piriformis and aching through night (Read 866 times)

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I've been pouring over the "search" feature and the Net in general but haven't found anything specific about this. Does anyone know if it's common for piriformis pain to actually wake you in the night? In the past week I've been dealing with what certainly feels like piriformis after stupidly using an OTC arch support on one side only, combined with "homemade" padding in my shoe to deal with a bunion problem. But along with the localized extremely sore spot in the "jeans back pocket" region and some radiating hip/leg/lower back pain, I'm getting this gnawing ache from the spot at night. Does this sound like piriformis caused by running with an uneven gait? I'm so disappointed with myself for causing an injury at a time when I'm actually being very careful to go slowly, etc. I've done a lot of running on the TM lately too including my 8m long runs, which might have been foolish. I much prefer my gait outside. Anyhoo. Just feeling like crud on a cracker and would appreciate some support. I have stopped running and am doing a number of stretches for the muscle and the tennis ball massage and it does seem to help at least in the short term. Last night I got up and put some muscle cream on it and the pain did ease up.
    ~ Fly ~
    Only as much as I dream can I be.
    veggies on the run
    pitrunner

I've had it happen to me but it was mostly because I was sleeping on my side and aggravating it. Have you tried getting a good massage? That helped my piriformis immensely.

Hmm. Ironically my left side (the sore side) is the only way I can get a good night's sleep. So I guess that's not helping. I haven't tried massage yet, except for the tennis ball. I have zero spending money right now which is why I was experimenting with cheap shoe inserts in the first place. Thanks for responding. Is this something you can/should run through? It seems like some people sort of get it under control and then run in spite of it.
        ~ Fly ~
        veggies on the run
        pitrunner

Hmm. Ironically my left side (the sore side) is the only way I can get a good night's sleep. So I guess that's not helping. I haven't tried massage yet, except for the tennis ball. I have zero spending money right now which is why I was experimenting with cheap shoe inserts in the first place. Thanks for responding. Is this something you can/should run through? It seems like some people sort of get it under control and then run in spite of it.
          That's exactly right - mine was aggravated when I slept on the opposite side from the injury. It's almost like the angle your knee/leg make when you're trying not to sleep on it really cramp it up even worse. I'm really not sure how bad mine was in the grand scheme of things, but I know that the discomfort made me not feel like running on it since it was really painful. I'm speaking of the first time I ever had a flare up. It took lots of stretching, massages, and rest before it felt better. I've subsequently felt pain there 2x since, and each time it happens it's less and less severe/painful. The last time it bugged me was earlier this spring. I got one massage and BAM - it was fine. I definitely can't say whether you should run through it or not. I'm not really sure what that could lead to, if anything??

I definitely can't say whether you should run through it or not. I'm not really sure what that could lead to, if anything??
            Thanks again. Just wanted to clarify that I do intend to take a break and do whatever I need to do to get past the acute stage of this before running again. I've just read some posts where people are obviously still running/training before it's completely gone and I don't want to lose all of my conditioning if I don't have to. I've only been doing the stretches, etc. for the last few days and it's already feeling a bit better.
            ~ Fly ~
            veggies on the run
              Is this something you can/should run through? It seems like some people sort of get it under control and then run in spite of it.
              I'm not sure if this will be encouraging or discouraging, but I think you can run through it. I dealt with it for well over a year and was able to keep running, except for a couple weeks when it was at it's worst. Keep doing the stretches and good luck.
                I do Yoga and go to a chiropractor. Seems to help a lot.
                Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                  I'm dealing with this myself. Went to my Chiro and also had his massotherapist work on me for one hour. My PF PAIN is gone, but it's still irritated.I also do all the stretches that work that area. Have another masso appt this wednesday and then I gotta run my first 10k on Labor Day. I've cut back my mileage also and bought SuperFeet Green inserts to go along with the program. I was really sore the next day after the masso but she released all the tension in my hip/ buttocks and I am able to move around again after sitting for long periods of time. PF doesn't hurt me once I'm running, it's the long period of sitting that get you. MASSO- worth every penny my insurance is going to pay for !!

De-slacking in progress

opps- echorun is my DW- I was working on setting up her account and posted under her name- it's me... slaptear thats fighting the problem, not her

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

No problem slaptear! I appreciate your post. I've become a stretching machine and that along with some at-home massage seems to be helping a lot. Last night it finally didn't ache - but it sure is sore still. I'm going to ease into a little running again next week and keep up with my new routine. Proper insoles are in my future too!
                      ~ Fly ~
                      veggies on the run
                        Hi Fly I have had this problem on and off for most of my running. It seems to flare up every once in a while - like now Cry and I continue to run through it. I went to physiotherapy for it once but I think that's not very helpful. I feel it in the night because I have a cat that likes to sleep on my calves which pulls the piriformis. And no, I'm not getting rid of the cat. Clowning around I was told to do clam shell exercises and squats, the bridge and figure 4 stretch. There are some here: http://jaxmed.com/massage/pirformis_stretches.htm and lots more on the web - even YouTube. The time it hurts the worst is when I sit for long periods of time and it does slow my running. I find that each flare takes about 6 weeks to fix using the stretches. Best of luck with your recovery Ruru

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Thanks so much Ruru! I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with this issue - it's nasty! I have been a Googling machine since this hit - and those are the exact stretches I've been doing - along with some specific yoga poses like Pigeon pose. Most of the stretches seriously hurt right now, but last night I slept on the opposite side and it didn't ache one bit. You do give me hope that this is going away though and that I can run a bit through it. Oh and definitely keep your kitty. Wink Our dog (who sleeps on our bed) is one of my greatest supporters at times like this. Take care!
                          ~ Fly ~
                          veggies on the run

Along for the Ride

One thing that helped me a lot is the Yoga pose "pigeon". Look it up and try it. I had to start stretching my piriformis a lot after I injured my back, The PT recommended the pigeon pose. Hope you feel better soon ... MTA: Duh - you're already doing the pigeon I see. Cool

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

I was having some piriformis issues as well. You seem to be familiar with yoga poses; the ones that helped mine were "Cow Face Pose" and "Fire Log Pose (also known as "stacked legs pose" depending on what tradition is teaching it)." Both helped me tremendously and prevented further sciatic issues... Both poses can put strain on the knees and shouldn't be performed if you have a knee injury, so be mindful of your capacity and don't do them if you are not comfortable in them! Hope you feel better soon!
                                Fly--Same deal. I tripped and "jammed" my right hip (slang for piriformis) a few months back. I noticed a problem when sleeping on either side, although the injured side was worse. I've gone back to sleeping on my back and the problem has cleared up. I also started stretching better before going out. Good luck. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff