on a nightstand in the bedroom and moving the modem/router in there, too, to have a place where everything could live without water-splash threat and I could plug into the modem directly.

I might pick up a second monitor, and I'll more likely grab a cable modem (Motorola SB6141) in anticipation of the switch from DirecTV to Time Warner Cable.

(*) -- turns out the ASUS network adapter has an irreparable hardware conflict with the Z87 chipset (which ASUS has acknowledged).  I contacted ASUS Customer Service; they're shipping me a new-version PCE-AC68, then I'll ship back my PCE-AC66.

-- Dick LeBeau

kcam

For reference, what's with the weird-faced emoticons next to the SSD and HDD?

MTA: oops.

MrH

For reference, what's with the weird-faced emoticons next to the SSD and HDD?

: \ without the space between gets converted to Undecided

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

: \ without the space between gets converted to Undecided

Yes, this.

-- Dick LeBeau

Sweet, I may have gone without a optical drive though, unless you plan to watch DVD's on this.  Have plenty of older laptops in the house for that purpose.

Needed the optical to install Windows 7 Home Premium. Smile

(And re-install it after I couldn't diagnose the Windows-hanging-on-splash-screen problem.)

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

Bump.

OK so I have a Dell Dimension C521 with Windows XP Pro on it.  It does what I need to do, mainly run the VPN client that I have on it to remote my work computer.  We really do not do much at all with it.

Anyway support for XP goes away in a month or two so I needed an alternative.  I looked into it and decided to upgrade Windows 8.1 and while I was at it go to a SSD and add some RAM.  Everything seems to work OK except for one catch, which was an oversight on my part.  The video card is old and there were no drivers for it.  I installed older drivers and it seems to be working OK but I do not trust it.  It has acted up once or twice.

Upgrading the video card will be challenging from what I have read because the PC is a mini chassis, the card would need to be low profile and the power supply would be an issue as well.

So anyway, I am not a hardware geek but am plenty comfortable in putting something together and getting it to work.  Looking for some recommendations.  The goal is to get something usable including the purchases I have already made (except for the memory but that was cheap).

I have

Windows 8.1 license

Crucial M500 240GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD (PN CT240M500SSD1)

USB keyboard and mouse

Samsung wide screen flat panel monitor

Requirements

8GB RAM would suffice

Average processor

Video card for desktop use, no games or anything like that

Ethernet Controller

USB

DVD drive

Again, I will not be using this a bunch and much of the time it will be to remote into work so it does not need to be robust by any means.   I do not want to break the bank with this.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Not at it at all.