Ultracentric 6 Hour Event - or Bonkin's First Ultra (Read 853 times)

btb1490

Mike, you did it!!!!!!!!! All the planning, all the training, all the sacrifices... it all came together for you! It's amazing how far you've come in a relatively short amount of time, what an inspiration you are! And you did this on a hot day no less, which makes it even more amazing! I can't imagine what another year of running will bring for you, I think you've only begun to scratch the surface of your potential! Enjoy some downtime now, just in time for the holidays! Smile Thanks for the report, and again.... CONGRATS!
      What a report! 8th place is terrific!! Yes Congratulations again! So now will you rest?

Michelle

Way to go MIke. I have a 1.7 mile loop I run sometimes- I get dizzy just doing 20 miles on it- and you did 32+!!!! Incredible.
        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
          Thanks, Stephen, Michelle, and Alan! Michelle - yes I'm going to rest up for the next two weeks before I start training for my next marathon. Wink

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Mike, you did it!!!!!!!!!
            Bob, Thanks - I hope another year of running does some things related to making me faster Wink You and Pam have been instrumental in pushing me along in the right directions over the last 3-4 months and I thank you both so much for that! Now it is time to rest and recover a bit - before I take some more lessons from Pam and hit the weights a little bit this time.

Dude, major congrats on doing a 50km + 1 mile on a warm Saturday! You look to be picking up the enthusiasm of these other ultra folks. l think that's awesome. I hope your wife gave you a good deep tissue massage when you got home. I did a 10 mile run on Saturday without water and had rock salt lips afterwards. I couldn't imagine doing 50km! I'll see you and the other RA'ers at the Whiterock Half unless it's below your standard distance now. Tongue

Vim

Burninated Peasant

Nice run, Mike! Especially impressive that you were able to go that far with the heat the way that it was. I don't recall much in the way of shade at that park - I'm pretty sure I would have been laying down begging for water well before 50k. I was a little frustrated that we didn't make it out to take a look. Didn't fit with the kids' nap schedule.
                  Dude, major congrats on doing a 50km + 1 mile on a warm Saturday! You look to be picking up the enthusiasm of these other ultra folks. l think that's awesome. I hope your wife gave you a good deep tissue massage when you got home. I did a 10 mile run on Saturday without water and had rock salt lips afterwards. I couldn't imagine doing 50km! I'll see you and the other RA'ers at the Whiterock Half unless it's below your standard distance now. Tongue
                  Thanks, Modal. Massage - ha - I should be so lucky. I did get some sympathy out of my son - who graciously rolled my legs with The Stick. He thinks its funny that it hurts. Roll eyes Good job on the 10 miler - bring water next time. The half is definitely going to be fun and certainly not below my standard distance. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else there. Today I will find out if 2 miles is ABOVE my standard distance. Tight lipped

Nice run, Mike! Especially impressive that you were able to go that far with the heat the way that it was. I don't recall much in the way of shade at that park - I'm pretty sure I would have been laying down begging for water well before 50k. I was a little frustrated that we didn't make it out to take a look. Didn't fit with the kids' nap schedule.
                    Thanks, Michael! It was warm - but the water bottle helps a lot. I probably drank 20oz per loop for the first 3 hours. And no - no shade in the park - until dark Big grin Totally understand on the kids nap schedules - I'm past that now - but remember those times well with our two. See you at White Rock as well!

Prophet!

nice job Mike. Marathons will be a walk in the park for you now Smile
                      GP160

I just looked at the race results...do these people sleep??
                        Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                          nice job Mike. Marathons will be a walk in the park for you now Smile
                          Thanks, Steve! I don't think so - I'm hoping the next one or two are runs (and no walking) through the streets! Big grin

I just looked at the race results...do these people sleep??
                            Some of the 48 hour people took short naps in tents that they (or their crew) had set up alongside the course. I don't think all of them slept, though. Some of the 48 hour runners looked they were running and sleeping at the same time - if you can imagine what that looks like. The winner of the 48 hour event had at least two trips to the massage tent for quadricep problems - I don't think he slept though.

Me and my gang in Breck

Mike, Nice job! Good report. I don't think I'm ready for one of those yet Undecided

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Into the wild

Great effort. The trails await you Smile Good luck.

Shut up and run