how far could you keep up with Haile Gebrselassie (Read 979 times)

Let's see... the marathon record is 2:03:59, or 4:45 per mile. at that pace I believe I would have to hand the batton to someone else at about 300 - 350 meters. So I could run with him about .2 miles. The rest of you would have to take it the final 26. Smile That's about 1:11 for a quarter mile and I don't think I can run that pace for even a quarter mile. That's freakin' amazing when you take that persepctive. I could not even run 1/4 mile with this guy? And he's running over 100 of them in a row? Amazing.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

DS16 could run just over a mile with him. I wouldn't even make it 10 feet!

Prince of Fatness

I couldn't keep up with him, period. How far doesn't enter the equation.

Not at it at all. 

Top 'O the World!

I couldn't keep up with him, period. How far doesn't enter the equation.
          what he said.... Tongue bet I couldn't even chase him w/a vid cam.
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

#artbydmcbride

It depends...how high is the cliff I would get to jump off? Big grin

Runners run

I think it works out to about 18 seconds for 100 meters- not sure if I can do that-even once!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Old, Slow, Happy

I could lead him for 3 steps....if I get to say go.
                C-R

The entire way.....assuiming he would allow me to ride my motorcycle while he runs. Clowning around

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Right on Hereford...

Great hypothetical question! It really helps provide a perspective on just HOW much better the elites are than the rest of us. I have no idea how long I could keep up with Haile. Maybe 400 meters?
                      Great hypothetical question! It really helps provide a perspective on just HOW much better the elites are than the rest of us. I have no idea how long I could keep up with Haile. Maybe 400 meters?
                      You are being modest. It looks like you could stay with him for at least a 1/2 mile before puking. You rock.

xor

The entire way.....assuiming he would allow me to ride my motorcycle while he runs. Clowning around
                        He would complain about the pollution.

JimR

I've never tried an all-out mile, or even an all-out quarter for that matter. I would need 71 second quarter speed to keep up and I don't think I've ever gone below 80 in training. Maybe I'll try it some time and see but I doubt I could break 75. I'll go with 150 meters for my answer.
                          xor

I've never tried an all-out mile, or even an all-out quarter for that matter. I would need 71 second quarter speed to keep up and I don't think I've ever gone below 80 in training. Maybe I'll try it some time and see but I doubt I could break 75. I'll go with 150 meters for my answer.
                            Ah. So perhaps you are the world's slowest fast guy? (As for me, I'm going with 100 meters. AND I'm relying on the idea that he'll start out a little slow.)

JimR

Ah. So perhaps you are the world's slowest fast guy?
                              Big grin

Why is it sideways?

Some more perspective. From the thread:
                                We can put this ridiculous marathon into perspective. Geb averaged 4:43 per mile for 26.2. This is 2:22 per half and 71 per quarter. How many of you can... Run a 71 second 400 for 105 straight days (26.2 mile distance) OR Run a 2:22 800 for 52 straight days (26 mile distance) OR Run a 4:43 mile for 26 straight days OR if you really feel bold Run a 9:26 3200 for 13 straight days OR in all impossibility Run a 61:59 half marathon in 2 straight days