1000Km-621 mile club

wanderingoutlaw - Sept 29th (Read 4 times)

WO - I have lost track of you!  One day you were below the mark and then next day you were off the charts!  It took me some looking to see you ran a 24 hr race!

Congrats!!  Looks like you finished the 1000K in style with an awesome run!

How did you race go?  Anymore in your future?

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Awesome work! I'd been watching too. I knew it was coming.

Race report please! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

wanderingoutlaw

Thanks, Time2Run and Meg!

The race (Hinson Lake 24 hour) went well for the most part. I ran the same race last year as my first ever 24-hour event. Weather was better overall (cooler and cloudier) than last year; although, the first three hours were warmer and muggier than 2017. The course itself was slightly more barefoot friendly this year. Hurricane Florence had caused a lot of damage and the park rangers and volunteers had poured lots of sand on the trail. (As an aside, the race was lucky in the date of the event in that the race was two weeks after Hurricane Florence and two weeks before (former-hurricane) Tropical Storm Michael passed thru.

I ran well (with little walking or stops) for the first few hours before I totally outran my training. Kept steadily moving (walking and running) until hour 22 when I passed by last year's mileage. My motivation started fading then, and my feet and legs were hurting. So I took a break until 20 or 30 minutes to go when I went out for a final partial lap (which counts, as this is a USATF certified and sanctioned event).

I'm happy to reach the 1000k almost two months earlier this year than last. (Meg, I haven't had as much difficulty this year as last, as you may remember as my team leader for the 2017 in 2017. I've only had one 0 mileage week, and at least I got some walking in during that week.)

I do have one more big race this year: a 100 mile race in Florida in mid December. I'll train as best I can for it and try my best to reach the 100 miles, even though my training will be sub-optimal, as usual. The course is 29 laps of a 3.5 mile loop. The cutoff is 32 hours.

John

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I do remember. I'm glad it's been a better year for you. I can't imagine doing a 24 or 32 hour race. (Right now a marathon still sounds scary although I'm getting closer to a someday, not never on that.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I'm happy to reach the 1000k almost two months earlier this year than last.

Well done, WO.

Wish you the best for your very, very long races!

Wouldn't dream of running any such distances myself... 

wanderingoutlaw

Thanks, Pedro.
              I have no idea why I want to try to run such long distances, especially since I never train well for them.

John

I have no idea why I want to try to run such long distances, especially since I never train well for them.

Well, it is, no doubt, extremely challenging and my -- not that wild! -- guess would be that what motivates you is exactly the magnitude, the sheer scale of the challenge.

The fact that -- particularly, as you say, short of adequate training -- you've already completed a number of them is certainly no minor achievement.