The what I ate today thread (Read 1513 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Breakfast: Raisin Bran with 1% milk, small serving (200 kcal) One medium banana (60 kcal) Lunch: Salmon burger, fries (~500 kcal) Coke with ice (150 kcal) Small milkshake (150 kcal) Work all day up on my feet Run 5 miles Dinner: Accelerade (100 kcal) Veggie whole wheat lasagna (~250 kcal) Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter milkshake (~600 kcal) Total: 2000 kcal consumed 5 miles run
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Breakfast: fried egg on buttered toast (Brownberry Carb Counting Multi-grain) large coffee with half-n-half and Splenda Lunch: .5 C. Large Curd cottage cheese--4% milkfat .5 C. cooked sweet cherries, drained. 1tbsp. PB on slice low-carb, whole grain toast. Cherry Coke Zero - 1 can Snack: Honey Bunches of Oats snack bar Quaker Oatmeal - Lower Sugar Apples & Cinnamon diluted low-sugar applejuice cocktail Dinner: Pork loin, roasted 1C. cooked green beans from frozen, 1 pat butter. Salad: 2 C. baby romaine 2TB. shredded parm. cheese 1TB. caesar dressing. Water all day. 1427 calories. Ran 12.68 miles yesterday and will run ~6.5 tomorrow.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Breakfast: english muffin w/1 egg, cheese, and canadian bacon 1 cup coffee with skim milk & sugar Pre-run: Sharkies Fruit and nut bar Run: 10 miles During/Post-run: 1 Accel gel 3 Shot Bloks Osaka Mix rice crackers Lunch: Veggie Armenian Casserole with yoghurt French Bread Spinach & Artichoke dip Dinner: Black bean and cheese quesadilla 2 glasses Cabernet Chunky chocolate brownie Probably around 2100 calories. Very hungry after the run!
        deb
          I see a lot of people eating 1500-2000Kcal and running 10milers, isn't that a starvation diet?? !??
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I see a lot of people eating 1500-2000Kcal and running 10milers, isn't that a starvation diet?? !??
            If a person ate that amount every day, perhaps, but my calories average ~1650/day most weeks (some days as low as 1300 or so, other days over 2k). If I eat much more than that I don't lose weight--as it is I'm lucky to lose a single pound in any given week, but I'm not willing to drop my calories any further, since I don't like feeling like crap all the time. I've got about 14#s to drop to be where I want to be.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's an excellent point. I don't know about other runners, but I get high mileage induced anorexia from long runs and high mileage weeks. I eat fine 30-65 mpw, but when I hit 70mpw, and especially 80-85+mpw, I lose all desire to eat. The same thing happens to a lesser degree with long runs. I did 20, the day before yesterday, took in about 2100 kcals, did 10 yesterday, took in 1700kcals.I simply wasn't hungry. But, shorter runs and faster workouts stimulate my appetite, so over the course of a week, the calories will balance themselves out. It gets trickier when I hit 80+ mpw, and this year I'll be going up to 100mpw for a couple of weeks. Then I have to consciously swap out calorie free liquids for calorie liquids, force myself to eat denser foods, etc. I generally aim for at least 2000kcals daily if I'm not running, and up to 3000 if I am, but some days it just doesn't work. It isn't a problem unless I start feeling sapped for strength, and I'll usually make up for negative days by having a few surplus days. Today,I'll probably be eating all day. But, you're right, lesser calories every day makes it very difficult to run efficiently and improve. Plus, obviously, you have to be very conscious of your vitamin supplements, ect. It's a balancing act. Great point.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Breakfast: Raisin Bran with 1% milk, small serving (200 kcal) One medium banana (60 kcal) Lunch: Egg white, lox omlet (~350 kcal) Two slices pumpernickle toast with jelly (~300 kcal) Small hash browns (~150) Snack: Dark chocolate (~50 kcal) Dinner: Home made eggplant, sweet potato and tofu stir fry (~350 kcal) White jasmine rice (~250 kcal) No running today, recovery Total: 1700 kcal consumed
                  Let's see a sesame bagel toasted with calcium enriched country crock and brown sugar 500kcals some baba ghanoush pita bread airhead candy 300cals? organic peanut butter and organic strawberry spread on whole wheat bread 400kcals Cheeseburger happy meal 600kcals? total 1800 kcals, run 8 miles whoops.oh well.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Breakfast: 2 nutrigrain eggos, plain (apx 200 cal) 2 small sausage biscuits (size of White Castle burgers) (290 cal for the two) Elliptical trainer: 30 min, apx 350 cal Early lunch: lowfat light yogurt (apx 100 cal) 20 oz gatorade (130 cal) Late lunch: pre-packaged shelf lo-mein noodles (apx 600 cal to a bowl) (did I mention I like Chinese food?) Dinner: package of frozen brussel sprouts with butter sauce (apx 210 cal) can of "soup to go" cream of broccoli soup (?200 cal - forgot to look) modified to add: evening snack: "haystacks" - guessing at 150 cal of pure sugar and carbs.

Roads were made for journeys...

Hmmmmm since I've been on a mini vacation I've eaten so much crap. Just yesterday I ate a whole huge plate of nacho's (cheese, chicken, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and jalapeno's) Flew home today still eating like crap. Cup of coffee Venti French Vanilla Nonfat Latte turkey sandwich, carrots and m&m's (gotta love airline food)Wink Odwalla Super Protein Chocolate Soymilk Drink spinach artichoke veggie bites Turkey burger minus the bun and salad (romaine lettuce, snow peas, tomato's and shredded cheese) Sweet potato and protein drink Probably the best day of eating since last Thursday

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey, Question for Trent. How many calories are consumed daily to maintain "life", let's say in a 155lb non-active male/female? And other variables?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Been looking through some of these and noticed that a few people only eat egg whites and not the egg yolk. What's wrong with egg yolks? I wasn't aware they were particularly unhealthy. I just finished a rather impressive 1700kcal evening meal comprising of: Pasta Shells 250g - approx 850kcal Pasta Sauce 3/4 jar - approx 250 kcal Cheese (the bad kind) - approx 600kcal. Now, what to have for dessert? Gonna have 3 pints of Guinness tonight too I think down the pub, so I checked those out and they're about 210kcals each. Had a fairly busy week running though.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How many calories are consumed daily to maintain "life", let's say in a 155lb non-active male/female?
                            Any number is an estimate. To know for sure, you need to get metabolic testing done. The range is lower than you'd expect, probably between 1500-1800 kcal per day
                            What's wrong with egg yolks?
                            Nada. They contain a bit of cholesterol, which is actually healthy for kids with growing brains. But my own cholesterol is creeping up and I have a family history of high cholesterol, so I tend to avoid food sources of cholesterol, including yolks, cheeses and meats. Pasture eggs (not organic, not free range, but true farm eggs from chickens that eat grubs from cow manure, the cows themselves grazing and ruminating on grass only) are health; their yolks contain a lot of natural omega fatty acids which balance the cholesterol well. These eggs are hard to find and cost a bit, a price that more than is made up for in the health benefits they engender. Since most eggs served in restaurants and sold in grocery stores are not pasture eggs, I avoid their fats.
                            muse_runner

keep running.

accountability check: 3/4 of a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck. Estimated time of consumption.... 30 minutes Embarrassed
                              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                                That's a cool new pic. of yourself!!! Shocked But the junk on your arm and about your neck...... Roll eyes Well, it looks like you just ran out of an emergency Room! Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka