1500 Miles So Go Run

2023 May (Read 6 times)

HappyFeat

I know kcam has mentioned backing up to Excel. Is Excel what the rest of you also use?  I've never backed up my RA data and clearly I should do that. Anyone want to volunteer a simple tutorial?

Happy to hear our injured runners are steadily improving. I am too. Currently up to 3 miles on the treadmill with 6 x 5-minute reps of jogging. Doing regular sessions of leg exercises to build up the quads/hams bc def lost muscle mass there :-(  Can't run outdoors yet due to balance issues. Still going to PT and that is helping.

I've been working on building a Long Walk on a nearby park trail so I can go hiking this summer. Currently up to 5 miles and aiming for 6 this weekend. The first hike I want to do is closer to 7 miles, so that will be a stretch, but we'll break halfway for lunch.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

jeffdonahue

Hi HappyFeat,

There are two options for backing up your data - Excel and XML.  I usually just run both when I do it.  I can look at the Excel version, but I think that if I ever needed to port over to another running log, it would be the XML file that would be used to upload my previous data to that site.

If you go to TRAINING LOG you will se an option at the bottom for TOOLS.

Under the TOOLS page, you will see an option for "Download training data to your computer" - if you click on that you will see that you can check off one of the two options above and then hit "Download".

Glad your running/walking is improving.

HappyFeat

Thank you, JeffD. Sounds easy enough.

kcam

I just download in .csv format and that is what gets imported into my Excel spreadsheet but Jeff's right.  Html format is more likely to be able to import to another site if needed.  Personally, if this site ever goes I will just start adding runs to my big Excel worksheet and not bother with another online log.  I would really, really miss RA's log.  I like it much more than Strava or Garmin Connect.  Here's to injury-free running, wherever we log it!

HappyFeat

How do you import the .csv into Excel?

jeffdonahue

Typically if you just save the csv file (make sure it has a .csv extension on it) you can go into Excel and open it.  If you can't see it when you go to File-Open, make sure that the file types you are trying to open is set to "All files" and then you should be able to see it.

kcam

Ha.  sorry folks.  I said ".csv" and ".html" file.  That's actually totally incorrect!

RA has the option of downloading either "Tab delimited" or "XML"!  It's been so long since I even thought about it, though I download it a couple times a week.  I guess I'm just on autopilot when I do it.  Anyway, the one to download is the Tab Delimited one if you want to import into Excel.  The XML option might work for other on-line log imports so, as Jeff says, it's wise to download both versions regularly.  The Tab delimited option downloads a zip file to your Downloads folder that, when unzipped, produces two files.  "Intervals.txt" and "log.txt".  The "log.txt" file is the one you want to import into Excel.  "Intervals.txt" contains any runs that you labeled in RA as "Interval".  I've never done anything with that file.

HappyFeat

, make sure that the file types you are trying to open is set to "All files" and then you should be able to see it.

Yep, I overlooked that. Now I see it.Thanks.

and thanks kcam for the extra info too. Got it done!

jeffdonahue

Have been able to get a few better runs in.  Got in almost 5 last Friday and then 6 on Sunday and 5 more on Monday.  Monday night I played pickleball that night, which I believe is the cause of the foot pain (but I love my wife more than I dislike the pain) and then just did a mile yesterday. But it seemed fine while I played, and I only played 2 games (about 20 minutes) when the last time I played was for almost an hour and a half straight.  It actually felt better after playing than it did before, so maybe just playing in smaller spurts right now might help with stability on and off the pickleball court.

It was feeling pretty good this morning when I went out.  Then I got lost in a really hilly section of a town I'm not super familiar with. I had planned on doing 4-5 miles but it ended up being a little over 6 and the hills were not great for my foot pain.  Trying to get up every once in a while from my desk to help it loosen up.  Tomorrow will be a rest day.

But overall, it seems to be healing - little to no pain when I get out of bed in the morning which is nice, and typically a little tightness at some points during my runs but nothing bad.  I'm still hitting it with ice, massage and stretching every day.  Not going to push the mileage right now and have already made the decision to bail on my 10 mile race this weekend.

Moving my next running goal/race out to August now - Falmouth Road Race (7 miler).  My all time favorite race - hilly first 3 miles, flat but hot next 3 miles along the beach, and then one large hill at the end.  But I grew up going to Cape Cod every summer and have been watching this race for as long as I can remember.