How can I run a Faster 5k? (Read 127 times)

asteiber

Can anyone recommend a training plan to get me from my 7:30-7:45 minute pace to a 6:30-6:45 pace for a 5k? I run 30 miles a week, do 1 day of speed work (fartleks) and am 61 years old. Any and all tips welcomed!

thanks

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

At 61 you're fighting an uphill battle with age, but it can be done.  I dropped my 5K time from 25:43 to 22:56 over the course of 6 months at that age with more formal interval workouts and an occasional tempo run.  My target was to run 4-5K worth of intervals in my speed workout, e.g. 10-12 x 400m or 4-5 x 1000m as examples. Having a specific pace and distance with intervals I found more effective than fartlek because it didn't allow me to subtly back off when I got tired.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

add another day of speedwork per week...

OR change your fartlek or vary that day more...

so 1 week do your fartlek..the next week,

do some 1000m or 400m intervals

good luck!

more miles too...of course.

300m- 37 sec.

paul2432

If you are above your optimal racing weight, losing weight will help.  (2 seconds/pound/mile is the standard rule).

Regarding training, I agree with the others. Keep in mind that running improvement is a slow process.  If you are new at it you’ll make big gains in the first year or two, but have that you’ll need to train harder and harder for smaller and smaller gains.

an amazing likeness

...running improvement is a slow process.  If you are new at it you’ll make big gains in the first year or two, but have that you’ll need to train harder and harder for smaller and smaller gains.

True dat, but a glance at the OP's log shows 11+ years of workouts and race PRs over those years...

Asteiber -- hope you find some solutions to battle time, you'll win a boatload of AG awards.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

For a experienced runner 7:30 to 6:30 is a big jump.  IMO unless you radically change your training regimen, that would be a difficult ask.  Not sure what your timeline is, but you might need 2-3 training cycles to get there.

During the summer I'd focus on getting the mileage way up, mostly easy pace maybe finish with some strides 2-3 times a week, the actual structure is less important than overall mileage, but try to vary the distance of each run something like 3-4, 7, 3, 8, 0-2, 6, 12.  Run a couple of 5K races along the way, but don't expect big improvements.  In the fall, I'd drop some mileage like going from 40+ miles a week to 30-35 miles a week and focus on speed (run 400-800 m intervals at your 5K pace from your most recent race) and find a flat 5k in Nov/Dec to see how close you can get to that goal.  If you are not quite there, one more cycle like above may be needed.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

...the actual structure is less important than overall mileage, but try to vary the distance of each run something like 3-4, 7, 3, 8, 0-2, 6, 12....

This is somewhat contradictory.  If the actual structure is less important, then varying the distance wouldn't be that critical.  Varying the pace and getting a balance of speed and endurance type runs once mileage is at a certain level is at least as important as increasing mileage.  At 30 mpw getting in the quality runs will generate more benefits until the next plateau is reached.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

You are right, The idea is to vary the effort from day to day, while also building mileage and building up to a 90-120 min long run.  Effort can be pace or distance.

A while back when I was running races, I was running two mid week medium long runs of 7-8 miles and a weekend 12-14 miler.  The rest were whatever I felt like on any particular day.

mikeymike

Are you married to 30 miles per week? That seems like the limiting factor to me.

mta: Also, according to your log, you really don't run 30 miles per week--you run a maximum of 30 miles per week. You've averaged 22.8 miles per week so far this year.

Runners run

asteiber

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. As some of you noted from my summary, I do have many years of experience so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make big gains at my age but I'm hoping. And fair point, mikeymike, my average has been below the 30 mpw but that's why I need a plan! It sounds like more structured speed work with intervals is the biggest change I need to make along with more base miles too. (it's definitely not weight, I'm 6 ft, 150 lbs). I am trying to build in more strength work but it's only been a couple days a month so far. Thanks again for the input, Team.

rlopez

Base miles are called base miles for a reason. Build that base until it is a base, THEN get all PhD with your speed work.

asteiber

rlopez (or anyone else), what's your suggested base level of miles per week?

mikeymike

rlopez (or anyone else), what's your suggested base level of miles per week?

As much as you can handle without breaking down. Seriously. It's different for everyone so it's impossible to give a rule of thumb.

Personally I've never been able to race at a level that I could accept on less than about 200 miles per month (50 mpw) and to get anywhere near PR territory I need to be in the 250-300 mile per month (60-70 mpw) range for several months in a row.

But if you've never really sustained more than 30 mpw then building to 40 a week and doing that for a couple of months will probably do wonders.

Runners run

MoBramExam

Good start would be working up to adding 5:00 to 10:00 minutes a day on your easy runs.  Your long run could stand to be 20:00 to 45:00 minutes longer also.

Take a slow build up, reduce the amount of speed work you are currently doing while increasing the easy miles.

Don’t be married to that conventional wisdom rule of 10% increase per week/month.  Increase at a rate where you can run, rest, and repeat day after day and not break down.  If it’s less that 10%, it’s less than 10%.

Slow your tempos down from “comfortably hard” (hour effort pace) to closer to your estimated marathon pace.

Growing older myself, have come to recognize that continuing to post competitive race times is less a matter of training to get faster, and more about training with the precision that keeps me from slowing down.

SMART Approach

Great advice above but just a reminder to not increase miles AND "work outs" and speed stuff etc at the same time. This would be something some runners would do thinking it would work to speed up the process. As mentioned, it may take a couple training cycles to figure it out and make significant progress but you don't want to break down at your experienced  age.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com