This Web Site is Fantastic! (Read 835 times)

Greetings all. I am new this site (referred to it by Starflight) and I am absolutely amazed at the technology! When I began running, Bill Rodgers was winning Boston (was everyone's hero) and the biggest new thing on the block was the digital stopwatch-- on the wrist no less! Now to use GPS mapping to plot my running courses and to track all my runs on the training log is absolutely amazing. No more driving around setting my car's odometer. Two years ago I was DXed a T2 with a slightly positive hemoglobin and, based on my symptoms (neuropathy), Doc guesses I already had the disease for about 5 to 8 years. I was one who avoided doctors. Hey, I always ran well and felt good until '03 when things began to fall apart. In '04 I decided it was time and voila...! Until this season I thought running was a thing of my past and resorted to daily long walks until I started finding other diabetic runners on line. What a delight to know that this disease doesn't necessarily have to stop us. In a battle to keep my feet attached I am back to my pre-diagnosis 20-30 miles per week and am beginning to think of a marathon next summer. (Done 2 half marathons and a variety of shorter races for fun but never the "big one.") I would also like to find and work with other older diabetics in my community who would like to resume or add running to their lives. Thank for a great site. This is the most useful thing other than my running shoes! - John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, John! I still use my car's odometer, though I've found I use the mapping feature here more often... Good luck with your DM, and welcome! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Welcome, John! Smile This site really is invaluable, isn't it?! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great to see ya here John and happy you find the site usefull!! Got a run in after work as the killer heat and humidity finally broke. I am back to sounding and running like that rino in Jumanji again! I gotta find an indoor track!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Hey, Starflight. I owe my being here to you. Thanks for telling about Running Ahead! Yes, the heat here finally broke here today after some nasty T storms so maybe we can get some good runs in. Hadn't heard from you in a few day and was wondering how your running was going. You might find an indoor track at your larger high schools or colleges if there are any in your area. Check them out and see. One would certainly come in handy for the winter months too. Has your mileage been about the same or has the weather put you back some? John

I ran yesterday afternoon when the humidity broke. The temp was 85F wihich was not fun. My run was not really great either. This morning I ran just before 7 am @ 60F and did much better. The first half of my mile was too fast and once I got my pace I felt much better and added my cool down to my run. Sadly I once had a 95 yeal old Desert Tortis that is faster than I am currently. Man when he heard corn being shucked that old boy could move!! I can see improvement slow as it is so I muct be doing something right

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Starflight, I just started a user group on this site for us diabetics. Interested in joining?? Click on user groups (above) and type in diabetic runners or... http://www.runningahead.com/groups/diabetic_runners John