Bleeding Nipples (Read 911 times)

My last long run was 21 miles in the rain. But luckily, I wasn't doing it alone. When we finished, my running mates pointed to my white shirt. There were two red streaks going from my nipples all the way down my shirt. I actually hadn't noticed during the run. Only when I got into the shower did it start hurting and it did so for a couple of days. I had had occasional bleeding before on long runs, but rarely and never to this extent. I did put vaseline just like on other long runs. But I guess with the rain, sweat and rubbing the vaseline wore off. I used to use easy glide before and never noticed any difference than with vaseline. Any tips and tricks on avoiding this next time? Particular shirts work for you? I heard some use band-aids, do they work? What if you have chest hair ;-) ? - Ronald
      http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/a91495fa8b4649fc863b7af4b48824c7#focus Those oughta help. Luckily, I've never been plagued by this, but I can never pass up posts with the words bleeding and nipples. Running stores also sell "Nip Guards." Avoid cotton shirts.
        band-aides I always band-aide on long runs and races. hurts to remove but less than bleeding nipples....
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Band Aid Sports Strips. Soft. Stay on, but come off easily. Comes in many sizes.
            Comes in many sizes.
            Just like nipples Big grin
              Avoid cotton shirts.
              That's all I've ever had to do, never had a problem wearing tech shirts.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ostrich runner

I've always thought Bleeding Nipples would be a great name for a band.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Cheapest is to use just sport tape. Tear a "suitable" size piece and cover the nibbles. They are also easy to remove when your are still sweaty after the run or in a shower.
                  KvnJns

band-aides I always band-aide on long runs and races. hurts to remove but less than bleeding nipples....
                    Ditto.....I forgot last week and I have scabs now, but no bleeding.

Kevin

progman2000

Compression shirt & body glide works for me Big grin
                        Two words - Body Glide. I've done tape, band-aids (no help at all, due to chest hair), and vaseline (works, but messy). The avoiding cotton shirts advice is priceless, too. Body Glide is awesome stuff.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Thanks all. Since I was wearing a tech shirt (not cotton) and had applied vaseline and in prior cases body glide which usually work in dry conditions. I guess I'll keep a box of sports strip band aids around specially if I'm doing a long run in the rain. - R
                            Compression shirt.

Go Pre!

A Saucy Wench

Compression shirt.
                                or sports bra Wink Really its about time the "Bro" made it in to running circles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7