1500 Miles So Go Run

2023 June (Read 6 times)

jeffdonahue

Here's hoping for a June full of nice weather, good runs and no injuries.

HappyFeat

Thanks for your update yesterday, JeffD. Glad that things are going in the right direction for you. Falmouth def sounds like something to look forward to and train for. Do you ever meet up at the race with people you only see there? Do you have anyone you anonymously compete with?

There used to be a trail race series here called Roots,Rock,Run that I participated in. I would always see this guy about my age and pace  who always wore gaiters in a cammo print fabric. I called him Cammo Gaiters in my head and was in secret competition, leap-frogging through many a race. I think I finally talked to him after about 10 years!

heffa47 - how are you feeling about your running? It looks like you're enjoying some faster paces.

kcam - re: RA's "condition"  It's disappointing but with almost zero communication from Eric, it's hard to draw any conclusions. Fingers crossed it won't go down permanently any time soon.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

jeffdonahue

My daughter and I are both running the race.  I have some family down there that I dont get to see very often so I will get to see them.  I've never had anyone that I compete with - at least not more than once.  usually during the race there will be someone that I match pace with and try to beat at the end.  But with upwards of 9000 runners it's hard to even recognize people year to year (except that one guy that runs it every year in a full lobster costume).

Also, even though it is a big race, I almost always run into someone else I know at the start line.  We have to get to the start pretty early so we are usually there for a couple hours before the start.

HappyFeat

JeffD -  The Falmouth race sounds like something to really look forward to and train for. Amplifying your wishes for June - hoping for a Summer of nice weather, NO injuries, and good running.

heffa47 - how are you feeling about your running? It looks like you're enjoying some faster paces.

kcam - re: RA's "condition"  It's disappointing but with almost zero communication from Eric, it's hard to draw any conclusions. Fingers crossed it won't go down permanently any time soon.

I'm actually on a bit of a setback. After my last aggressive run we had several days of rain so I didn't get my "recovery" walks in. I've been trying to get some brisk walks in to get my hip to calm down. It's gradually getting better but this week has been the worst since I started the walking therapy.

Eric's absence from the boards is very concerning. I thought I remembered that when he added advertising a couple years ago he had made this his full time job. Either way it appears RA's days are numbered. Eric's absence from even acknowledging the problems is a bad sign.

HappyFeat

I'm actually on a bit of a setback.

Well that's a bummer! If you feel the reason for the persistent flare-up is not getting the immediate recovery walks in - well that's a valuable takeaway, isn't it?   Does either icing it or using a heating pad ever give relief?

kcam

Hear, hear to a nice-weather and no injury June!

Falmouth is a great race and has always been on my bucket list. Is it still a lottery to get into that race?  Many races that were lottery are no longer like that, I think due to Covid.  People kinda moved on from road racing.  There's a classic race in my neck of the woods called the Wharf to Wharf.  Runs from Santa Cruz to Capitola along the Pacific.  6.0 miiles.  I ran it once back in the mid-90's and back then you just signed up and ran.  But since about 2000 they've had more runners than spots so it went to lottery but now you can just sign up and run it.  I am running it this year.  Yay!

Hope your hip feels better, heffa.

How's your running coming, HappyFeat?  Hope things are moving in a positive direction for you.

jeffdonahue

Yes, still a lottery, but my company sponsors the kids race on Saturday so we get a couple of numbers so I was able to get one of those for this year.

HappyFeat

How's your running coming, HappyFeat?  Hope things are moving in a positive direction for you.

Wharf to Wharf sounds like a blast! Their home page highlights The Road Show -- Wharf to Wharf’s own music festival, a 6-mile stretch of 50+ bands!  Some day....

Thanks for asking, kcam. It's coming along. I jumped from doing 6-minute jog intervals on the treadmill to doing a single 40-minute rep with about 10 minutes of walking before and after. I've done it three times so far. I just couldn't deal with the walk-run intervals when I'm so tired! So anyway, that's where I'm at. It's a pretty hard effort, considering it's a "jog."  I think my HR had a high of 193 today  :-) and my muscles complain a lot after. I'm going to stick with an every other day plan and work on increasing my pace. I know it will get easier.

