It is that time of year to ask the big question . . . (Read 2402 times)

Hey man, pre-post correcting is the way to go. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I live in the Boston area so it's probably way more prevalent here but I'd venture 50% or more of the people you see on the street sporting Boston Marathon gear never ran the Boston Marathon.  Well, maybe not that high but a big number.

Yup, they's just clothes.

Well I guess I will never be hip now since everyone can do it.  I missed out on the whole Michael Jackson thriller craze so why not this one as well. 

I often wonder what a Boston Marathon medal really means as well since they allow charity people to enter as well and get one.  Not that I am against charities it is that just for once can't a race be about the runners?  How many people run a marathon because of the charity involved?  I think some do.  However, I believe that most run it because they see it as a major challenge and want to prove to themselves that they can do something like this.  Many start and many quit.  However, everyone that finishes a marathon, no matter the time, has done something amazing.  

Stepping off my soap box now and that is the end of my afternoon taper rant. 

2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Lazy idiot

"I often wonder what a Boston Marathon medal really means as well since they allow charity people to enter as well and get one."

It doesn't mean a damn thing.  Neither does any other medal you or I or anyone else here at RA could earn.  It's just a hunk of metal (or whatever it's made of). 

I would guess that folks with their name on their bib at Boston don't give a hoot about someone trying to break 3:10 in the same race.  And folks who run 3:10 probably shouldn't give a hoot about someone trying to break 5:00.  You're on the same course, sure, but it's a completely different race.

Maybe I'm weird, but in all but the rarest of instances in my life, my running is about competing with me.  It doesn't matter who else is in the race, in front of or behind me.  I fail to see how someone in a completely different race than you cheapens the run.

My rant is now over.  Good luck in your race.  I predict 2:44.

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey.  Drew.  Didn't some guy in a green tutu once beat you in a race?

I look my best blurry!

I sure hope you are right.  I love you log entry before your BQ.  That sounded like you went from one of the worst days ever to one of the best.  What a rollercoaster ride that must have been. 

I'm still riding it!  It isn't as much fun as a rollercoaster though!  

And as far as what Drew said, I believe running any race is my own person victory if I achieve my goal.  I'm happy for any others who have done the same.  I don't mind a little bling, but I really don't know what to do with it after I hang in somewhere for my family and friends to see for a couple of weeks. It is still kinda cool to me now because I'm still such a wannabe.  I'm sure if I keep this up I will throw it in a box somewhere the day I get it in the future.  

I know everyone CAN wear Boston paraphenalia but I'll know that I have earned it.  If I see someone else wearing it, I believe they at least will think the Boston Marathon is something special.  I don't care to worry whether they are runners of any pace or just athletic supporters.  It's all good!  Big grin

OK, I admit this is a bit sticky sweet.  Forgive me, I can't help myself.  Continue to vent.

Lazy idiot

Hey.  Drew.  Didn't some guy in a green tutu once beat you in a race?

EXACTLY!  And I got a carved hunk of wood for my "efforts".  And I'm sure Thunder thought that me "running" your rinky dink little marathon in 4:32 cheapened his carved hunk of wood.

Wink

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Carved?

Dude.  It was precision cut.  With a laser.

Lazy idiot

Carved?

Dude.  It was precision cut.  With a laser.

Ease up, dood.  I'm trying to make your rinky dink full mary seem rustic and stuff.

Tick tock

L Train

I don't care to worry whether they are runners of any pace or just athletic supporters.

Not a runner, if that helps.

xor

I often wonder what a Boston Marathon medal really means as well since they allow charity people to enter as well and get one.  Not that I am against charities it is that just for once can't a race be about the runners?  How many people run a marathon because of the charity involved?  I think some do.  However, I believe that most run it because they see it as a major challenge and want to prove to themselves that they can do something like this.  Many start and many quit.  However, everyone that finishes a marathon, no matter the time, has done something amazing.  

Stepping off my soap box now and that is the end of my afternoon taper rant. 

Oh good lord.

Dude. 

It's just running.  The medal (and whatever happy clothes you choose to buy) will mean something to you and perhaps your family.  Hopefully that's good enough because most everybody else is seriously not going to care.

And Boston kind of sort of is "about the runners".

Anyway, one step at a time.  Your next step is to show up at the starting line healthy in mind and body.  Focus on THAT.  Then worry about the BQ.  THHEEEEEEN start going ape banana wacky shit about how Boston isn't quite as exclusive as you'd like.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

As soon as Boston reaches the point of closing the same day it opens, I hope it makes everyone happy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I look my best blurry!

Not a runner, if that helps.

Does wearing this mean you're athletic? Or can just anyone wear one and it looses it's significance? Kinda like Boston marathon attire?

Depends on how and where you wear it.

I was going to post a picture of someone wearing a jock as a hat.  Instead, I give you a PSA: for the love of God, DO NOT image-search "jockstrap"!  Or, worse -- if that's possible -- "jockstrap head".

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I look my best blurry!

You did? Ewww! Now we know.
                              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I'm a competitive person.  It is just who I am.  I like to race against myself and I like to race against others. 

When I am training, I train for myself so that I can try and beat my PR's.  Which is how I think most people are.  However, when I am in a race I continue to look for people to pass during the race.  It allows me to focus on something short term and get my mind off of the pain that I am feeling while running the race.   I know most people say they race against themselves but can you honestly say that when you are approaching the finish line and see someone passing you that you don't try to keep up with them or not let them pass you?  You don't pick someone out to pass during the race?  If it were just about you then you would not care if someone passed you or not. 

I would like an ultimate race that a runner can strive to acheive and know that the people who are also in this race poured their heart and soul into training to acheive the same sort of result.  Sure for some it will come easier then most but that is life.  If everyone can run it then why even have time restraints?

Races like the Flying Monkey are the same sort of idea.  You know when you tell someone that you were stupid umm I mean insane enough to do that race and they did it too that you have an instant connection.  I plan to do this race.  I want that piece of wood. 

First things first though, like srlopez said, I need to qualify first before turning my nose up at it or registering the next day!

2011 Goals:
                                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)