Plantar Fascitis (Read 1293 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Any good treatments? Any tricks anyone knows? I'm doing a lot of stretches, was given a machine to do stretches, and took 5 days off from running. I ice 3-5 times a day and take anti-inflammatories. I've also lost 20 lbs in the last 3 months, which should help. I run between 6-9 mpw right now, and should be slowly stepping up to 12-15 mpw by August (ideally running 4 dpw via HHST). Does anyone have any good thoughts--I'm trying to build up enough to be a "real" runner and don't want to be grounded. Chris

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

don't have any ideas for the PF...but I would like to throw out and idea for you. IF you are running anything per week, you are a "real" runner. I haven't seen anywhere on this site yet where it says you have to be running x/miles per week or you aren't a runner. So I guess the best advice is concentrate on getting the hurts fixed and don't worry about a magic number that doesn't exist...
      JakeKnight

I've dealt with this since May. I am finally - finally! - starting to get over it. Get to a running store. Find an expert. Buy the sock, use the stretchy device thingamabob, keep doing the stretches. Try some hard massage on the area and on the heel; I use a golf ball, but there are devices made specifically for it. Time off did nothing for me. It actually made it worse. Lowering mileage didn't help. Staying out of hills to some extent DID help. Consider limiting hills, or at least avoiding steep ones. The one mistake I made was not really doing all the stuff I was supposed to do. Almost none of it, in fact. The truth is, if you do the exercises and stretches and use the socks and all that, you can run through it and get rid of it. Or so they tell me. If you don't do all that, you'll end up like me, 8 months later and limping everywhere. Ultimately, what made a change was a new pair of shoes. I'm convinced one new pair caused it. Then the fact that I was running on a couple pair with a combined 1300 miles on them didn't help. I got a new pair, a pair that fit me better, last month - and despite upping my mileage (now in the 50 miles per week range), its starting to go away. PF is a curse. Deal with it. Don't be me. It sucks to have for months on end. Make sure you've got the right shoes. If it keeps being a problem, I'm trying orthotics. The girl at the running store swore they'd help. But a) she was really cute so I wasn't paying attention, and b) she works on commission so she might just be trying to sell me something. But since I definitely feel a need for more arch support, orthotics or some other shoes may be an option down the road. Good luck. PF sucks. Modified to add: and you may just try running more. I swear more miles fixes most problems, even when you'd think the opposite was true. My PF was worst when I was least consistent, and when I was running the lowest mileage. You may find that - if you have the right shoes - it goes away on its own once you get in the 20-25 miles per week range, running 4-5 days a week. But take that advice with a huge grain of salt, since it might cripple you, too. But I don't think its coincidence that new shoes + good consistent mileage has finally started to ease this problem in my left foot. I was considering amputation, too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

I had issues with it post marathon last fall and found that it had nothing to do with running. It was actually being caused by spending long hours on my feet at work with unsupportive shoes (crocs). I bought some insoles for PF and started wearing running shoes at work and the problem went away within a month. Hope this helps Jarrod
          JakeKnight

I had issues with it post marathon last fall and found that it had nothing to do with running. It was actually being caused by spending long hours on my feet at work with unsupportive shoes (crocs). I bought some insoles for PF and started wearing running shoes at work and the problem went away within a month. Hope this helps Jarrod
            That's a great point. One key thing is never to walk around your house barefoot and not to spend time standing in shoes without support. I ended up keeping my running shoes by the bed like slippers - and it really helped. PF can definitely be caused (or worsened) by stuff other than running. If I'd followed Jarrod's advice from the start, my PF likely would have gone away more quickly. It took me forever to notice that walking around barefoot really freakin' hurt - and that shoes sorta fixed that.

Why is it sideways?

PF is a bear, and like Jake says, you've got to be proactive. I found superfeet insoles to be helpful.Think about how your PF may be related to other more general issues. The issue for me was general ankle flexibility, and the thing that helped me the most was kicking with zoomers or fins in the pool because it helped to strengthen and loosen up those muscles and tendons and such. I'll also echo staying off hills for a little while. And being aware of the sort of footwear you use when you're not running. If you have a high arch, make sure you've got support.
              invisible

