1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

newbie question (Read 536 times)

Is there an advantage to wearing a stiff-soled shoe for biking? I am just using my regular running shoes - Nike Air Zoom right now.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

I'm new to the world of biking myself Chenille but from what I understand, a shoe with a stiff sole will help to spread the weight out throughout your foot better (as opposed to putting all of the pressure on the spot of your foot making contact with the pedals). Depends on what type of riding your doing, too. Road biking shoes have very stiff soles on them while mountain biking soles aren't nearly as stiff.
      Eternal Rookie

35 years ago I was told that the stiff sole on a cycling shoe was all about loss of power – the softer (more flexible) the shoe the less energy transferred. That was back when you nailed your cleats into the sole and if you didn’t get it right; you could mess up your knees. I bring that up so that if you do buy some clip in pedals and shoes, you make sure that they are adjusted correctly and the pedals have a decent amount of float. I’m mainly a runner, but I raced bikes for awhile in the 70s and then triathlons in the 80s and 90s.
          That makes more sense than my answer. Big grin I just picked up a pair of clipless pedals and shoes on ebay so that should prove to be interesting. I'm told that I'm gonna fall. Black eye
            That makes more sense than my answer. Big grin I just picked up a pair of clipless pedals and shoes on ebay so that should prove to be interesting. I'm told that I'm gonna fall. Black eye
            Big grin - I was told to stay away from those under my cirmcumstances. Roll eyes I tried my Mizuna's and I think that might be a better option - still with some cushion but a stiffer sole. Thanks for the help

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Clipless pedals make a huge difference, and all in a good way! Toeclips are better than nothing, but I used to have trouble with them making my toes get numb. Now I'm not sure I could ride without clipping in, as it gives you a full 360-degrees of power delivery to the pedals. And once you're halfway used to them, there's no danger of falling over unless you're really careless. The type of clips that I use are called SPD, and they're generally associated more with mountain bikes than road bikes. They're probably easier to clip in and out of than road bike pedals, and the recessed cleat means that you can actually walk around normally in the shoes. Off the subject: Anyone else get confused on calling these clipless and then talking about clipping into them?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Eternal Rookie

Off the subject: Anyone else get confused on calling these clipless and then talking about clipping into them?
                LOL I think it goes back to the days when they were first coming out – a racing pedal without a toe clip. They actually stole the idea from ski boot bindings and you’re absolutely right about being able to be a more efficient rider with them.

My bike is my therapist

Is there an advantage to wearing a stiff-soled shoe for biking? I am just using my regular running shoes - Nike Air Zoom right now.
                  Yes there is a big advantage. The power transfer to the pedals is much more efficient. As far as falling over, just plan ahead on your first few rides. If you even think you may need to stop just unclip one shoe. In no time it will become second nature. Its actually more difficult to clip in. I'm with "rochrunner". I would feel very uncomfortable NOT clipped in. I don't think you would regret switching to clipless pedals.
                  "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
                  5000 Mile Club
                  Half Marathon Trainers
                    I think it might be time to look for a new saddle - the one I have is still way too uncomfortable - even with wearing a pad. It's been about 3 weeks - should I give it more time, or just bite the bullet and invest in a new seat? I'll look at the clipless pedals in maybe another month - still having leg pain with stairs and I want to make sure that is totally cleared up before putting any more stress on my leg with biking. Thanks for the feedback Smile

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

This is the best stuff for saddle sores. Paceline Chamois BUTTr on Amazon.com http://tinylink.com/?s2EqNuOA51
                      5000 Mile Club
                      Half Marathon Trainers
                        I tried on bike shoes today..... I need to go back with my regular socks and inserts to try them on again - they are the kind with treads. I'm not planning on riding trails - but you never know...... Big grin The bike dude showed me the clipless pedals - they are scary looking Shocked - I think I'm going to get the shoes but need to wait a month to get clearance to step up to the pedals - I think it would be good to get used to them on the trainer before trying them outdoors. I read somewhere that you exert 40 - 60 lbs of pressure biking - how much force does that step up to with clipless?

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

... - I think it would be good to get used to them on the trainer before trying them outdoors.
                          Excellent idea. Get comfortable clipping in and out. After a few miles on the trainer I think you'll like it.
                          ... I read somewhere that you exert 40 - 60 lbs of pressure biking - how much force does that step up to with clipless?
                          That really depends on how hard you can "mash" the pedals Big grin Then again if your standing, pulling on the bars, you putting more than your body weight on each pedal. Where the clips really help is "unweighting" the rising pedal so the leg pushing down isn't also lifting the other leg. Think of your feet as traveling in circles.
                          5000 Mile Club
                          Half Marathon Trainers
                            Hey - finally found a pair of shoes!!!!! Specialized Taho mountain shoes. It seems like they are an inbetween - stiff soled, but with some flexibility above the plate. There is a cover that you can remove with a razor blade and add cleats to later. The tongue is padded just like regular athletic shoes, so I think it will be a good transition.

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Chenille, Nice choice. I wear the same shoes when I am riding and also know I will be walking also. They are stiff enough but not super stiff like a road shoe. I find them to be very comfortable unless I am riding for over 4 hours, then I would prefer something stiffer.
                                That's good to hear, I went to three stores and tried on lots of pairs before I found these. I can't see myself riding more than 2 hours, so they should work fine. Thanks for the feedback Smile

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group