2000Km-1243 mile club

August - Hotter Than July? Discuss (Read 544 times)

So Jeff, I notice you just ran 7+ miles at 8:30 pace - yay for you! whooo hooo! I'm so impressed.

Couldn't run that fast if my life depended on it!...well maybe...if that were really the case.Joking

My recovery is going well and I might even say that I'm fully healed.  I'm still down on fitness but at least it's feeling good again.  I'm still ramping up mileage with the old 10% rule and doing the rest on bike or yoga.  After my mileage gets back to 25/week I will start sprinkling in the speed work again.

The hurricane hit us pretty good here but we had minimal damage.  A couple days worth of yard and pool cleanup and we are back to normal.  I only lost one shingle and one of the vents off the top of the house but there was a savvy roofer going around our neighborhood doing small jobs for very cheap so I got it fixed for $40.  We were without power for about 6 hours so I never even had to fire up the generator.

Hey pukekura, good job right back at you! Marathon next week?

Was going to do the Hawkes Bay marathon, but couldn't be bothered driving 3.5 hours to get there and another 3.5 to get back....that and the price of petrol.

Might just do 6 laps around our 7km block :-)

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Thanks for the update, Jeff. Relieved you came through the storm so well. 

Puke, sure can't blame you for changing your mind about the Hawkes marathon. I enter very few races because either there's none in my immediate area or they're too expensive. I don't like the big events anyway; so it's not a big deal to me. I rationalize I can run the same distance without the hoopla and expense on my own and just do the occasional small event. Someday in the future though I think it would be a highlight to meet up with some RA peeps at a race.

Had my birthday today - god! I'm officially Old! oh well, life goes on just the same, doesn't it? I'm happy I'm here and achieved my "birthday goals" of (at least occasionally) 16 mile LR, 35 mpw, and 10 mpm pace.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Happy birthday Happy!

Its especially great that you are hitting your goals - it might take me another couple of years to get close to your paces and consistency. Have a great week, A

Recalculating...

Happy Birthday Happu,

And more news on your namesake...he is on his way back to Antartica.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5520599/Hundreds-farewell-Happy-Feet

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Nothin' better to do on a Sunday afternoon but check out what you guys ran today - rest day for me - a hour of yoga - battling paint fumes indoors though from painting the bathroom - may have to sleep outside in a tent tonight! Seriously!

Then I was spraying RoundUp on weeds and the sprayer "spit" in my eye when I was pumping air into it. So not my day for chemicals.

Ayola!! 12 miles today!! how did it go?

Jeff - another 7-miler - good for you!

Thanks for the update on HappyFeet, Puke! I'm glad to know he's going home.

Russ - you ran 5+ with no trouble?

drphibes - how's it going?

12 miler went well, we have a nice "rails to trails" path here in town that I use for runs over 10 (it's about 3.5 miles from home) I ran that part a bit too fast and the last steep hill was deadly but overall I really enjoyed it. Today - looks like I have stomach bug, I got a short spin done but I won't be venturing far from home. Bring on the Internet! How's it going for the rest of you guys???

Recalculating...

Had my birthday today - god! I'm officially Old! oh well, life goes on just the same, doesn't it? I'm happy I'm here and achieved my "birthday goals" of (at least occasionally) 16 mile LR, 35 mpw, and 10 mpm pace.

Those stats don't sound like your getting old to me.  Happy belated birthday!

The miles are starting to stack back up for me.  7 milers are feeling easy and I even did a little 3 mile tempo.  I'm still not super confident going longer than about an hour so I did my long run on the bike again this week.  I managed to stretch my long ride to 37 miles today (just under 2 hours) so I'm pretty happy about that.  Hopefully my legs will catch up with my cardio soon. 

Us runners are fickle creatures.

After deciding not to do the Hawkes Bay Marathon last weekend because I would have to drive for 3.5 hours to get there.....I sent off my entry over the weekend to the Marton to Wanganui 66 km relay race.  5 hours drive away, but a chance to visit family.

Two catches...firstly I have entered as a solo runner, and secondly it is this saturday.

I don't think I was drunk or anything, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So  I have quickly sorted out my support crew, and busy trying plan some sort of schedule so I can remember to eat and drink.

Luckily there will be about 5 other experienced ultra-runners doing the solo option so I can be baby-sat a bit.

You also get lots of support from the people doing the relay.

Not really physically prepared for it at all, but at least I can check my mental capabilities.  And I will have 9 hours to get it done.

Initial plan is to just get to the 50km and take it from there.

BTW you can track Happy Feet the penguins journey from this website.

http://www.ourfarsouth.org/Track-Happy-Feet.aspx

Hope it isn't a Garmin GPS or he will probably end up with the polar bears

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Puke, I don't think fickle is the right word exactly - lunacy comes to mindWink 

I understand the family thing making the choice a bit easier, but driving 5 hours to run over 60K  - next Saturday!!!

you crazy runner youRoll eyes  Seriously, I wish you all the luck in the world in your endeavor and can't wait to hear about all about your result.

Us runners are fickle creatures.

After deciding not to do the Hawkes Bay Marathon last weekend because I would have to drive for 3.5 hours to get there.....I sent off my entry over the weekend to the Marton to Wanganui 66 km relay race.  5 hours drive away, but a chance to visit family.

Two catches...firstly I have entered as a solo runner, and secondly it is this saturday.

I don't think I was drunk or anything, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So  I have quickly sorted out my support crew, and busy trying plan some sort of schedule so I can remember to eat and drink.

Luckily there will be about 5 other experienced ultra-runners doing the solo option so I can be baby-sat a bit.

You also get lots of support from the people doing the relay.

Not really physically prepared for it at all, but at least I can check my mental capabilities.  And I will have 9 hours to get it done.

Initial plan is to just get to the 50km and take it from there.

BTW you can track Happy Feet the penguins journey from this website.

http://www.ourfarsouth.org/Track-Happy-Feet.aspx

Hope it isn't a Garmin GPS or he will probably end up with the polar bears

I love the craziness of this plan! I would man the water station if I didn't live on the other side of the earth.

I ran a short zippy three this morning to test out the stomach, no longer leaky and feeling 85-90% so I'm off to the office, A

PS My phone seems to think I ran 8m/m this morning, ha ha I'll live with this fantasy for another hour or two.

Recalculating...

Puke - 66Km on minimal training...I love it, sounds perfectly rational to me, who says runners are crazy?

I ended up doing my first real speed work yesterday.  I went for what I planned to be about 5 miles but about 1.5 miles in the storm clouds came rolling in.  I turned to head back and with about a mile left things started getting nasty.  The last .75 miles i was trucking!  I made it to the car moments before the skies opened up.  It felt good to let it rip a little but my feet are complaining today.