When runners Cheat.... (Read 398 times)

Feeling the growl again

A couple years at the University of Okoboji Marathon there was cheater.  The course is short out and back followed by a circle around  Lake Okoboji.  There was a woman who I passed as I was coming back on the out and back at about mile 3 .  Nobody passed me during the race and then I was quite surprised when I passed her again at mile 22 or 23.  I thought it was weird but didn't think much about  it.  However at the finish one of the guys who finished behind me mentioned that he passed her late in the race and she never passed him either.  He was pretty mad and went to the race director to complain about her.  The director then asked me about her and asked several others who passed her late in the race, and we all told him that we were ahead of her early in the race and she never passed us.  He checked the mid course chip times and she was missing at them.

She was the first woman to cross the finish line and I saw her with her family before the award ceremony. I  asked her what her daughter thought of how she got the finisher's medal.  She gave me a strange look but didn't say anything.  However when they announced the winner for the women's race she started to head to get the award until she heard someone else's name as the winner.  She got a real mad look on her face, gave me a nasty stare and her family left angrily.  I thought it kind of funny; she got what she deserved. It wasn't me who brought her to the attention of the race director but I am glad the other guy did, and I probably will if I see something similar in the future.

Nice.  I'd turn her in too.

Years back I did turn in an elite woman for cheating at a major road race.  On turns she would cut up onto the sidewalk and tangent across the corner as much as any buildings would let her; this would cut off as much as 30 yards are so the way some of the corners were set up.  She had to cut through course marking cones to do this.  I told her after the first few that I would have her DQ'd if she continued but she did...so I did.

Apparently she claimed they did that all the time "over there" (ie Africa) but I didn't see any other foreign elites doing it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

I cheated a 5k once.

They had course maps. The map showed the 10k doing a loop that the 5k didn't do. I jogged the course. The sign clearly showed everyone doing the extra loop. I took a map to one of the people running the event, and asked to verify whether or not the 5k ran the loop. They confidently assured me the map was right.

I ran the race. I was in the lead pack. I skipped the loop. The others didn't but they were all 10k runners. 2nd in the 5k was a 12 year old girl probably a minute back.

I won the race, but it was obvious I ran short.

I asked again about the course map and told people I probably should have run the loop. They still said the course map was right and put me down as the winner. Later they gave me an asterisk by my time.

I came back later and ran it again with my GPS watch. I ran about half a mile short. Adding the loop made it almost exactly 5k.

It was a very small community event with maybe 100 or so total participants.

/shrug

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Fanilow

I remember that new yorker article! I read it three times because it was so weirdly fascinating. But if you want true, die-hard cray, you have to check out the letsrun thread referred to in the article. It's the combination of litton's bizarre antics and the rabid letsrun detectives that make the story so compelling.

I bet it takes me a week to get through it all...but fascinating!

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

Fanilow

I cheated a 5k once.

They had course maps. The map showed the 10k doing a loop that the 5k didn't do. I jogged the course. The sign clearly showed everyone doing the extra loop. I took a map to one of the people running the event, and asked to verify whether or not the 5k ran the loop. They confidently assured me the map was right.

I ran the race. I was in the lead pack. I skipped the loop. The others didn't but they were all 10k runners. 2nd in the 5k was a 12 year old girl probably a minute back.

I won the race, but it was obvious I ran short.

I asked again about the course map and told people I probably should have run the loop. They still said the course map was right and put me down as the winner. Later they gave me an asterisk by my time.

I came back later and ran it again with my GPS watch. I ran about half a mile short. Adding the loop made it almost exactly 5k.

It was a very small community event with maybe 100 or so total participants.

/shrug

-Kelly

I don't think it's cheating when you tried to do the right thing.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

spinach

I don't think it is cheating if you ran the wrong route in an attempt to run the correct route.  If this is cheating then everyone in the ten mile race at the Twin Cities Marathon this year cheated.  It seems that the lead vehicle for the ten mile race made a wrong turn and cut off .14 mile from the route.  Everyone followed the lead vehicle and ran the wrong, short course, but none of them cheated.  The lead vehicle screwed up.

Mmmmm...beer

I don't understand why people cheat, I'm the opposite, I would get disappointed if I PR'ed on a course that shows up short on the gps  

I've run "PRs" on short courses before, but there's no way I'd claim it as a PR.  In fact, I'm looking forward to getting redemption at a Thanksgiving Day 5k that I ran a couple of years ago, my time was a mid 18, when I was a mid-21 min 5Ker at the time.  The course is certified now, because so many people complained that year.

I wouldn't hesitate to turn in someone I saw cheating, even if they were a midpacker.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dave, seems like a long time ago when you were running "mid-21's!"  Crazy fast running you are doing these days.  Not to mention the miles, 100+ in 1 week?!  Good stuff.  PS.  See you at the Seashore 50K, even though I am not well prepared.  You should be shooting for a fast PR?  (No cutting the second loop!) :-)

Also, I somehow had never heard the Rosie Ruiz cheating story from 1980.  Had to go back and catch up on that one.  Appears in her case, after she was caught she took to selling drugs + some embezzling from an employer, then faded from the public eye.  Remembered only for her Boston running fraud...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/rosie-ruiz-fakes-boston-marathon-win

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

spinach

I wouldn't hesitate to turn in someone I saw cheating, even if they were a midpacker.