celiacChris, Stand in bare or stocking feet (depending on surface). Lean ever so slightly forward (You'll figure it out). Press your toes into the ground and pull yourself forward by toe power. Distance and reps are up to you, but do it a lot.
                90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                  Modified to add: and you may just try running more. I swear more miles fixes most problems, even when you'd think the opposite was true. My PF was worst when I was least consistent, and when I was running the lowest mileage. You may find that - if you have the right shoes - it goes away on its own once you get in the 20-25 miles per week range, running 4-5 days a week. But take that advice with a huge grain of salt, since it might cripple you, too. But I don't think its coincidence that new shoes + good consistent mileage has finally started to ease this problem in my left foot. I was considering amputation, too.
                  For what it's worth, I'd have to second this. I have had some pain recently where my heel "connects" to my arch which I assumed was the onset of PF. When it first started I thought "ok dont be stupid just let it heal" since I usually will ignore pain until it becomes a real problem. Well after 3 days of not running it only got worse, and I couldn't take it anymore, so I started running again and even upped my mileage, but I did slow my pace and concentrate on taking shorter strides, which seems to not be as stressful on the part of my foot that was hurting. I also have wood/ceramic tile in most of my house, and I think going barefoot on the tile was really aggravating it, so I cut that out completely. I rarely go barefoot in my house anymore. Occasionally I'll grab a bag of frozen veggies from the freezer and put my foot on it while I'm on my computer, but not very often. I really need to do more proactive things like the golf ball or sock or whatever, but it seems that just running through it is working out so far. Like JK said, following this advice could as easily cripple you as help you, but it's just my experience. Do whatever feels right for you.
                  Mishka-old log

I've fought PF at various pionts in my running career. It started to come on again last fall, and knowing what I was up against, went straight to a running store. They put me in the New Balance 767ST. It cleared up almost immediately. Another shoe that works for me is the Asics GT-2120. As the running store dude explained to me, the rigid arch (see below) on the inside of the shoe does the trick for many PF sufferers.
                    JakeKnight

Another shoe that works for me is the Asics GT-2120. As the running store dude explained to me, the rigid arch (see below) on the inside of the shoe does the trick for many PF sufferers.
                      Thanks, Mishka. Very interesting. I was running primarily with the GT-2120's all last spring, including two PR marathons, loved them - and then right when I switched to another shoe, the PF started. And the shoes I just bought "Brooks Adrenalines" are (according to the cute sales girl anyway) very similar to the 2120s, and they've helped a lot. And I've been wearing my old 2120's around the house lately. And the PF is going away. Any idea if the new 2130's have the same structure? If you're right, I'll just buy nothing but 2100 series shoes. I'd love to find a fix that easy.

Thanks, Mishka. Very interesting. I was running primarily with the GT-2120's all last spring, including two PR marathons, loved them - and then right when I switched to another shoe, the PF started. And the shoes I just bought "Brooks Adrenalines" are (according to the cute sales girl anyway) very similar to the 2120s, and they've helped a lot. And I've been wearing my old 2120's around the house lately. And the PF is going away. Any idea if the new 2130's have the same structure? If you're right, I'll just buy nothing but 2100 series shoes. I'd love to find a fix that easy.
                        I have been using Brooks Adrenaline 6's for the past year, right now on my 2nd and 3rd pair, and they are great. Are you on the 7's ?
                        JakeKnight

I have been using Brooks Adrenaline 6's for the past year, right now on my 2nd and 3rd pair, and they are great. Are you on the 7's ?
                          Yep. I was going to get the Asics 2120's (or the new 2130s), but the Brooks were different - and sexy. And the girl swore they were similar. So far, so good. I really like them. Plus I think somebody finally noticing that I have wide feet was a good thing.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

according to the cute sales girl anyway
                            And the girl swore they were similar.
                            And if the girl told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe her?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

McShane

Hey, I have been living with PF for three years now, and managing it. Jake and others have good advice, I use Asics 2120's and just got a pair of 2130's and like them. I also bought two pairs of 2120's to rotate. I wear my old hippie Birkenstocks around the house and refrain from playing hoops and doing stupid things my body resents (besides running...) Anyway, stretching is key, especially your calves, its all connected. Also, weird as it sounds, rub your feet, or find someone who will, payment may be an option. I have grown to live with it and run through it. GOOD LUCK!
                                Hey, I have been living with PF for three years now, and managing it.
                                I was starting to wonder, why was I the only one who had it for close to 4 years before I finally got rid of it. Those that got rid of it in a few months are very lucky. I hear laser therapy helps.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius