Hit the wall - pacing or training? (Read 177 times)

DigDug2

Hi all,

Raced the NJ marathon yesterday, hit the wall badly and want some feedback from experienced marathoners.  This was my first road marathon, although I've been running and racing seriously for a long time.  Based on PRs at shorter distances, my "A" goal was under 2:57, "B" goal was under 3:00.  I followed the Hansons advanced plan almost to a T, increasing the mileage by 10-15% (mostly on the easy days).  "Strength" workouts were at 6:35 pace, MP pace workouts were between 6:38 and 6:48.  Did a half as a training run 4 weeks out, not a race, and ran a comfortable 1:25.  Training went perfect, no injuries, illness, etc. - I felt prepared and confident.

Conditions were fine, course was fine, very well organized race.  Went out at 6:40s (2:55 pace), felt fine and was clicking off miles comfortably at that pace.  Thought to myself that I should be running 6:45-50s, but what's 5-10 seconds?  Half at 1:27:30, kept at 6:40s through 19, started to strain and ran a few 7:10 miles, then hit a wall - hamstrings cramped to the point that I couldn't even move and had to stretch out for a couple of minutes on a curb, managed to start running again, had to stop a couple more times but basically shuffled the last 4 miles (9:09 avg pace) to a 3:07 finish.

I knew I was going out too fast, but convinced myself that it was just a little too fast.  In hindsight, I should have just gone with the 3:00 pacer and picked it up at 20 if I was feeling good.  I don't think hydration or nutrition were issues - I drank regularly (water, only a little gatorade), ate energy gels at 00:45, 1:30 and 2:15.  Oh well, now I have to run another one.

My main question:  what does my performance say about my training?  Should I train the same for my next race and just run smarter?  Or does my poor pacing mean I can't tell anything about my training because I didn't give myself a chance to hit my goals?

Secondary question:  in a perfectly paced marathon, how are you supposed to feel at mile 13?  at mile 20?  Like you've been jogging? Comfortably tired, or not tired at all?

My main question:  what does my performance say about my training?  Should I train the same for my next race and just run smarter?  Or does my poor pacing mean I can't tell anything about my training because I didn't give myself a chance to hit my goals?

I think it says more about your pacing - your experience reads almost exactly like my "first" marathon (after a long break) - Baystate 2012. Solid training (Pfitz), nailed all paces in training, but went out just a bit too fast, and paid hard for it. Same end result as you - 3:07. Just that little bit of over-enthusiasm can matter a lot.

Secondary question:  in a perfectly paced marathon, how are you supposed to feel at mile 13?  at mile 20?  Like you've been jogging? Comfortably tired, or not tired at all?

That one I can't answer, as I've never done it, never experienced it. I will say the two I did after Baystate I ended up crashing just a little less (and subsequently improving the times a lot each time) by a bit more realistic pacing (and a lot more cumulative miles and marathong training cycles under my belt) - but I haven't (and may never) nail one.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

This sounds nearly identical to my first marathon, Bayshore in 2015 - followed the Hanson plan, all workouts went great, went out really comfortably in 1:26 (goal was sub 3) through the half and held that pace pretty comfortably through 20 miles.  Caught a piano at 22 and ran ~7:30s to stumble in at 2:59:52.   I do think we both went out a little fast since almost all great races are negative splits.  For me, I also found that the Hanson plan didn't have long enough long runs.  If memory serves it maxed at 16 miles and while that might be physiologically ok, it was a bit terrifying to not have experience with nutrition, energy management, or anything else for the last hour plus of the race.  I imagine your fitness was/is great, your training was done right, you went out a little fast and were potentially not acclimated to longer distances.   But I also suspect different training programs work better for some than others so it might be a matter of finding what works for you.

Hi all,

Raced the NJ marathon yesterday, hit the wall badly and want some feedback from experienced marathoners.  This was my first road marathon, although I've been running and racing seriously for a long time.  Based on PRs at shorter distances, my "A" goal was under 2:57, "B" goal was under 3:00.  I followed the Hansons advanced plan almost to a T, increasing the mileage by 10-15% (mostly on the easy days).  "Strength" workouts were at 6:35 pace, MP pace workouts were between 6:38 and 6:48.  Did a half as a training run 4 weeks out, not a race, and ran a comfortable 1:25.  Training went perfect, no injuries, illness, etc. - I felt prepared and confident.