How about if the race had a rule against wearing headphones?  I was in a marathon once and I was running with the woman leader and so we had two bicyclists riding along with her.  We were going on an out and back stretch over the last 8 miles when one of the bicyclists saw a person probably six miles behind us who was wearing headphones.  He got all upset and wanted to turn around and catch to them to get their number so they could be DQed.  The other bicyclist and the three of us running together finally talked him out it, explaining that the person was way back in the pack, not anywhere near placing and no harm was being done with the runner with headphones.  We finally convinced him to stay when we pointed out that his job was to ride with the lead woman runner and he shouldn't leave her.

Is this worth disqualifying the runner?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not sure I equate this with cheating unless you take some hardware that belongs to others.

I raced a duathlon years ago where some dude took 2nd place in the women's field. I'm guessing it was a registration error, but it bumped a legitimate entrant from the podium (I was 5th in my AG and 6th OA prior to correction of results, so it didn't have any effect on my medal contention, but I knew it did on the woman ahead of me. And 5th OA is still a nicer placement than 6th). Once photos came out it was easy to verify that he was definitely not in possession of 2 X chromosomes. I contacted the race organizer and they'd apparently not had any inkling that anything was amiss (in spite of the 2nd place participant having a very masculine name, which is what caught my attention and triggered my sleuthing) and were hoping to try to rectify the awards situation.

I'm guessing he wasn't blatantly cheating, but I can't figure out why a guy would place in the women's results and not inform organizers of the error right from the get-go.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Cheating by deliberately breaking a no headphones rule seems quite common to me. Also cheating by deliberately breaking bib transfer rules. But cheating by deliberately cutting the course seems MUCH less common to me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DavePNW

How about if the race had a rule against wearing headphones?  I was in a marathon once and I was running with the woman leader and so we had two bicyclists riding along with her.  We were going on an out and back stretch over the last 8 miles when one of the bicyclists saw a person probably six miles behind us who was wearing headphones.  He got all upset and wanted to turn around and catch to them to get their number so they could be DQed.  The other bicyclist and the three of us running together finally talked him out it, explaining that the person was way back in the pack, not anywhere near placing and no harm was being done with the runner with headphones.  We finally convinced him to stay when we pointed out that his job was to ride with the lead woman runner and he shouldn't leave her.

Is this worth disqualifying the runner?

Seems excessive. Headphone-wearers may be annoying but do not gain a competitive advantage. Unless it is explicitly stated in the rules that headphones are prohibited and violators will be disqualified. And probably also announced at the start, since I think that would be pretty unusual.

Dave

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

wearing headphones is breaking the rules (assuming rules are specific and enforced). Breaking the rules is not the same as cheating. Cheating = Breaking the rules to gain unfair advantage. Unless you consider music on the run to be unfair advantage, I would not think of it as cheating. I think one of the reasons why professional races prohibit headphones is that, in theory, they could be used for two-way communication, which would be cheating.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I raced a duathlon years ago where some dude took 2nd place in the women's field. I'm guessing it was a registration error, but it bumped a legitimate entrant from the podium (I was 5th in my AG and 6th OA prior to correction of results, so it didn't have any effect on my medal contention, but I knew it did on the woman ahead of me. And 5th OA is still a nicer placement than 6th). Once photos came out it was easy to verify that he was definitely not in possession of 2 X chromosomes. I contacted the race organizer and they'd apparently not had any inkling that anything was amiss (in spite of the 2nd place participant having a very masculine name, which is what caught my attention and triggered my sleuthing) and were hoping to try to rectify the awards situation.

I'm guessing he wasn't blatantly cheating, but I can't figure out why a guy would place in the women's results and not inform organizers of the error right from the get-go.

I did a 5k at a local high school last year, it was raising money for the American Cancer Society in honor of one of their teachers. A large percentage of the participants were affiliated with the school.  First place OA got a tablet, AG winners got fitness bands and 2nd & 3rd OA got some sort of techie gadget. The OA "female" winner was a high school boy who I guess ran using a female's bib. He actually went up to claim the award! Left a bad taste in my mouth for that high school, which is actually one of the top ranked ones in the state, and the race management company.,

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The OA "female" winner was a high school boy who I guess ran using a female's bib. He actually went up to claim the award! 

They actually gave him the award?! 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Seems excessive. Headphone-wearers may be annoying but do not gain a competitive advantage. Unless it is explicitly stated in the rules that headphones are prohibited and violators will be disqualified. And probably also announced at the start, since I think that would be pretty unusual.

I've run races that disqualified cheaters with headphones. But most seem to not care. On the one hand, that kind of condones ignoring rules and cheating for convenience. On the other hand, it is realistically acknowledging that most of us do not care, just as we don't care about people who break traffic laws.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.