My best news though is I've got a 6-day streak going of walking outside (1-mile) with NO dizziness or problems with proprioception! I haven't taken my hiking sticks or had to hold onto someone else. It's very encouraging. Not saying it might not come back, but 6 days is huge!

kcam

Great news hf! Keep that going.

I'm in AZ dealing with some stuff with my 86 year old Dad.  I've been lucky in that it's not been typical PHX weather.  Only been in the high 80s low 90s since I've been here.  Been able to run some, not as much as I like.

HappyFeat

Keep that going.

I'm in AZ dealing with some stuff with my 86 year old Dad. 

Well "that" came to a screeching halt soon after. I thought about deleting my post. Will let you know when I'm over this hump..or you can just look at my running log.

Does your dad still live independently? Do you have any brothers and sisters to help out?

kcam

Well "that" came to a screeching halt soon after. I thought about deleting my post. Will let you know when I'm over this hump..or you can just look at my running log.

Does your dad still live independently? Do you have any brothers and sisters to help out?

Bummer, hf.  Frustrating but keep at it.

It's a long story with my Dad.  He is living independently but the time for that to stop is coming.  He's also driving and absolutely should not be driving.  We have told him he should no longer be driving but he, of course, thinks he's fine.  We are considering anonymously reporting him to his states DMV.  It's a tough call, what's he going to do then?

I do have siblings and I am 2nd oldest of 9 kids.  Only myself and an older sister are retired and can help much. It's a difficult time as none of us live near him.  We want him to move to pHX where I have three siblings and they can help him.  We actually rented a house for him in Sun City West for three months in the hopes that he likes it enough to move here.  He has plenty of money to do so.  I've been staying with him the last two weeks.  Cramps my running but I don't mind.  We shoot pool twice a a day for about 2 hours each time.  He loves it(and I'm getting pretty good!).  Hope it makes him move here.

HappyFeat

Good luck with your Dad, kcam. It's a challenging time and really switches up the parent/child dynamics. DH and his two sisters went through that with his mom a number of years ago. She was in so many auto accidents and still insisted she was fine to drive! And it got to where she shouldn't be living alone either. They eventually overruled her, sold her house, and moved her into an assisted living place (without her car). She was quite vexed about it all, but accepted the necessity of it over time. I don't remember her exact age then - probably late 80's. She'll be 99 this fall, still alive and complaining about everything.

kcam

Good for your mother in law!  Glad it worked out so well.  How did your husband and siblings 'overrule' her?  Did she go along willingly or were there legal procedures they did?  My dad insists he's fine to continue driving - he's not.  He is still able to live on his own just fine, but the drivings a no-go.

Right now Sun City West is very low population - all the snowbirds have left for the summer.  So what is left are the folks that live there year-round.  So roads are pretty much empty and all of the rec facilities are so easy to get.  It's so pleasant.  Makes me want to live there!  His driving is bad, I always let him drive in Sun City West since the risk is so low.  It's like that old cartoon Mr Magoo.  Did you ever see that?!  Magoo's driving along and leaves a trail of destruction behind him that he is blissfully unaware of.  His problem was that he couldn't see, my Dad's problem is that he is stone deaf.  That's really what brought on his decline.

HappyFeat

How do you communicate given your Dad's deafness? Will he wear a hearing aid or does it not work for him? That's an extra hurdle for sure. Seems like there's always something that throws a cog in the wheel and makes them extra defensive.

My dad died 4 years ago at 89. He had vascular dementia and towards the end his wife was angling them towards the assisted living option and he didn't want to go. With his mental changes, he became very suspicious of her and his doctor and it was hard for her to make him understand the necessity. As it happened, he died much sooner and the only place he "moved to" was the hospital, a short stint in a skilled nursing facility, and back to the hospital.

With the MIL, no legal action was necessary. She went of her own accord, albeit unwillingly. It took months of ongoing conversations, never letting the subject drop, and pointing out all the reasons why it had to happen. She finally agreed, but was never happy about it.