1 day to go (to Boston) (Read 3437 times)

Yabbut what side of the road did they choose? 

Heheh, look how much Dire Tune cares:

Actually, in 2009, the elite women ran on the far side of the road from Wellesley.  I guess most of them didn't care much about the warm cheers from the girls.

The men elites however did run on the near side.  They probably didn't care but probably weren't bothered by them either.

Marquess of Utopia

12 days to go! Do I still have time to get in another 30K run?

Just changed the thread title!

12 days to go! Do I still have time to get in another 30K run?

At your volume, sure, why not?

For disclosure, I'm not running Boston this year.

Indeed, let's hope there's not repeat of hot 2004 weather (or 2003 or 2005).  

You know what I recommend to deal with the downhills -- not so much downhill training, but negative-split pacing, so your legs are not trashed when you reach or finish the hills. I've never done any specific downhill training for Boston (though I suppose it could only help).

This was my paceband last year. For my body at least, I've got Boston pacing down to a science; these splits are just about perfect.

Anyone going to use bhearn's pace strategy?

Marquess of Utopia

Just changed the thread title!

At your volume, sure, why not?

I'm just kidding... I will get in a few more 12's and a 14 miler a week out. 19 miles probably won't hurt, but won't help either.

Marquess of Utopia

I don't think I'm going to use a pacing strategy. I'm going to soak in a lot of advice. Like: "Don't go out too fast".

And run by feel and HR. I want to keep the pressure low and have fun. Running fast will be an added bonus.

Mental approach sounds ideal, Riggs.

10 days!

For the vets, what are some highlights (or otherwise) of the course that we might not know about. What to look for?

mikeymike

It's been a few pages since I mentioned how happy I am not to be running this thing this year so let me just say again, I am soooo glad not to be running it this year!.

Good luck you guys!!

Runners run

flovesparko

I plan on it.  I just got done making my pace bracelet.  Just need good weather now.

kcam

It's been a few pages since I mentioned how happy I am not to be running this thing this year so let me just say again, I am soooo glad not to be running it this year!.

Good luck you guys!!

Keep repeating this to yourself, mm, and by the 19th you might actually get yourself to really believe it!

kcam

Mental approach sounds ideal, Riggs.

10 days!

For the vets, what are some highlights (or otherwise) of the course that we might not know about. What to look for?

This is as good a place to see the sights ahead of time as any .... (tip of the hat to NaderAlfie for originally posting this)

http://www.adidas.com/campaigns/performance/ru_ss10/content/events.aspx

This is as good a place to see the sights ahead of time as any ....

Fixed it for you by adding the running world's cutest course tour guide.

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.