1500 Miles So Go Run

2022 December (Read 12 times)

HappyFeat

Welcome to December where we're all doing the best we can with what we've got! Perseverance is key to success.  Too trite?

I am still pursuing the "1400 mile bunny."

Fun fact: I just discovered my step length in Garmin has been entered wrong all this time, math not being my strong suit. Corrected this now. Can't wait to see my cadence take a jump up in GC.

Finally got a PT appt set up - for the end of January!  Fingers crossed I can get in sooner on a cancellation.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

kcam

Wait ... whut?  You have to 'enter' your step length in Garmin?  Connect?  Doesn't your cadence come directly from your watch?  Mine does.

"doing the best we can with what we've got! Perseverance is key to success. Too trite?"  No.  It's perfect!

I'm 15 miles shy of the 1500 mile mark as of this morning.  I'll probably get over the 1500 mile mark on my Sunday morning run and I'm feeling pretty much niggle-free!

HappyFeat

KCam I'm so happy you will cross over the 1500-mile line feeling terrific!

I don't trust my watch to figure out anything on its own!  For example, even though I put sleep parameters of 10 pm-6 am, it has been erroneously recording that I go to sleep after midnight the last several nights!

Setting stride length is in User Settings:

"To get the most accurate distance on your activity tracker, you can override the default with your own custom stride length. Use a known distance (10 feet) and count the number of steps it takes to cover the distance. Enter the distance and number of steps below, and we'll calculate your stride length."

ETA: Lightbulb moment

I think the stride length setting is for people who monitor their daily step count (not me!) and actually has nothing to do with cadence!

IOW, KCam you are correct that arm swing translates to cadence.

Sorry for any confusion!

HappyFeat

One final book recommendation: Ben Rawlence: "The Treeline: The last forest and the future of life on earth."

Reads like a novel. He's a great writer. Really knows how to capture your interest from the very first pages. It's an excellent book and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm thinking of dropping out of the group since I'm not in realistic contention for 1500 miles. My running has ground to a screeching halt at the moment. PT appt is not until the end of January. The exercises I've tried may have been too soon because they ratcheted up the pain so I could hardly walk for a couple days. Calming down now. Trying some other things.  If I improve, I'll try to get the last few miles to get to 1300 for the year. Anyway, clearly not 1500-mile material this year.

Best of luck to all you bunny-chasers and a hearty congrats to those who've met the goal already. So proud of you all!

kcam

Ahh, no.  Don't leave just because of the 1500 mile bar, it's completely not the center of what we do here.  Also, what books would I read?!

I'm about 3/4 through The Chaos Machine and I'm very much enjoying reading this stuff.  Ya know, I came to Silicon Valley when I graduated from the University of Texas, Austin in 1983.  Except for a 6 year stint back in Austin I've been in Silicon Valley ever since.  I was in, maybe, what might be called Silicon Valley 2.0 (the 2nd surge of semiconductor companies in the Valley).  I worked for National Semiconductor, Crystal Semiconductor (in Austin), Linear Technology and finally Analog Devices.  I kinda resent the denigration of "white, male culture" in those days.  I lived it and there were PLENTY of people besides his typical white males.  There were/are lots of people of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Persian, Philippines, Thailand etc etc etc descent.  There were no white boy clubs.  All it took was a willingness to work hard.    F that guy's characterization of that  time.  Sorry for my French there.

I have no clue about the social media wave that took over the Valley but I absolutely believe what he's saying is the truth there.

kcam

Double post .....

jeffdonahue

No, don't leave.

I am at this point not even going to make 1,100 so I think you're closer than I am.  Goals are personal and need to be moved around when things happen.  I'm hoping to get back to 1,500 next year, but still need to get everything healed up

I'm thinking of dropping out of the group since I'm not in realistic contention for 1500 miles. My running has ground to a screeching halt at the moment. PT appt is not until the end of January. The exercises I've tried may have been too soon because they ratcheted up the pain so I could hardly walk for a couple days. Calming down now. Trying some other things.  If I improve, I'll try to get the last few miles to get to 1300 for the year. Anyway, clearly not 1500-mile material this year.

Best of luck to all you bunny-chasers and a hearty congrats to those who've met the goal already. So proud of you all!

HappyFeat

Just checking in to say "Thanks for the encouragement." I didn't leave, though it may have appeared that way. My muscle pains and other symptoms escalated quickly and morphed into a whole 'nother beast. There are a lot of daily life things I've been physically unable to do, including running or walking. I won't bore you with the whole long story, but after sending an e-message to the doc he got me right in last Tuesday and ordered a dozen lab tests, casting a wide net to get to the bottom of this new issue. Half of the test results were abnormal and I had a follow-up visit today. We have a presumptive diagnosis. I'm starting a medication which if I'm back to normal in 2 weeks will confirm the diagnosis.  That will time with almost the end of the month. If I'm truly "back to normal" he said I should be able to resume running - so I have my sights set on those 3 miles to get me to 1300!  (sorry - I guess this did turn into a long story which is kinda surprising because I have a hard time stringing two thoughts together these days.)

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Woohoo! I beat the bunny!

Despite being a terrible year for my extended family, I kept focus on the pace bunny as the one thing I did for myself. So helpful!

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                    5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

jeffdonahue

Congrats way to persevere.

My running is sucking still.  While my knee/sciatica pain is definitely getting better - able to get in 2 miles with no pain at all (knock on wood) I have had a cough/running/stuffy nose for almost 2 weeks.  I went to Urgent Care last week and turns out I have bronchitis.  Which make some sense, because even though I have only been running 1-2 miles a day lately, my breathing has felt terrible on the runs.   Got some antibiotics and hopefully my breathing will be better by next week and the knee will continue to heal.

My hope is that by the new year all will be well.

Woohoo! I beat the bunny!

Despite being a terrible year for my extended family, I kept focus on the pace bunny as the one thing I did for myself. So helpful!

HappyFeat

Merry Christmas, RA buddies 🎄❄️.  Hope all who want to get out for a holiday run savor the pleasure.

It's been a snowy week here in the PNW, but beginning to warm up.

I am not able to run yet, so those final 3 miles may elude me. Best of luck to those chasing miles before New Year's!

kcam

Merry (belated) Christmas!  Been busy not running, no injuries - just traveling etc.

Congrats on running down the pace bunny, Re-Run!

kcam

Well, 2022's in the books for me.  Ended with 1601.8 miles after my run this morning.  Far short of what I wanted but still a very good year.  Hope everyone else had a good year.

Here's to a Happy New Year for all of us!

Ken

HappyFeat

Happy New Year, Running Buddies!

Congrats on all your running accomplishments, KCam.

I hope the rest of us on the DL can continue putting one foot in front of the other until running becomes easier.

I got my 1300 mile goal, but it was hard-won. I really needed it for my morale in the midst of my ongoing illness.

Turns out I've had the sudden onset of an inflammatory muscle disease. So life feels really hard right now.

Fun Fact: I got my diagnosis on the exact same date as my freak heart attack last year - Dec 16.

Not sure what to make of that, but I'm a little concerned about next 12/16!

kcam

Get better, Happyfeet.  Keep us up to date on what's happening.