Talk about htfu (Read 694 times)

My legs are killing me

Here is one guy who gives meaning to htfu. In Belgium, he was bayoneted eight times and had to kill the German soldier with a rock. It has been often mentioned that he often downplayed his service in the war rather mentioning the soldiers that never came back. A true hero. Actor Charles Durning landed on Normandy's Omaha Beach as a 17-year-old Army Ranger in June 1944. Before leaving Europe, he was wounded three times and awarded three Purple Hearts and a Silver Star. He will receive France's highest honor, the National Order of the Legion of Honor, in a ceremony tonight at the French government's residence in Beverly Hills. From the official release: In late June 1944, Charles was seriously wounded by a mine at Les Mare des Mares, France and spent almost 6 months recovering. When the German Ardennes offensive broke out in December 1944, he was rushed to the front lines and suffered severe bayonet wounds in hand to hand combat. On December 16th his unit was overrun and captured in Belgium by an SS Panzer Unit that was taking no prisoners. PFC Durning was one of only a few soldiers to escape and survive the subsequent notorious Malmedy massacre. With the 398th Infantry Regiment he moved into Germany where he was again seriously wounded in March 1945 and evacuated to the United States where he was discharged in January 1946

The Greatest of All Time

WOW! I would love to shake that man's hand. That's a Ranger story if I ever heard one. Hoo-Ah. MTA: But I am sort of biased.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

My legs are killing me

Gotta love those Rangers! Here was a guy that probably could have went back home after any of his injuries and he decided to go back to his buddys. Real courage and character.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Amazing story. A talented, underrated actor, and most definitely a hero.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

Gotta love those Rangers! Here was a guy that probably could have went back home after any of his injuries and he decided to go back to his buddys. Real courage and character.
            Yeah but you and I both know there is no greater shame in the military than letting your unit down.The mere thought of that to me in incomprehensible.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

My legs are killing me

Your right, you fight for your buddies.
              JakeKnight

Hoo-$%@ing-rah. Too bad you didn't post this in the swamp so I could more eloquently express myself.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

C-R

That's just Old School tough! A true American hero I'll have to share this with my old man who was a pathfinder.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Imminent Catastrophe

OMG, I always liked his characters, I had no idea about the real-life story. Wow.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Wow! It's great hearing stories like that. It's refreshing to hear. It seems oh so rare now a days... Definately a Hero.

~Mike