Flu shots (Read 1073 times)

HOSS1961

On another related note...do you think that if this lives up to predictions of a massive outbreak that large social events such as football games, basketball games, racing events (motor and non-motor), etc.  could be cancelled?
    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

On another related note...do you think that if this lives up to predictions of a massive outbreak that large social events such as football games, basketball games, racing events (motor and non-motor), etc.  could be cancelled?

As I said before, I think that nearly everybody will get H1N1.  Football games, etc, are a reasonable place to pick it up.  But I doubt anything will get cancelled anytime soon.

GST

Do you get both vaccines at once or do you need to get them separated?

And can I assume my mom friends that are screaming doom and gloom about toddlers getting the vaccine are the same ones that tried to tell me not to get ANY vaccines or is there special concern about the flu vaccine?

Get Lost :)

Do you get both vaccines at once or do you need to get them separated?

And can I assume my mom friends that are screaming doom and gloom about toddlers getting the vaccine are the same ones that tried to tell me not to get ANY vaccines or is there special concern about the flu vaccine?

They are two separate vaccinations. The realistic concerns, including serious ones, are also listed on that CDC page.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And can I assume my mom friends that are screaming doom and gloom about toddlers getting the vaccine are the same ones that tried to tell me not to get ANY vaccines

Correct.

Influenza kills.  The vaccine will outright prevent influenza in some cases, will limit its severity in most cases, and will reduce the spread to friends and family members in nearly all cases.  Most of the doom and gloom  scenarios (e.g., autism) have been refuted by study upon study upon study.

Imminent Catastrophe

Grrrrrr....

To put it bluntly, your mom's friends are idiots, and a public health menace. Here's an example where that can lead from Australia. And  Britain. And here in the USA. This nonsense is not only a threat to children of those idiots, it's a threat to everyone. 

Don't get acting lessons from your doctor. Don't get medical advice from celebrities.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Grrrrrr....

To put it bluntly, your mom's friends are idiots, and a public health menace. Here's an example where that can lead from Australia. And  Britain. And here in the USA. This nonsense is not only a threat to children of those idiots, it's a threat to everyone. 

Don't get acting lessons from your doctor. Don't get medical advice from celebrities.

+1!!!!   Very well said.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Correct.

Influenza kills.  The vaccine will outright prevent influenza in some cases, will limit its severity in most cases, and will reduce the spread to friends and family members in nearly all cases.  Most of the doom and gloom  scenarios (e.g., autism) have been refuted by study upon study upon study.

My sister has an autistic child and has said that even if there were a connection to vaccinations and autism, she still would have had her son vaccinated, no question.  Autism isn't deadly, but many of the things childhood vaccinations protect against are.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

chrimbler

I think the whole H1N1 is just being blown out of proportion. I talked to my folks in England today and they said their outbreak is already on the wind down, didn't even last that long.
                    Run like you stole it!
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think the whole H1N1 is just being blown out of proportion. I talked to my folks in England today and they said their outbreak is already on the wind down, didn't even last that long.

How do your folks know that England is not going to get another wave later in the season?

If H1N1 is even 1/10 as deadly as standard influenza (it is probably not that low) and it strikes even just half the population (it may strike more folks; the US population according to the 2008 census data is 304,059,724) then 150 000 Americans will die this season.  Give or take.  Hard to blow that out of proportion.  I do not mean to scare, but rather to remind that we should not simply be blase about the risks.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/ops/hsc-scen-3_flu-pandemic-deaths.htm

Vaccinate,  keep in touch with your doc, wash your hands, stay at home when you are sick, cough/sneeze into your arm.  Most of us will be okay.  However, it is very possible that this will get bad.

chrimbler

They don't know, but the fact is the numbers (36,000 deaths annualy) thrown around by the CDC are not accurate, most of those deaths were due to things like pnuemonia, here's one report (there are many others)

http://drtenpenny.com/annual_flu_deaths.aspx

All I'm saying is that lets not blow things out of proportion, get all the facts first. I'm not even going to get into some of the ingredients in the flu vaccine, but why not take natural immune boosters instead throughout the year? This is what I do and have not had the flu for over 20 years, and I work in health care.

I realise Trent is a Dr. and it's his 'job' to push the flu vaccines, but there are alternatives that do work extremely well....I apologise to Trent and any other Dr. for using the term 'push'...it was used to make my point more dramatic ....did it work??....

Run like you stole it!
                        xor

Yes, it "worked".

Perhaps not in the way you intended.  But it "worked".

mikeymike

Serious question:  Is the flu shot comet topic our biggest non-running comet?

I'm not sure.  It must be top 5.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

chrimbler, that is really just semantics. Flu does not kill.  Flu causes people to get sick with other diseases.  Like pneumonia. Actually, the pneumonia also does not kill if you want to get technical. It is the cardiac failure that accompanies severe pneumonia and hypoxemia that kills. To the dead person, it really does not matter. Flu is what started the ball rolling. 36 000 people who get influenza end up dead as a result of a complication from that disease. Had they not gotten influenza, they would not have gotten the complication and would not have died.

FWIW, nobody dies of cancer either.  Or of car accidents and gunshots.  They all die from cardiac arrest.  Sure, cancer and gunshots and influenza contribute to the heart stopping.  But they are not the cause.  You know, if you want to get all semantically technical and all.

It is not my job to push vaccines.  Or drugs.  In fact, I happen to be one of the most hands-off docs I know.  It is my job to "To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always". Vaccination does not really fit into that truism. But vaccination is a proven method for reducing the likelihood that individuals and members of populations will get disease. Just because hand washing also helps does not mean we should stop there.

chrimbler

Just because hand washing also helps does not mean we should stop there.

I'm not saying stop there either. Like I said there dozens of natural ways to boost your immune system, I thought you of all people would tout this, you are the one who champions fresh foods etc.

Vaccines help...yes, but  they are not the be all and end all. I also worry about the long term effects...Thalidamide and Vioxx were meant to make our lives better too!

Don't mind me I just hate taking meds

Run like you stole it!