2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

weatherboy80

Good luck to those running this weekend!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

slingrunner

Subdood- Good luck!  Jealous of your weather.  We've had a lot of parallels here with similar training, both having students get us sick, and both considering bailing early in race.  Not enough exgirlfriends that still speak to me to space them out every 5 miles, but current girlfriend will be there at miles 6,12,17,and 22, so that's pretty close!

My hair is only about 2cm long, but I'm going to buzzcut it now, as I need every advantage I can get!  Temperature keeps climbing... now starting mid60s and moving into mid 70s with near 100% humidity..  I struggled to hit 6:30s in a 10K in better conditions last month... I think this is impossible.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck everyone! Sling, hope you can get it with that humid weather. SD, that is insane marathon weather which you may only get once in a lifetime, go get it! Madison, you're the forum leader, so expecting big things from you.

JT - I am not a fan of Rupp, although I think he beats Mo. I agree though that neither will win.

Cal - How the hell do you do runs over 20 miles with no water? Idk where you live, but in NYC summers, that would lead to literal death. There are days where you can get up as early as you want and you're still dealing with temps in the 80s and dew points in the mid 70s. I can't imagine the no water strategy is actually helpful, but the no gels certainly makes sense. I do agree with not stopping though!

I cannot believe how many people are getting sick right before their race...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Good luck racing tomorrow everyone. My weather conditions are looking good and I just need to work out if my niggles are all in my head or proto-injuries.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

slingrunner

Can't wait to hear the race reports from everybody.  Looking like dew point upper 60s for most of my race, so I think it will be over for me before it starts, but maybe I can learn something about hill racing for Boston.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

madisonrunner

Sling - I would still go for it and see what happens.  You might surprise yourself.  If you get to 20 or 22 and it's not going to happen then slow down/stop and find another marathon in the next month or two.

I'm feeling pretty good, anxious as always the day before a marathon.  I'm doing the Lakefront Marathon, bib 887 in case anyone wants to track.

Just to show how the sausage is made, here's my schedule:

Tuesday - cut toenails

Thursday - cut hair, delete watch history

Saturday - 2:00pm - dinner of pasta

Saturday night - if hungry eat bananas, drink gatorade

Sunday:

5:00 - wake, drink beet juice, poop

5:15 - 5 minute shakeout run

5:30 - poop, apply petroleum jelly (pits, groin, toes, heels, etc.), bandage nipples

6:00 - leave for race

6:30 - arrive at race, pick up packet

7:00 - change into race gear (shoes, socks, shorts (w/pills in pouch), singlet (or shirtless if raining/warm), sleeve on head/socks and/or gloves on hands (if cold/cool, to toss), long sleeve shirt to toss, watch, Maurten bottle w/ hotshot taped to it, 3 Maurten gels (1 in shorts pouch, 1 each on hips), apply more p. jelly, poop

7:10 - drop bag

7:15 - take hotshot, pamprin, caffeine

7:17 - 5 min run (last ~30s down to marathon pace)

7:25 - take caffeinated gel

7:30 - race starts, carry bottle with Maurten + endurolytes powder/hotshot, 3 Maurten gels, endurolytes/pamprin/caffeine pills

8:40 - finish Maurten in bottle

8:50 - take hotshot, pamprin, caffeine

9:00 - take Maurten gel

9:15 - take Maurten gel

9:35 - take Maurten gel

10:06 - finish race

Madison: Thanks for posting the pre-race schedule, that's very interesting.  I see you are like me and pre-race nerves result in a huge number of #2s; amazing how the body prepares itself.  I like how you list the finishing time as 10:06. Who knows, it may be even earlier!  Good luck and thanks for the tracking info!

Sling: See how you feel and play it by ear.  Good luck!

Finbad: Hope the niggles are not real; good luck!

2:52:16 (2018)

Madison:  pamprin????

BigGuySkinny

Good luck to those of you running this weekend!  Glad it's you and not me!

Madison went through 10k in 37:01, and the half in 1:18:14.  On track for a big PR, just needs to hold steady.

Not sure about Sling as there is nothing listed other than he started the race. Also nothing on Subdood, as he gave no tracking info.

Madison finished in 2:37:22!  PR by a couple minutes; great job!

SubDood

Big congrats to Madisonrunner!

Good luck to slingrunner!

I did not run today. I’m still coughing a lot and don’t feel well at all. I’ll try again in two weeks.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Big congrats to Madison! Hope he publishes his race report publicly this time, would love to hear about it.

Sub - good job bailing. Sniffles/congestion is one thing to run through, but running through a cough can lead to really bad consequences. Very smart.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Great result Madison, smart and brave move SubDood

Quick weekly and race report from me. Easy week with a nice race build up workout on Tuesday. Today's ideal weather conditions didn't really pan out, temps were great at around 10C but blustery winds and rain made it really pretty chilly in a vest and shorts. Really happy with how my race went, ended  up putting the watch in my pocket at mile 1 and just racing the guys around me, worked my way up gradually and stole time on some downhills (absolutely no flat running today).

Ended up just failing in my sprint to catch 3rd, having caught and passed 4th in the last mile, but happy with 4th and 1:17:20. Think one of my niggles may be about to turn into shin splints so a couple of easy week coming now.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Oct 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 5.4 7:39 Lunch Run strava
                                Mon 5.1 7:56 Afternoon Run strava
                                Tue 8.4 7:13 Lunch Runners adapted session - 10mins steady, 10mins strides, 10mins half pace strava
                                Wed 5.7 7:42 Lunch Run strava
                                Wed 3.6 8:35 Afternoon Run strava
                                Thu 6.9 8:04 Lego Run strava
                                Fri 5.5 7:41 Afternoon Run strava
                                Sat 4.7 7:22 Hammerless nail strava
                                Sun 3.5 7:24 Warm up strava
                                Sun 16.5 6:25 Neil McCover half and cool down strava
                                  65.3 7:23    

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k