1500 Miles So Go Run

2023 April (Read 15 times)

HappyFeat

Still making good progress. Bumped up my walk/run to 2:30 walk/1:30 run. feeling good.

I'm thrilled you are doing so well.  Fingers crossed your knees weather the floor work without too much ill effect.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Flooring project is on hold. Found some major issues while I was pulling up the carpet. The interior wall has about a half inch of settling that has misaligned the molding. As I was removing the molding to fix the drywall I noticed there is a sewer drain line coming down from the upstairs through the wall. Then I noticed that there were several molding nails DRIVEN INTO THE SEWER PIPE! I don't even know where to go from here. I don't see any leaks but I don't think I can leave it like this. Oh, how I hate modern home builders (my home was built in 2003).

HappyFeat

Oh Wow! What a roadblock! I wouldn't expect to find a sewer line to be that close to the molding for one thing. Regardless, really shoddy work to drive a nail into a pipe and not know it, right? Aggravating is probably an understatement.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

kcam

I can totally see how they'd do that (doesn't make it right).  The guys putting in the molding are just going along with a nail gun shooting nails into through the molding into the wall.  They'd never even feel the nail going into that PVC sewer pipe.  I'd probably open the wall and replace that section but research what to do.

The guys putting in the molding are just going along with a nail gun shooting nails into through the molding into the wall.  They'd never even feel the nail going into that PVC sewer pipe.

I definitely don't blame the guys putting up the molding. I blame the framers who are required by code to put metal plates in front of electrical and plumbing. I have previously found areas in my house where there are nails very close to unprotected electrical. With all this bad talk about poor build quality and lack of following codes I think I am going to cheap out and ignore this. The nails are nearly level with the ceiling and the proper repair would involve removing substantial sections of the wall and ceiling. I removed the drywall so I can see the area better and verified it is not leaking. I snipped off the protruding nails and put RTV over the area.

In running news I decided to put in a "real" run to test where my hip is. 5 miles of 6 min run/2 min walk at 9:30 average. The hip held up fairly well. Some minor discomfort during that has faded almost completely after a couple hours of rest.