Sugar (Read 1109 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow. That's some straight propaganda there. Nice find r2farm! Crazy how low an industry will stoop just to continue its own unethical practices.
    But, look how happy those people are! All because they eat all those HFCS foods. HFCS must be OK then!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

wyerock

+1 Trent! Personally, I have to avoid too much HFCS because it causes dumping syndrome for me. Dead Too much coke at dinner and its all gone--0 calories! In general, HFCS churns my stomach--sugar not as bad. I just think its sad that we're stuck with HFCS in so many products because of the cost. Usually the market will give us 1 or 2 alternative products, but I'm only just now hearing about Pepsi Natural/Raw, but it looks to be UK only. I'm pretty sure Coke has a kosher version (Passover Coke, I think).
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

All sugars are not created equal--just ask any type 1 diabetic. Glycemic index and glycemic load are factors. This is why potatoes wreak more havoc than white sugar (sweet potatoes are lower glycemic than either). But the type 1s I know run for the insulin after ingesting anything containing HFCS. I'll drink diet pop long before I'd drink regular. I'll take my chances with the potential long-term side-effects of artificial sweeteners. Processed sugar and HFCS make me feel like crap in the short term and are like a gateway drug...first it's the sugary pop, next it's the French bread, then the French fries, then the cookies, then the pie...mmm...pie.... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

(I had some french fries today at lunch)
          Life without french fries would not be worth living. MTA: Preferably with malt vinegar. Never ketchup.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Life without french fries would not be worth living. MTA: Preferably with malt vinegar. Never ketchup.
            I like mine with chili and cheese....

~ Sarah Kay

xor

You know what they put on french fries in Holland?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Melted Gouda or Edam? Confused

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Probably mayonnaise. Still better than ketchup. Might as well dump powdered sugar on them.

A Saucy Wench

+1 Trent! Personally, I have to avoid too much HFCS because it causes dumping syndrome for me. Dead Too much coke at dinner and its all gone--0 calories! In general, HFCS churns my stomach--sugar not as bad. I just think its sad that we're stuck with HFCS in so many products because of the cost. Usually the market will give us 1 or 2 alternative products, but I'm only just now hearing about Pepsi Natural/Raw, but it looks to be UK only. I'm pretty sure Coke has a kosher version (Passover Coke, I think).
                    I also have different body response to HCFS vs. table sugar. I am sugar sensitive and HCFS causes me to sugar spike/crash much harder than sugar. You can get coke made with sugar instead of HCFS at Costco. Spendy though.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Probably mayonnaise. Still better than ketchup. Might as well dump powdered sugar on them.
                      Mayo is actually really good on fries. As is sour cream. I had a co-worker who used to mix ketchup and mayo to dip her fries in. It was yummy. I'm really not a huge ketchup fan, either. It's OK, but I'm with you on the malt vinegar...mmmm...

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Yes, mayo. Twas a line from Pulp Fiction. You can get Dr Pepper made with cane sugar, but you have to go to the last remaining Dr Pepper bottler in the states that makes it this way... in Dublin TX, south of Ft Worth. And they don't make much. They might ship it to you. Also, Jones Soda and I'm sure other boutique bottlers make cane sodas (incl colas) too.

Imminent Catastrophe

It's OK, but I'm with you on the malt vinegar...mmmm...
                          Yep, lived in Britain for a time when I was a kid, and it's fish and chips with malt vinegar and salt. Preferably wrapped up in the London Sunday Times. Mmmmmm.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, lived in Britain for a time when I was a kid, and it's fish and chips with malt vinegar and salt. Preferably wrapped up in the London Sunday Times. Mmmmmm.
                            OMG, haddock-n-chips! If I could only eat one meal for the rest of my life that would be it! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

You can get Dr Pepper made with cane sugar, but you have to go to the last remaining Dr Pepper bottler in the states that makes it this way... in Dublin TX, south of Ft Worth. And they don't make much. .
                              Mmmm, Dublin Dr. Pepper. About the only thing I miss about Texas.

A Saucy Wench

I like mayo on fries...thats how I used to eat them back in the fast food employee days. I like mustard on fries as the French do it. I like malt vinegar like the British, but I like the PA dutch vinegar better. I like just hot crispy fries with lots of salt and no dippy. I like catsup. or ketchup. I like skinny cheap fast food fries (although currently I think Wendy's makes better fries than McD) I like thick cut home fries. I especially like sweet potato fries with chipotle catsup. I'm thinking the common theme here MIGHT just be that I like french fries. Although oddly, I did not like them as a child. I loved the way they smelled and would beg my mom to order them for me on the rare occasions we were somewhere that had them, but would never eat more than 1 or 2. (somehow it never occurred to her to order fries for me and not her and then just eat mine) This is mean, I have a volunteer appreciation dinner to go to tonight and it doesnt start til 7 pm, this french fry talk is making me hungry.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7