Conditions were fine, course was fine, very well organized race.  Went out at 6:40s (2:55 pace), felt fine and was clicking off miles comfortably at that pace.  Thought to myself that I should be running 6:45-50s, but what's 5-10 seconds?  Half at 1:27:30, kept at 6:40s through 19, started to strain and ran a few 7:10 miles, then hit a wall - hamstrings cramped to the point that I couldn't even move and had to stretch out for a couple of minutes on a curb, managed to start running again, had to stop a couple more times but basically shuffled the last 4 miles (9:09 avg pace) to a 3:07 finish.

I knew I was going out too fast, but convinced myself that it was just a little too fast.  In hindsight, I should have just gone with the 3:00 pacer and picked it up at 20 if I was feeling good.  I don't think hydration or nutrition were issues - I drank regularly (water, only a little gatorade), ate energy gels at 00:45, 1:30 and 2:15.  Oh well, now I have to run another one.

DigDug2

Yes, the margin for pacing error seems fairly slim at this distance.  Disappointing when the training went well, and when you can't just turn around the next week and race another one.

Just that little bit of over-enthusiasm can matter a lot.

DoppleBock

Here are some thoughts to go through ... Since you are an experiment of one and you get to be the mad scientist that does the experimenting ... take it or leave it.

Hitting the wall has nothing to do with cramps - So I am not sure if you hit the wall

Hitting the wall is when you become glycogen depleted to the point that your body cuts off 100% of Glycogen to your muscles.  This is a defence mechanism, because your muscles can survive without Glycogen, but your brain cannot.  Glycogen is the only fuel your brain can use.

They call it the wall because instantaneously you will go from 6:40 pace to much slower.  To burn fat as fuel your muscles need significantly more oxygen.  (I have read some recent articles that have challenged the above long held belief)

When one becomes dehydrated and loses even 5% of body mass it can have a 10% plus impact on performance.  Dehydration would be a slower more gradual impact on performance as your blood thickens and your heart has to work harder to transport oxygen.  It would also result in cramping etc.

Normally 60-80% of people that say they hit the wall actually either paced too fast and accumulated too much lactic acid or became dehydrated ... or both.

My marathon experiences have been - If I am pacing at optimal pace, the race becomes really hard at 18-21 miles and it takes absolute focus and effort to maintain that pace the last 10k.  Often  the last 10k experience included heart rate at or near max, very light headed to the point of tunnel vision and wanting to slow down every step.  My mottos were "if you can take 10 more steps at this pace you can do 100 and 1000 and whatever it takes to not slow down" and "You can slow down when when you pass out"

In you situation it is possible that 

1)  You went out too fast

2)  You became dehydrated

3)  You might have become glycogen depleted (The faster you go the higher % glycogen versus fat is used per mile)

4)  Your cramping could be hydration, electrolyte of muscle fatigue ???

5)  You can't tough your way through cramping ... But very few people realize what they can force their body to do (Will has to be strong when the body is weak)

My advice

*  Pacing is critical - Do not get greedy until mile 20 (5-10 seconds is enough to blow you up)

*  Review your fueling, hydration and electrolyte strategy (Although I usually do not worry about electrolytes unless really warn)

*  If you can get to miles 20 on pace next time ... decide how much pain you want to endure.  It is amazing what you can force your body to do

*  I am not familiar with Hansons ... but I would try and  fit in a 12 & 15 miles at Marathon pace at the end of a 20 - 22 miler.

*  Shake off this race - Getting a marathon perfect is really hard and I have never finished a marathon not thinking I could not have dome something slightly different and got at least 1 minute better time.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Yes, the margin for pacing error seems fairly slim at this distance.  Disappointing when the training went well, and when you can't just turn around the next week and race another one.

Yes to all this. Going out just 5-10 sec/mile too fast can really come back to haunt you later. Setting the right goal pace (for your fitness level as well as course and weather conditions) is the hardest thing about marathoning.

I'm not qualified to diagnose the specifics of your training, although plenty of people here can help with that. But I think in general, especially if you do not have marathon experience, the result of a marathon is not just a function of your training cycle for the last 3-4 months, but a function of your accumulated training over the last year or two or three. I would predict if you repeat the exact same training and race again in the fall, you would do better. (Sometimes you actually can do the same thing and expect different results.)

As far as how to feel at 13 & 20 - of course everyone's different. For me, 13 always feels great and is no indication of how things will turn out. If feels like the early part of a tempo run when you know you're going pretty fast, but you're totally under control. At 20, when things are going well, it feels like late in a tough workout, where you have to concentrate and work pretty hard to hang on, but you feel fairly confident you can do it. Of course when things are not going well, 20 can feel like grim death.

Dave

Joann Y

I had a pretty well paced race last fall. 13 felt comfortably hard and I wasn't sure I could hang on. Soon after mile 20 it felt like the middle of a 10k.

mikeymike

I've run a dead even paced marathon. Its still my PR. At 13 I felt pretty comfortable with just a bit of fatigue in my legs. At 20 the pain shroud was starting to cover my whole body. At 23 I was fighting to maintain form and it was all guts from there in.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

a 3:07 finish.

And really, this isn't bad for your first marathon. Running a marathon is the only way to get marathon experience.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Not sure what kind of mileage Hanson has you running for that plan, but your description makes it sound like the problem is pacing. I've run sub-3:00 without ever going over 16 on a training run. I've also blown up going out too fast and been reduced to a shuffle or even a walk. I'd lean more toward muscle fatigue as the cause of cramping. I've never understood how dehydration or electrolyte imbalance would cause cramping in only the legs and not systemically. I don't give a lot of credence to GMP workouts, especially as a race pace predictor,  as I never know until race day what I'm really capable of. I may have hopes that I'm ready to run a certain time, but it's the first few miles that will tell me what I should expect for a finish time.

Generally at 13 miles I should still feel good enough to high five spectators, though I'm usually focusing on the race so I don't. At 18-20 miles it gets serious and I need to pay attention to everything about the race. Somewhere around 22-23 all I can think of is when will this be over.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've never understood how dehydration or electrolyte imbalance would cause cramping in only the legs and not systemically.

I have had post-marathon cramps in the most peculiar places; muscles I didn't know I had, and not ones I'd expect to be particularly taxed by running.

Somewhere around 22-23 all I can think of is when will this be over.

This says it all.

DigDug2

Appreciate everyone's input and personal experiences.  I beefed up the Hansons plan and got up to a 19 mi long run at my 70 mi peak, and was coming off a decent base (45-50 mpw throughout 2016), but looking back I only had 3 runs over 2 hours.  Will take some time to think about it, pick a fall marathon, and probably stick with the same training but add some more MP at the finish of long runs.  And really not start out too fast next time.

Feeling the growl again

Appreciate everyone's input and personal experiences.  I beefed up the Hansons plan and got up to a 19 mi long run at my 70 mi peak, and was coming off a decent base (45-50 mpw throughout 2016), but looking back I only had 3 runs over 2 hours.  Will take some time to think about it, pick a fall marathon, and probably stick with the same training but add some more MP at the finish of long runs.  And really not start out too fast next time.

Overall this sounds like pretty decent training.

The plain truth is you played the classic rookie mistake and went out too fast and fooled yourself into thinking it was okay because it felt so easy.  Nothing to be ashamed about, we've all done it.  I went out 10 miles at 2:40 pace in my first marathon and finished in 2:53, literally 50 yards from losing all vision and passing out from lack of glucose.

In a well-paced marathon 13 miles will feel like you're just starting to feel the effort and wonder if you can double back in that.  20 miles is going to feel brutal, like that last 6 miles will be eternity yet you are still holding pace.  The last three miles are a real mental game to force the effort to continue or even speed up.

My best paced marathon was a 2:29.  I did go out a bit fast over the first 6 as I got caught out of position in the queue at the start and was rushing to get up to position.  I caught myself and slowed down, and ran really well until 23 when the mere 30 seconds I went out fast in the first 6 came back to bite me.  There was a guy I'd meant to run the whole race with, I caught him at 6 miles and that's when I slowed down.  I ran with him until 23 when he was able to pull away...he's paced it perfect.  His chip time beat me by 1 second due to the 30 seconds I had to make up to reach the starting line.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Cyberic

I am a far slower runner than you, but I don't think the Hansons advanced program is the problem. Like you I followed the plan pretty much to a T for my first marathon, but beefed up the long runs. My longest was approx 19 like yours.

I went for a sub 3:15. Ran the first half in 1:37:04, and finished in 3:14:47, a 39 second positive split.

Felt fine at the half point, at 16 I was feeling the effort and starting to concentrate. At 20 I was pretty confident and sped up slightly to go for sub 3:14. After 23 I was in pain and I worked damn hard, and I mean REAL hard to not blow up and secure a sub 3:15. Maybe I could have hit an even split if not for being greedy at mile 20. I'll never know.

My BQ time was 3:25.

Of course, maybe the Hansons plan isn't right for you, but like the others I'd lean towards optimistic pacing.

Dream Maker

I am and even at my fastest was a lot slower than you, but 10 seconds a mile is a lot in a marathon at the edge of your ability.    When well trained, usually the time my half race pace and marathon race pace is only 20 seconds per mile different.