1/2 marathon on may3...don't know if I'll make it (Read 1087 times)

manix

I'm a 33 year old runner. I have been running since the beginning of January. My weekly milage has been about 15-20 mpw for a few weeks now. My longest runs have been 6 miles and I have run 3 of those. I only got in 2 runs last week, a 6 mile and a 3 mile then had to take a few days off due to knee pain. This week I have run 3, 4 and 2 miles in the last 3 days. I'm supposed to run an 8 mile run this saturday but I am very nervous about it as the last few runs have seemed very hard. I have already signed up for the half and don't want to have to back out, but it seems like I'm not getting in enough miles with only a month to go. I have run 3 full marathons in the past and I have run several 1/2's but I had to take a few years off due to injuries and an illness. I know I should have decided on a later half marathon but this race is very important to me for emotional reasons. I just don't want to set myself up for a major injury. Thanks for your opinions on this issue: Manix
      Don't know what advice you are looking at this point, but if you can run a 8 miler and a 10 miler over the next 3 weeks, You can sure complete the half. Take some walk breaks during the long run if that gets you through the run. You'll get similar walk breaks at the water stops during the race. If your knee is hurting, no shame in skipping the half, live to run another day. I think it takes more courage to not run than to run through the pain. Check if that half has an option to switch to a shorter distance.
      manix

I guess the advice I was looking for is if you guys think I have a chance of making it to the finish. I think instead of running 3 days in row, I will try running 2 days then taking a day off, running one more then a day off and then run my long run. Since I'm still building my base back up I probably just need more rest. It is just frustrating because I know where I was before I got sick, but two years off wiped out all of fitness and I know I need to start at the very begining. I am just getting nervous because I don't feel like I am where i need to be at this point.
          While the long run is important, your total weekly mileage and your total mileage over the previous 4-5 months is more important to finish a long distance race like a Half marathon. Like I said you can definitely finish the half if your knee is not hurting too bad, and if you can get atleast a couple of 8 mile runs and maybe a 9-10 mile run before April 25 ( atleast a week from your race), you'll be fine race day. Longer term once 3-4 miles a day almost every day becomes a habit, 6-8 mile weekend runs become easy, and a build up to 10-12 mile long run in prep for a race would be a piece of cake. While I am still slow by the standards on this forum, I finally improved my times from 10+ min/miles, to about 9:00/mile by running more days, i.e. went from running 3-4 days/week to 5-6 days/week. This took my weekly mileage from 15-20 MPW to about 30 MPW. In my case I'd need my weekly miles to be atleast twice the race distance ( 3 times would be preferable) to comfortably finish a race, I think this would apply to most race distances from a 10 K to a marathon. Obviously more would be preferable.

Just Happy to Run

I posted this to a similar question: I had never ran more than 10k (6.2 miles) and 2 months before my first half I had to turn down my weekly mileage due to some knee pain. The knee pain went away, I got some more miles in the week, never a long run though, and I went ahead with the half. I had the time of my life!!! I had no major issues running the race and posted a better time than I was dreaming! I say GO FOR IT! (You can see my progress on my log leading up to the half. The half was on march 15th.)
            Jason

2010 Goals
            • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
            amspeidel

Just take it slow on race day and the crowds will pull you through! Training-wize, try to get in a 10-miler 2 weeks before the event, then taper off on your training to let your body recover...go for it!
                A few years ago I started running with a 34 year old guy who wanted to run a half-marathon. He couldn't finish a 3 mile at a very slow pace, but each week we added a mile to the long run, walked a little if needed, and kept slowly adding miles the other days. In under 3 months, he was able to finish the half ... so I don't think you'll have any problem If your knees are bugging you, is there anywhere nearby with a software surface to run on? Maybe a flat/smooth trail? Also watch how much you're pounding ... some new runners seem to think it's good for their heals to take all the landing force but this puts a lot of stress on your knees. I concur that if you run an 8 and a 10 you should be fine for the half.
                  Knee pain is most often made worse by overtraining. Make sure to get plenty of rest between your runs and not over-do things. You have about a month left at this point, which means two or so good weeks left to build mileage. I recommend doing your longest training run about 14 days before the race. If you can do almost a half marathon on that long run, then you should be good two weeks later to run the actual race. Or what amspiedel said!

SMART Approach

I personally wouldn't recommend it. You are rushing to get your training in and the race is 4 weeks away and you have done a few 6 miles run and are hurting. How much running did you do in 2008? You would need to run 8 mile long runs the next 3 weeks to have a chance. And then I would only run the race at training pace and walk if necessary. It takes a long time to build a base especially if you have been off a while - many months or years. To rush into a half marathon is asking for trouble - you can't rush your body getting ready for "the pounding" of a very long strenous race (half). Why risk further injury - you simply are not built up enough. You could do a 10K no problem. I just hate for you to have a set back with summer coming. Listen to your body the next couple weeks and reevaluate but you certainly won't have a good time and potentially a miserable event with your lack of conditioning and potential injury risk.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks for your opinions on this issue:
                      You can complete a 1/2 but your definitely not trained enough to run the whole thing.....If I were you I would plan on going the distance but use a derivative of Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk/Run technique http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html This will go a long way to helping you extend your distance by programming walks (lots of them)....so you can do something like run 4 mins and then walk 1 -- over and over and when you run -- run slowly......You won't have a killer time, but you will finish.... Also - you may want to consider buying a gymboss timer ($20) (www.gymboss.com). This is a dual time that will beep and vibrate at you so that you dont have to try to keep it straight while looking at a watch while running. I bought one and used it for my long runs -- running 5 mins and walking 1 or running 10 and walking one...or whatever makes sense.... This system really works if you follow it and you will save enough energy to accomplish the distance.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

manix

Ok...I'm feeling a lot better about finishing the half now. I did an 8 mile run this morning before work and I felt great. No pain in my knees and not too tired. My legs are still tired now but not any more so than I would expect. I finished the run in 1:10:00 with no walk breaks. I feel a lot more confident now. Thanks for all of your replies they helped keep me going.
                        manix

Well, I'm not feeling as confident now. I just finished my last 10 mile long run before the half and it was horrible. I had to walk quite a few times and my time was awfull. I'm not really worried about time but it seems like over the last few weeks my long runs have gotten harder and harder. My easy runs during the week still seem very easy, but my long runs keep getting harder. Today during my run the temps were in the 80's and I'm not used to that yet, so that may be why today's run was so bad. Could some of you guys look over my log and let know what you think my chances are of finishing the half? My whole log isn't there because I just moved it over to this site in the middle of March, but you can get an idea of what I have been doing. With one week to go I'm starting to panic.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Heat & sun can really wipe some people out, especially when not used to it. That's just fairly normal, I think.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

beat

Break on through

Well, I'm not feeling as confident now. I just finished my last 10 mile long run before the half and it was horrible. I had to walk quite a few times and my time was awfull. I'm not really worried about time but it seems like over the last few weeks my long runs have gotten harder and harder. My easy runs during the week still seem very easy, but my long runs keep getting harder. Today during my run the temps were in the 80's and I'm not used to that yet, so that may be why today's run was so bad. Could some of you guys look over my log and let know what you think my chances are of finishing the half? My whole log isn't there because I just moved it over to this site in the middle of March, but you can get an idea of what I have been doing. With one week to go I'm starting to panic.
                              Your long runs have been counting for almost half of your weekly mileage. That's a lot to be putting into your long run, so that can also contribute to feeling beat up on the long runs. You can still finish the half. During the race, run much slower than you think you need to, and walk early and often - before you think you need to.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Beginner all over again

consider buying a gymboss timer ($20) (www.gymboss.com)........
                                I second the recommendation for the Gymboss. I use mine every time Wink