All time favorite albums (Read 1057 times)

Looking gooooood ;p

Ok...One from each decade that I've buying music..... 1970s - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis 1980s - So - Peter Gabriel 1990s - OK Computer - Radiohead 2000s - Edit Music for a Film: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Reconstruction Disc 2 - UNKLE ...and a wildcard all time favourite.. Girls, Girls, Girls - Elvis Costello's Greatest Hits
    The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....

Run the race God set B4U

Nice selections! Smile
      Big grin I think so, but to each his own huh????
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
      JakeKnight

Pretty sure you dissed Prince there, so I found this for ya in Wikipedia: The 1000th issue of Entertainment Weekly dated July 4, 2008 listed Purple Rain at number one on the Top 100 Best albums of the past 25 years.[2]
        Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. "I Would Die 4 U" is one of the greatest songs of the late 20th. The whole album is almost perfect. No child of the '80s could fail to love Purple Rain, since it was almost always the longest slow song played at every high school dance. And the debates over what exactly Darling Nikki was doing with that magazine still rage. You chose ... poorly. Out of curiosity, if "Entertainment Weekly" didn't include Purple Rain on their list, could it still be on mine? Ask Trent why that's funny. He'll get it. Nirvana is over-rated. The only thing that saves their place in musical history is a 12-gauge.
        Prince Rules. Of this, there is no debate. I'm in pRED's corner on this one.
        I'd repeat the maxim about assuming making an ass out of you and me ... but in your case, it's way, way too late.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Nice selections! Smile
          Dude. Even in Ann Arbor they'd be slapping you. Duran Duran? Seriously?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Duran Duran? Seriously?
            Duran Duran's Greatest Hits is the guiltiest of guilty pleasures. I would think that a guys who screams from the rooftops treetops that Bat Out of Hell is the greatest album ever would understand that. Some people call it a one night stand But we can call it paradise That is good stuff right there.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Nirvana is over-rated. The only thing that saves their place in musical history is a 12-gauge.
              I'd have to agree. I like some of their stuff, but it gets old fast. I used to like it a lot more. They're not as great as they're made out to be. I like the Foo Fighters better.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

No child of the '80s could fail to love Purple Rain, since it was almost always the longest slow song played at every high school dance
                Well, if you were standing off to the side instead of dancing, you might think that song is the crappiest one on the album. Hypothetically, of course. It is a fantastic album. For me, especially the bass-free "When Doves Cry." I love good bass-playing, but this is one song were the complete absence of a bass part is both shocking and perfect.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mishka-old log

Nirvana is over-rated. The only thing that saves their place in musical history is a 12-gauge.
                  Agreed, and um wow. That's one way to put it. I think they get, and deserve a ton of credit for changing the course of things and brining, with one single guitar riff, the sound that was the '90s alternative rock scene to the forefront. That may not be a plus in everyone's book, but much of what made me really pay attention to music came from that scene. To me, a virtual disciple of that era, that first album was great, but doesn't rank up there with my other favorites from that era alone. I can't remember the last time I played a Nirvana record.
                  JakeKnight

Duran Duran's Greatest Hits is the guiltiest of guilty pleasures. I would think that a guys who screams from the rooftops treetops that Bat Out of Hell is the greatest album ever would understand that.
                    Logical fallacy. Pointing out that my favorite sucks - or that millions might agree - does not make Duran Duran any less mock-worthy. Dude. They were the N'Sync of the 80's. But not as manly.

Mishka-old log

N'Sync was the NKOTB of the '90s.
                      JakeKnight

Lance Bass rocks my world.

Mishka-old log

Lance Bass rocks my world.
                          AND
                          And for the record, I'd be a hot chick.
                          Is there something you need to get off your chest?
                          JakeKnight

AND Is there something you need to get off your chest?
                            Or on.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Logical fallacy. Pointing out that my favorite sucks - or that millions might agree - does not make Duran Duran any less mock-worthy.
                              I don't think your favorite sucks. In fact, I think it's fantastic. ("Paradise" is in my karaoke playlist, and I belt this one out regularly during my commute.) But it is a mock-worthy guilty pleasure, nevertheless.

JakeKnight

Paradise is arguably the greatest Karaoke song ever. At least for a duo. Especially if you've got the Phil Rizzuto bit memorized. And can find a partner to make out with you while you sing it. Not that I would.