Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

this thread has now referenced Joe Piscopo and a picture of Carl Lewis.

time for some light-hearted entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LymeOcJyJtg

but why is Carl running the wrong direction?

or this 

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c53d48a4a1/all-drug-olympics

All of France must be smiling. Damn this stupid ass-backward country of ours!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

bhearn

I'm having a hard time getting worked up over this either way. Maybe because I never paid much attention to cycling in the first place.

I guess for me, it's like this. Lance had a chance to be a leader in his sport and work with authorities to clean it up. It wouldn't have been easy, but I think he could have figured out how to do this without damaging his reputation as a hard worker, a powerful athlete, and a cancer survivor. Imagine if he could have added "anti-doping crusader" to this list of accomplishments.

Lance fan. Yes, it'd have been nice if he actually did come clean. Don't see that ever happening, he'll deny it forever.

Here's a little perspective of doping in the cycling world. Biggest take away, lots of heart attacks for young healthy individuals.

Lance's guilt/conviction/ban will have zero effect on doping, it will continue.

Get off my porch

A little perspective for those who revel in the Lance attacks. 

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/150/can-livestrong-survive-lance.html

not sure there are many people experiencing schadenfreude here.  most of us are fans of his who didn't want to suspect, then didn't want to believe, then finally accepted what appears to be reality. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

not sure there are many people experiencing schadenfreude here.  most of us are fans of his who didn't want to suspect, then didn't want to believe, then finally accepted what appears to be reality. 

+1

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

One does not accept 'what appears to be reality' before a conviction. Least that's the way it should be. 

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Feeling the growl again

One does not accept 'what appears to be reality' before a conviction. Least that's the way it should be. 

The court system is held to a different burden of proof than personal opinion.  Funny things happen with juries too sometimes.

OJ Simpson...Casey Anthony...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sure one does. Do you wait for a court of law to rule before you make every decision? Do you believe every court ruling is correct? I doubt it.

Runners run

But, in this case, IF he's been clean, and more importantly, IF he's currently clean, then this early conviction (and WTF policy) is preventing him from competing this weekend.... and next .... and maybe forever.

I just don't understand.....

This is so far from my reality, but, from a human level, it kind of sucks to be convicted before trial.

Cheers, and have a great weekend enjoying every minute of whatever you do.
                          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Why is it sideways?

But, in this case, IF he's been clean, and more importantly, IF he's currently clean, then this early conviction (and WTF policy) is preventing him from competing this weekend.... and next .... and maybe forever.

I just don't understand.....

This is so far from my reality, but, from a human level, it kind of sucks to be convicted before trial.

Cheers, and have a great weekend enjoying every minute of whatever you do.
                            Brian

Well, let's hope that the people whose job it is to make this decision, the people who know the facts of the case, the people charged with enforcing these rules made the right decision.

They made this decision because they thought that they had enough evidence to show that he violated the rules of the sport and lied about it for years.

None of us know but some of us believe that the USADA, the 10 or so members of Lance's former team who have accused him of doping, the scientists who ran the labs on his old samples, the folks who have looked hard at this matter are telling the truth. We don't believe this out of spite, out of bad will, out of the need to tear anyone down. We believe it because we care about the sport, we don't want drugs in it, and despite our admiration for Lance as a great athlete.

I'm not going to sit here and accuse those who defend Lance of having bad character or bad judgment. I'm not going to run some sort of Freudian analysis on them, use fancy German words, or pretend that they don't understand the basics of the justice system.

I'm just going to disagree.

a very interesting graphic depicting the top ten riders in each of the years that Armstrong has won the TdF

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/armstrong1150px.jpg

bhearn

More commentary over at the Science of Sport.

"In case you've missed it, this is NOT a case about Armstrong and doping.  Rather, it casts the net wider, and most significantly, is pursuing the "conspiracy" (the word used in the letter) to dope by teams of which Armstrong was a member.

It is about the system, and the most "exciting" thing about it is that the evidence presented may expose the internal doping system from the top-down.  That is something that has long been lacking, because the sole spotlight always falls on the doped rider, when it's the organization that enables doping that needs to be carved down.  So my view there is that any cycling fan who wishes to see the sport advance even further should celebrate the opportunity to fully expose the corruption that put it there in the first place.

I'd say that anyone interesting in seeing cycling move forward should probably take very seriously the prospects that the sport is run by people who would cover up the tests as is alleged.  So this is yet another angle that makes these charges relevant today.  Bottom line - don't believe the PR machine that says this is a "vendetta" and that everyone should leave the retired rider alone.  There's more to this than that."